Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ***Practice for a greenhorn***
- - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-20-2007 03:53
i was wondering if anybody could offer some knowledge in practicing on pipe.i have gathered up a 8in bevel machine.what schedule,tips on the root,filler and then the cap.i know it would be better to show someone,but for now this will have to do.im just trying to get started,n e advise would help thanks
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 11-20-2007 13:33
Get yourself a bunch (means a lot) of pipe coupons all beveled up and ready to go.  Tack em up one at a time in case you want to change your root openings or lands.  Run a root in and inspect.  Tack another one up and run another root and keep doing this till you get your roots down.  When you have your roots down go to your fill and cap passes.  Don't do a fill pass and move on to the next one and do another fill pass.  You need to see how your cap is going to come out with the fill pass you just put in and if it didn't work out you can adjust your fill pass on the next coupon.  I like to flush out my fill passes and run a hot and quick cap so it looks like you rolled it out.  You really need some visual to see how things are supposed to look.  Do some research on the process you are using and see if you can find some pictures of root, fill, and cap passes in that process.  Hope this helps ya out some!  Keep asking questions as well and people will steer you in the right direction.
Parent - By mody454 (**) Date 11-20-2007 18:30
feather your tacks too other wise you will have lack of pin. also when you are getting good pin you will here it keep your rod burried in it. best to start in 1G wher eyou can move the pipe around
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-20-2007 22:58
thanks alot for all the help.i kinda had a basic idea of what it should look like.on the root should it be flush on the inside or a lil humped up?im going to get some thick walled 8in to practice with.my brother makes fun of me because im always looking at welds at places im at if it alows me to.thanks again.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 11-21-2007 13:22
I'd start out shooting for the root to be a little humped up because you can always get flush if you need too.  No more then a 1/8" humped up above the base material though.
Parent - By mody454 (**) Date 11-20-2007 18:33
try starting out with a 1/8th inch landing and a 3/32 gap using 1/8 6010
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ***Practice for a greenhorn***