Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / NOCTI
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-03-2007 22:33
I have been informed that one step towards being acceted as a vocational education teacher is successful passing of a "NOCTI" test.

Looking at the information on the website, I have decided to take this test as soon as possible. Does anyone know if it must be taken in the state in which you live or are interested in teaching in ?

I have heard that the local vocational school may be looking for an instructor.

Thanks for your time.

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-05-2007 01:08 Edited 11-20-2007 21:06
I took the test back in the mid eighties. Tough, but very interesting.

Part one is a four hour multiple choice test similar to the CWI examination. A little heavy on safety, for instance, how many fusible plugs and where are they located on an acetylene tank?
I still remember the "gist" of that one!

Then there is the hands on practical test. I walked into the room where the hands-on was to be given. There was a stack of coupons of various base metals on the table. A pile of welding leads, some assorted gauges and flow meters, several different tanks of different fuel gases, shielding gases, and oxygen. The machines were sitting with a mocking smug look about them.

The proctor gave me a test booklet and told me I had a set time to complete as many of the hands-on tests as I could. He told me one of his primary rolls was to evaluate how I handled the "safety" aspects of welding as well as to evaluated the test welds.

As far as I can remember I took the following:

6 inch schedule 40 pipe, cut to length, bevel, fit and weld. One half was welded open root with short circuiting GMAW using vertical upward progression. The opposite half was welded using SMAW with a E6010 root using downward progression and finished with E7018 vertical upward progression. Then torch cut the coupons from the 2:00, 4:00, 8:00, and 10:00 O'clock positions for face and root bends. Remember, the torches had to be hooked up and the welding machines had to be hooked up as well as running beads.

I also had to run a vertical up, open root on 1/8 inch aluminum using GTAW.

An overhead fillet on 1/8 inch carbon steel T-joint using an oxy-acetylene torch.

Almost forgot the vertical braze on a T-joint of 1/8 inch carbon steel.

And last, a 3/8 inch carbon steel open root single V-groove butt joint. The entire root and second pass was laid in using vertical upward progression with E6010 and finished with E7018. Once again, coupons were torch cut and tested with face and root bends.

I am proud to say I passed all the tests and was awarded 29 college credits toward my Bachelor of Science degree. I was told at the time that 48 states accepted the examination for vocational welding instructors.

I only wish the AWS Welding Educator Committee would consider this program in place of the nightmare they are proposing.

Good luck on the examination. I encourage you and anyone considering a career as a welding educator to take the NOCTI examinations. I can't say the same about the AWS proposed examinations!  No college credits for the AWS test!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-06-2007 00:48
I have the written setup at a college near where I am working in Baton Rouge. I hope to go get that taken care of next week. $150.00 is alot cheaper than some OTHER tests!
Parent - - By SCweld (*) Date 11-20-2007 18:25
I took the nocti when I began teaching in 2004.  the written test was long but easier than the CWI.  As noted above there are a lot of safety questions.  The hands on was OK.  3G with backing 6010 R, 7018 F, 5G open root MIG, OFC (which was burning your coupons out of the 5G MIG, ACAG (which was gouging off your backing for the stick 3G), 2F Tee joint with GMAW Spray (start and stop in the middle and fillet weld test for fusion), GTAW 3F mild steel and aluminum, Brazing stainless steel tee-jointAll the material was cut and prepped and ready to weld.  All the machines were set up and running.  Easy test.  I guess things were harder in the 80's. 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-20-2007 21:05
Were you offered college credit for passing the examination?

Al
Parent - - By SCweld (*) Date 11-26-2007 13:38
I received 30 college credits for passing.  15 for the written and 15 for the hands on.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-26-2007 17:29
Not a bad deal for anyone trying to change career paths and become a welding instructor.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / NOCTI