Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FCAW splatter reduction?
- - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-08-2002 02:28
Hi folks:

I have a small 90 amp flux-cored wire feed welder (sort like a gasless MIG) that I'm using on some home projects. It has two power settings (60 amps and 90 amps), and a continuously variable wire speed setting. I've managed to get some pretty good welds out of this little box (mostly using 1/8" thick angle stock). However, this thing produces a ton of splatter. (I guess this is from the flux core in the welding wire, right?)

Is there a different type of flux-cored wire that will reduce the amount of splatter? I see recommendations on this message board for different types of rods to use with stick welders that reduce splatter. I'm surprised that there isn't flux-cored wire with low splatter flux. If anyone knows of a source, please post! Any other suggestions, please post those too. I end up welding for 5 minutes, and grinding for 30 minutes, and I'd rather turn that around!

Dave

Parent - - By n5uzt (**) Date 07-08-2002 02:49
check to see what polarity you are useing
the ground cable should be connected to the + positive side
the gun should be - negative
this is called straight polarity
the opposite would be reverse polarity
the splatter is controlled by the voltage and wire speed combination
your mach may not have any adjustment for voltage
what size are you running?
try .030 it is more expensive than larger sizes. but may be more controlable.
Parent - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-08-2002 11:22
You are correct, the machine does not have a voltage adjustment. It's a slightly higher voltage at 60 amps, and a lower voltage (I believe it's 31 Volts) at 90 amps. (The 90 amp setting is what I'm using.) The ground clamp and torch cable are hard-wired into the machine, so there are no polarity markings on the outside, but I'll have a look inside to see. I'm using 0.03" wire.
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-08-2002 08:09
What type of shielding gas are u using ? eg. Pure CO2 causes haevy spatter. Try mixed shielding gas : Ar + 20% CO2 , you'll see the difference.
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-08-2002 11:25
The machine uses flux-cored wire, so there is no shielding gas. However, I'd suspect that there's got to be some type of flux-cored wire that is "low splatter" since there are welding rods for stick welders that are low-splatter, right?

Dave
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-08-2002 14:42
There are more types of flux cored wire !!!

(1) metal(powder) cored wire : can be compared with solid wire, but with higher deposit and penetration ; with shielding gas

(2) flux-cored wire with shielding gas

(3) self shielding flux cored wire : the shielding gas is formed almost in the same way as stick electrode welding

Self shielding wires are normally used for constructional works on site. For use indoors, prefer metal cored or normal flux cored. Those wires have lower spatter levels. However, don't forget the important role of the type of shielding gas !

If you want to try another self-shielded cored wire : ESAB OK Tubrod 14.17 ; let me know !

Maybe you'll have to try stick electrode welding ... Better weld quality then self shielded wire !!!
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-08-2002 17:59
Yes, I was referring to self-shielding flux-cored wire. My little unit isn't adaptable to shielding gas, it's designed to use self-shielding wire.

Actually, trying a stick welder instead of a wire-feed welder is something I've been thinking about. I suppose I'd have to just go buy an inexpensive unit and give it a try, as stick welding takes considerably more skill than using a wire-feed welder (right?). I'm a pretty patient guy, though...[smile].

You said "weld quality is better" with a stick welder (vs. a wire-feed welder using self-shielding wire). What do you mean by quality? Neater looking weld? Less splatter? Stronger weld? Better penetration? Please, do tell!

Regards,
Dave
Parent - By kam (**) Date 07-08-2002 20:22
You get what you pay for. Took a look at the link for the stick welder you are considering and I personally would spend a few more bucks and buy a Lincoln. I have a Lincoln AC/DC 225 and it does everything I want it to. I think you can buy these units for around 350 or if you want to buy an AC only unit they are around 200 bucks.

Your Mig unit falls into the same catagory (you get what you pay for). Sounds like it is very limited as far as the adjustments you can make.

If you dont have alot of money to spend on a stick welder try hitting an auction or two. I see the Lincoln AC/DC 225 units generally go from 150 to 200.

Just a few ideas/suggestions

kam
Parent - - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-09-2002 07:06
Stick electrodes can offer better weld quality : mechanical properties (strength etc.) / smooth surface (eg. heavy rutile coated electrode) / less spatter then self shielded wire / better weld pool control / less risc to weld fusion problems. And it is much easier to weld !

When you're considering to buy a stick welder, please do not forget to check the so called open circuit voltage (OCV). This voltage should be as high as possible to easy strike and restrike your electrodes. There are lot of hobby machines that do not have a high OCV, so not every type (rutile, basic, ... etc. ) or electrode diameter can be used.

Almost every stick electrode is for DC use (even for aluminium) ; so maybe there's no special need for u to have an AC / DC machine. Just DC will do.
Parent - - By DaveSisk (**) Date 07-09-2002 11:23
Thanks again, Tim. By the way, what output voltage would you consider a "high" open circuit voltage? 30V? 60V? What would be the ideal target for a 220V input /100+ amp output stick welder?

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the specs on these three machines?

#1: This one has DC output and 50V OCV.
[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44568[/url]

#2: This one is actually a brand name, but is apparently AC output.
[url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41620[/url}

#3: This one is also a brand name, and is apparently also AC output.
[url]http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=98103-000001703-K1170[/url]

Dave
Parent - By Tim Buyle (**) Date 07-09-2002 12:38
I believe for DC stick electrode welding you'll need minimum 50 V OCV ;
The machines you refer to are heavy and not portable. Check out this machine on following link :http://www.esabna.com/html/esabna01.html ;
Follow : Products --> Catalog --> Arc welding equipment --> DC power source inverter --> Miniarc 140i
This machine is half the weight, portable, capable of 140 Amps welding current and can be attached to 230 Vac. The minimum OCV 50 volts permits long mains cables. I believe the price is also good. Refer to a local dealer.

I wish you good luck with electrode welding.
Parent - By pipeliner1 (*) Date 07-16-2002 03:42
if it welds good and you are happy with the resuts,, just get ya a few cans of anti spatter, and spray it on the surrounding metal that you are weldind on, if you can`t find that ,, use a little WD-40 ,it will work fine ,,, the BB,s will fall right off with a file !!!!!!!!

good luck,,,,,,,,,,,
Parent - By pipeliner1 (*) Date 07-16-2002 03:52

BY the way ,,,it is spatter NOT splatter
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FCAW splatter reduction?