Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welding of structre steel
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 11-24-2007 11:43 Edited 11-24-2007 11:50
i want to weld structre steel ( steel 37) with smaw method the joint was fillet weld - lap joint, the thickness was about 1 cm for every plate,   I want to know the suitable electrode for this case
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-25-2007 17:50
Sorry, not familiar with that material specification.

Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-25-2007 20:20
If your calling it steel 37 and structre, I am assuming your refering to British Standard 080 X 37. The X is a letter code. I believe it may be A for your purposes, but without more specifics I can't be sure.
Assuming your talking about the carbon version A37
Steel 37 is refered to as urinal steel in the netherlands, obviously they don't have a high opinion of it. I've seen it in the Netherlands, England, S. Korea, and the Ukraine.
As for what rod to use, I believe you need to be more specific before a good answer can be given. There are a lot of variants to this this in regards to grade etc.
In the instances I've seen it, it was welded with 7018, and I have to side with the dutch in that it's prone to problems, assuming I have drawn the right conclusions to your question.

If your talking about the Stainless? version B.S. 420 S 37, you will definitely need to be more specific as by my recollection, it covers a number of different grades of duplex SS.
Jeff and Al can give you a better answer on this one. My experience with Duplex is limited and I believe they can give you a better answer.

It would help also to post the specific UNS number rather than the BS number

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 11-26-2007 16:00
If its urinal steel I would assume it does have some minimal corrosion resistance in mildly ureic media.
LMAO!!!!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-26-2007 16:31
LOL I believe it's a take on being "piss pour" steel dutch style
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-26-2007 20:52
alkhiat is talking about DIN steel St37, a low carbon steel whose mechanical properties are somewhat lower than those of ASTM A36.
alkhiat, if you're going to use SMAW, i..e., covered electrodes for manual welding, my recommendation is the following:

E-6010 electrodes for the first and subsequent passes except the last one (being St37 a medium strength steel it doesn't need E-7010).
Perfect cleaning between passes, using a grinding wheel.
Last pass with E-6012. In fact, being E-6010 a cellulosic electrode, it doesn't show a nice looking finishing, which E-6012 (rutilic) does.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-26-2007 22:20
GS crisi

I missed the part where he was specifying DIN ST37. My assumptions are based on the use of the word structre.
If in fact alkhiat was refering to the DIN version, then you would be correct. I would like to see exactly which
version they are refering to, which is why the multiple caveats in my post.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-26-2007 22:43
Gerald,
DIN St37 is a structural steel and I'm sure is the steel alkhiat is talking about.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-26-2007 23:22
I hope your right. However; I've seen the other variant used for it. It's not meant for it, but it's been used.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-27-2007 14:57
Another case of incomplete information being provided and responses that are at best are "best guesses".

We try our best to provide meaningful answers to questions, but we can't give good answers to questions that provide insufficient information.

That raises the question, is the individual asking the question a tradesman or a professional?

If the question is being asked by a tradesman, there is a question of "does the tradesman actually know what material he/she is working with?" If not, why doesn't he/she? It has been my sad experience that most tradesmen do not understand what information is provided by the  material specification that may or may not be marked on the material or in some cases on the drawings. That is a failure on management's part, i.e., insufficient training. It also causes me to question the WPS that only lists the AWS group or ASME P/S number. If the tradesman doesn't understand material specifications, how on God's green earth does management believe the individual will comprehend the difference between a P1 and P4 and the importance of that difference? Recently we had a thread where the welders were not using the proper preheat on an alloy steel. It is management's  failure to provide proper training (importance of preheat) or management's control over their processes.

If the person is a professional, then I have no sympathy. Full and complete information should be provided so there is no question about what material is being used. A case in point; last week a client called and left a simple message on my answering machine, "What is F22?" A good question, but the designation could be a steel alloy or an aluminum filler metal. I needed more information before I could answer the question.

Best regards - Al 
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-27-2007 16:05
F22
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-27-2007 16:08
Very instructive as always!:)

Best regards - Al
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-27-2007 18:56
alkhiat,
you see all the confusion your question has raised. Would you please clear up waht material you're talking about?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-27-2007 23:01
All good points.

Crisi has a point as well. It could be DIN. However the manner in which the question was ask and the words and spelling, lead me to believe the opposite.
The areas I've seen the alternate used are not areas that are known for engineering or good industry practices.
Parent - By alkhiat (*) Date 12-17-2007 20:00 Edited 12-17-2007 20:08
thank u everybody ,  and i am so sorry for confusion the material grade in the engineering drawing for the tank supports to be welded  is steel 37. and no other information , after searching I found that steel 37 equivalent to astm A 283.
THANK YOU AND SORRY AGAIN
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / welding of structre steel