Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME IX welder performance test dressing
- - By mick dale Date 11-27-2007 20:00
Did dual welder performance welder qualification tests (EN287 & ASME IX). One of the welders dressed the plate and weld cap before i could stop him. I know this is a reject to EN287. I had a look through ASME IX but couldnt find a reference to dressing/grinding the finished surface of test pieces. Could someone advise if it is also a cause for rejection in ASME IX?
many thanks
Mick Dale
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 11-27-2007 20:22
ASME Section IX is silent on this as far as I can tell.

The issue is pretty simple though, in my mind.  If the welder did something you don't like for any reason, simply give him/her another plate and have them redo it.  In this case, if you have two other plates that were not ground on, you could make a qualitative judgement (of the dressed up plate) based on the appearance of those two:  if they look good, accept the other one.

Just my simple minded opinion.

Charles
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-28-2007 09:47
My question would be did you provide the welder with instructions on what was and what was not acceptable on the test?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when a welder takes a test with me they are provided with written instructions of what they can and can't do, what tools are acceptable for preparation and interpass cleaning, what hold points must be observed (for in-process inspection), and the acceptance criteria that will be used to assess the test piece. Before they strike their first arc, I read it with them, ask if there are any questions, and then they sign it and keep it in their booth with the written WPS. All the paperwork is handed in with the test piece at the conclusion of the test.

It is unfair to change the game rules half way through the test. Neither AWS D1.1 nor ASME Section IX address grinding for interpass cleaning or dressing the welds once the weld is complete. There is nothing wrong with limiting the amount of grinding as long as the welder is informed of the limitations before the test starts. Likewise, if there is a need to limit the width of a weld pass because of limitations imposed by the code or due to company policy, it should be clearly stated before the test starts.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 11-28-2007 14:02
Good write up. 

We do much the same thing, and I should point out that I don't do the testing on a regular basis.  I only fill in infrequently when our test shop administrators are out and we absolutely need to put someone through.  As regimented as it's supposed to be, sometimes I question myself as to whether or not I adequately explained the policy.  If there is any doubt in my mind, I generally give the welder the benefit of the doubt.  But your policy seems very straight forward and not unreasonable in the slightest.

Charles
Parent - By mick dale Date 11-30-2007 19:04
thanks for the replies above - good points
The welder has been a coded welder with the company for over 25 years. At least 14 of those have been EN287 tests (alongside ASME IX), which state you cannot grind/dress a finished welder performance test piece. He knew this but i fear he was trying to "loose" a defective cap while i was out of the bay.

I looked through ASME IX and couldnt find a reference to dressing finished welder performance test pieces and was keen to know if i had missed anything.

Mick
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ASME IX welder performance test dressing