Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1: A519 Gr. 1026 as A106 Gr. B
- - By rickc (**) Date 11-28-2007 01:21
One of our subcontractors wants to use their Group 1 to Group 1 WPS to weld ASTM-A519 Grade 1026 (an unlisted steel in D1.1:2006) and call it ASTM-A106 Grade B (a Group 1 material). The faxed me the MTR which states:

Specification
  ASTM A 106 Grade B and C Rev. 04b Except weighing of individual tubes
  ASTM A 105 / A 105M Rev. 03 For chemistry & Properties only
  ASTM A 519 Rev. 03

The chemical composition, tensile tests, etc. are all within both specifications. The reference to "weighing of individual tubes" is from the ASTM-A106 specification #16.1 determining mass variance per length of pipe so, technically it's not ASTM-A106 but, from a weldability point of view I don't think this is significant.

Any thoughts?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-28-2007 03:36
Are you the EOR, owner's inspector, or third party inspector?

Only the EOR has the latitude to accept such a substitution, read paragraph 1.1 Scope in AWS D1.1-2006.

Who is going to swing from the yardarm if something goes south on the project?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 11-28-2007 17:29
We are the manufacturer/seller and ultimate responsibility resides with us. Our engineering department signed off on it this morning which would bring it into compliance with the code under section 1.4.1. I can reject it as a quality assurance issue but, I'm inclined to agree with engineering in this case.

This has been interesting though. If we buy a piece of material that happens to comply with several ASTM material specifications, as most MTR's state they do, and run a PQR with it then, in theory, we've opened up what our PQR qualifies us for quite a bit more than we have been doing. There is alot of overlap in ASTM specifications afterall and Table 3.1 and Table 4.9 list just a few. Hmmm.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-28-2007 17:49
You might be on to something.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-28-2007 17:51
Just wondering... If engineering approved both the material and your subcontractor's WPS, and assuming your welders are qualified to weld using your subcontractor's WPS, what would be the quality assurance issue that would be cause for rejection?   
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 11-28-2007 17:52
What is it with the time of the postings?
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 11-28-2007 18:42
At my company and in terms of rejection, Quality Control has to specify a specific line item in the specification, code, etc. to reject something. So, in this case QC could not reject it as with the EOR's approval it is in compliance with D1.1. Quality Assurance, on the other hand, can reject on the basis on the final quality of the product e.g. we could simply say, "It's not good enough." In this case I could add that the material is not in *full* compliance with the ASTM-A106 Grade B specification, which is true, and require our sub-contractor to qualify by testing as an unlisted material in accordance with section 4.0 of AWS D1.1:2006.

...Assuming that I was of that opinion.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 11-28-2007 18:56
I like that "Quality Control has to specify a specific line item in the specification, code, etc. to reject something".  I guess you do that on a report? If so, that's good practice, and can also be a learning tool.  Much better than seeing some generic code on a QC report, then having to look at a legend to see what the code means, such as WSW (wrong size weld).
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 11-28-2007 19:14
Heh, we try but, could still be better.
I assume this is all pretty standard ISO stuff but, QC fills out a Non-Compliance Report (NCR) which then goes to the Management Review Board (MRB) for disposition. They've got plenty of acronyms and codes to save time/space but, we all try to be very specific. Like you said, it's a good learning tool for everyone involved (keeps us current, honest, etc.) but, those code books sure wear out fast! I'd love a digital version with a search feature.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1: A519 Gr. 1026 as A106 Gr. B