Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / protecting torch hoses: sun damage
- - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-15-2007 22:28
I bought a new set of hoses for my welding truck this summer around July.

They are always in the weather and in the sun.

Now, the hoses are starting to leak because of dry rot.

What do you mobile rig runners use to keep your hoses from rotting away?

I'm also concerned that the brass Victor gauges are going to tarnish excessively or that the rubber diaphrams inside them will dry rot. I've got a 1-year old Victor O2 gauge that has started making a squal whenever the oxygen is flowing through it.

Any ideas? Putting a big canvas bag over my equipment is working for now, but I have to uncover it at each use, recover when I'm done, and the tarp is just ugly.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-16-2007 02:22
you sure you got the right type of hose for the gas your using? I worked over 20 years in phoenix and never went thru hoses that fast!
Parent - By litchko (*) Date 11-16-2007 02:29
Same here I've had my gauges for about 15yrs&hoses for7yrs never covered anything up(got saftey covers for my gauges).
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-16-2007 12:34 Edited 11-16-2007 14:24
I'm in East Texas, and we had a wet summer.

As for the hoses, they are probably something cheap - they came with a hose reel that I won on eBay. Then again, I've never heard of "name brand" hoses!

Do your guage protectors actually cover the guages? The ones I've seen at the welding supply look like they are only made to prevent the top from snapping off or someone walking off with your guages. I wouldn't mind seeing pictures or links to some guage protectors. The only thing I've found is this:

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-16-2007 12:44
Nifty little rig and website you have there Joe!
Parent - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-16-2007 14:28
Thanks Lawrence! I earn my keep as a computer programmer by day (which also includes medical and dental insurance), which goes a long way in making a nice website!

If I could find a way to reasonably insure my family, I'd give my welding hobby a go at full time. I certainly have more fun working for myself that I do working for "The Man."
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 11-16-2007 15:21
doesnt good year make hoses? or is that just air hoses. i know ive seen their name on some kida hose lol 
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-17-2007 06:22
I have seen torch hoses with familliar manufacturers names on them. The guage protecters I have seen are similar at least in concept to what is pictured, and intended to protect from moderate impact. I have seen stamped steel for Smith and formed aluminum for Airco/Concoa. The Harris models in the picture look like they may be plastic.
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 11-29-2007 03:09
I use a T-grade hose because I run a lot of propane. Very good stuff. A little more expensive but worth it. I think I gave $80 fo 100' of it 2 yrs ago. Never had a problem.

As far as the drying out goes, I use Armor-All occaisionaly on hoses and leads. Keeps the material from drying out so bad in the sun.

GH Weidman
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-29-2007 12:02
1mancrew:

How does Armorall react with oxygen? I've used it on vinyl and it seems to leave an oily residue. Would this be safe on an oxygen hose or fittings?
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 11-29-2007 15:05
Keep it off your fittings. But on the hose should be no problem.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-29-2007 03:53
Make sure they are not made in china
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-29-2007 05:29
i run 100 ft of 1/4'' hose and 50' 3/16 whip only hose i trouble with is the whip and thats jus cause it gets burned up cause i dont watch what i doin i've bought new hoses 1 time in 10 yrs and thats cause the hoses i started w were old and free when i started i still have them too never know when ya might need another set quick
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 11-30-2007 01:26
just use a bolt and insolate it from your rig.hook your lead from the welder to it.it will make the whole reel hot.bolt the other lead to the reel,wind it up and your done.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-30-2007 02:21
there are bearings in the real 1 wrong connection and they are stuck and running 3/16 rod the lead would get really hot and woulding that cause it to stick together if it got to hot
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-29-2007 14:30
I figured they were probably made in China. The hoses were part of the setup that came with a hose reel that I mounted to the truck (I should really take a more modern picture of my "heap," "welding rig," etc.). I got it off of ebay, and it was the least expensive one I saw.

Aw poo! (Are there language rules on this board?) I just answered my own question! I got suckered into buying crap on eBay! Who would have thought?

So when I go to get my replacement hoses, do I just tell the guys at the counter I want good quality hoses? I'm guessing the welding supply store won't carry the low quality hoses that came on the kit pictured above.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-29-2007 16:23
I think you have the answer to your problem
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-29-2007 17:24
i would ask for victor or forney hoses t grade is best i use r grade but most of my work is ranch n oil rig work why spend good money if it's jus gonna get tore up. the reel is a good idea just make a housing for it to slide in and out of to keep the sun off of them i've seen it on several rigs looks and works good how much did you spend on that reel i got 1 at tractor supply to use for my leads for 50$ but i cant figure out how to use it wiyhout hooking and un hooking the lead
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 11-29-2007 17:47
raftergwelding: I paid about the same price: $50, plus shipping: Oxy-acetylene welding hose reel

I didn't realize Tractor Supply carried these, though. I haven't seen them in the local store; but then maybe these are one of those item that has to be requested.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 11-29-2007 18:02 Edited 11-29-2007 18:07
the reel i bought had 50' of air hose on it i cant figure out how to use it the way i want to so i'll jus mount it in the shop for my compressor i needed the hose anyway and my old hose jus lays on the floor by the compressor i ahve not seen any reels with torch hose at TSC. Damn 35$ shipping ouch i would of looked at a store sumwhere or made my own lol. you could prolly make a cover out of some 12 or 14'' pipe and make to slide in and out of the cover on a piece of 1 1/2 in. pipe or square tubing i've seen them made out of 8'' split in 1/2 and extened with 12'' strap to make an oval ( egg shaped ) so to speak opening dont look real hard to make jus time consuming
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-30-2007 02:50
I think what does any hose in is any tight bends............
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / protecting torch hoses: sun damage