Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shop Problems
- - By Mat (***) Date 11-21-2007 13:23 Edited 11-21-2007 13:30
Call me anal, but if problems are run across, is it not common sense that they should be resolved, and not repeated?  In the place I work at, guys get away with so f*cking much, that it makes it really REALLY hard to keep motivated some days.  How do you guys deal with it?  I can't say much more than that, but man.

Politics, Fog Ducking, etc.  I go to work, and do my thing regardless of what goes on, but lately it's been really pissing me off!  (Ehh, watch what happens when I shov' this stick up is @$$, boy, now ee's really pissed awf!)  I gotta wonder how the place I work at makes any money.  It's like a soap opera.

I've only been welding since 2003 and really know f*ck all, I work with what I know and go from there, but c'mon! 

Actually, it's more like elementary school, I swear to god!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-22-2007 04:10
Unless there is another part of the company that makes money, places like You describe end up going broke. It may take a while before all the creditors figure out that the money will NEVER come through, but at some point it happens.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-22-2007 09:57
Sounds to me like you had a less than pleasant day. I doubt anyone with experience can say they haven't had such a day as you describe.
A few words of advice:

1.) The only way to win the political game is not to play. Doesn't matter who you know, how well you dance the political dance, eventually, you will lose. It may not be tomorrow, or 4 years but the day will come.

2.) Don't worry about what the guy next to you is doing or not doing as long as your check doesn't bounce at the bank. Do your job to the best of your ability whatever job it is you do.

3.) For motivation, if you derive your motivation from the workplace environment, that is your first mistake. Develop your motivation externally from personal ethics, honor, and the desire to succeed at anything your doing. When your motivation comes from within, it doesn't really matter what is happening without.

4.) Understand that even the best have problems from time to time. There are idiots everywhere. Learn when and where to let the steam off with the sure knowledge that doing so on the shop floor is a mistake. Punching a guys lights out who well deserves it on the shop floor doesn't work in the long run. It sure as hell feels good at the moment, but it solved nothing. If you can't resist the urge to kick the living sh## out of a well deserving individual, find em outside of work, and away from witnesses.

5.) There are some individuals who never made it past elementary school in regards to mentality. Avoid those people if possible, but don't let them drag you down to their level.

6.) The sixth and final point, when all else fails, remember point one, if that doesn't work, find another job as you are in an untenable situation.
Parent - - By dobsalot (**) Date 11-22-2007 12:55
Just read your post and to my amazement that is exactly how I view my situation.  I see so much politics going on in our buisness that you would think they are all runnin for mayor!  And I avoid being apart of that.  I just  do my job, the best I can, and at the end of the day I feel good about myself. cw1555 you should have your own show! great words of advice that I wish more people had the same attitude.
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 11-22-2007 21:00
Can you get any satisfaction from the boss? I have been responsible for as many as 20 guys at one time in the construction industry. All with egos and problems of there own. With so much going on and so many men for me to keep on track it's easy to let my finger off the pulse. I always appreciate a heads up or word of advice when there's something in the wind. There are men that I work with both high in the chain of command and just starting that I will trust. One screw off will turn a well oiled machine of a crew into a debacle. If your saying something won't be well recieved then bide your time, learn as much as you can, and move on when the time is right and on good terms. Without good management the help can't be much better, it'll just be a matter of time before the MAN steps in or the place folds. Luck.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-22-2007 22:41
Somehow I don't see myself in that role. I'd never make it as I tell it how I see it, where most prefer you tell them a lie. You want evidence of that, the next time your wife ask if she's getting fat say yes, Or the next time a production supervisor ask if your going to be done on time, tell em no way in hell.

My wife God bless her actually has come to understand me on that one. She doesn't really want the answer, she's learned not to ask the question.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-23-2007 02:31
i like all your answers...way to go!
Parent - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-23-2007 03:50
i went to build drilling rigs...... and got out of the problems real quick.......and it put them in a bind too because i was the only one train in doing what i was building
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 11-28-2007 10:40
Hey, thanks for the words of wisdom!  I appreciate it.

Suffice to say, I've mellowed out somewhat from a week ago, but I'll definately be keeping the above in mind.  Back in the day, my favorite form of venting involved throwing the nearest object.  It got expensive though, going through so many helmets and all... ;)
Parent - - By d-on Date 11-29-2007 15:17
Matt,
There has been alot of good advise here and you will do well to pay attention. With everyone here there are decades of experience in all types of situations. I'll tell you what I did, not the perfect solution but it worked for me and you will tell your story in 10 years, what ever it is. 14 years ago I worked for a meat packing company in the maintenance dept. I started to learn how to weld there. The politics were unbareable, there were rumors about everyone even the plant manager and his "favorites". I stayed there for 4 years because I had a wife and 2 kids. I learned everything I could, I would take the horrible jobs and learn them and improve. I would take team leader opportunities and learn about management techniques. When I just couldn't stand it aymore I left, I went to work at a local weld shop and I decided to go to school. It took me 5 years to cram in a 4 year degree and I borrowed plenty to get it done. I have been out of school for almost 4 years. The day I left school I doubled my income and my school loans are gone. I have 4 kids now and my wife doesn't have to work. I work in a world leading company and love going to work, the people are excellent. Are there politics? sure there are, there always will be. The key as stated above is to keep out of it. Do you job and let your boss catch you doing it, bosses aren't stupid they can see who is taking advantage of the pooch. My point is do your thing and it will pay off, and yes I too know the replacement co$t of a welding hood=)
Parent - By nick thompson Date 11-30-2007 21:45
work on your ability an supervision will see it an youll run the show an set the standard someday
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 12-01-2007 08:37
Mat, there is plenty of sound advice here. I might add that you are the only one you can control. The skills you are polishing right now (since you have been welding since 2003) will land you a better job when the time is right. I have been with the same company for just about 14 years and they are pretty big(150-300+) employees. I avoid the politics. Help out another crew when needed, not always directed to do so. I try and keep my hood down. I have seen alot of people come and go. Sometimes it takes years for management to realize that certain employees are useless. Eventually, that will catch up to them and out the door they go. Sometimes we get so busy they hire temps who are anything but vested or interested in seeing a job go well or the skill level is less than our core people. You hope they atleast contribute. We have employed apprentices who you wonder if they'll ever make the grade turn out to be fine craftsman. Patience, really is the key cause you don't know who will come out of that "box of chocolate" ..........they might be really good.
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-01-2007 17:28
where do they put on the temps at?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shop Problems