Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fabtech
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-30-2007 03:34
Fabtech, 2007 - Cleveland...............who was there?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-30-2007 04:15
Fabtech was in Chicago....

But I was there

Al was there too  and Stephen

Ross was also
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-01-2007 01:33
Whipdeedoo!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-01-2007 16:47
Thought it was in Cleveland, oops. Anyway, just wondered what kind of new toys they had there this year, or was it the same ol?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-01-2007 21:11
Ya know Sour..... For me its hard to tell....... I've been to a bunch of Fabtech/Expos..... And I always see stuff thats new to me... but is it really new?  I dunno

Lots and lots and lots of different vendors from China selling inverters.  But no demos... They only had colorful plastic boxes with all the guts removed I suppose to save weight.

ESAB was doing demos on a ShortCircuit Pulse spray hybrid GMAW power supply that looked pretty cool on thin aluminum... Don't know how a PQR would go with sidewall fusion issues and all.... But they let me play with it and the welds looked good.

ESAB was also doing demos with that 710X FCAW wire... Amazing

Avista had some really good looking samples made with all position stainless SMAW electrodes that had Al very interested... The profiles on out of position welds were better than anything Ive ever seen with SMAW and stainless.

I got to play with a phased array UT thingie and it was really cool....... but again I'm not a UT expert so I might have been easily impressed.

I also tried on some really comfortable welding hoods and I can't remember the brand now and it's driving me nuts.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-01-2007 22:44
Lawrence,

If you happen to remember the brand of hood let me know, mine just got swiped this last week.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-02-2007 07:51
Empty Housings: That could be due to some other reasons. 1) If the machine doesn't perform as well as others, You don't want everyone to know. 2) They havn't built any due to insufficient capital. They have the supliers all lined up, and after they get the orders they will have the money to buy the guts, build the machines and ship them.
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 12-02-2007 12:42
With all of the time and research that Lincoln, Miller, Esab, etc. have put into giving us great equipment over the years, I say screw China and their copy cat junk. Just my opinion.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-03-2007 04:26
I tend to agree for the time being. When Chinese companies start developing new technology, building quality machines, and setting up a service network to support thier products I will reconsider. That probably won't happen in My usefull lifetime.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 12-04-2007 16:50
Hey Sourdough,

I was there as Al and Lawrence were there, too.

And the most important I have seen there was - of course - these both gentlemen! :-)

But I have seen some other quite good things, besides that what Lar has stated already when we have visited the AVESTA people - unfortunately without the blessed Chuck Meadows. I had amongst others a good talk with a gentleman coming from Montreal Canada and who was the president of a rather small company named 123.certification.com, see also http://www.123certification.com. He has invented a simulation program or software respectively, making it possible to manually "weld" without really welding. It was truly impressive and the presentation looked quite good, but even no real arc was ignited.

I am honest, I have stated particularly this here since I am curious how the "true" welders in the forum will react on this and perhaps may estimate what the future of this or similar tools might be.

In my eyes this - although high grade sophisticated - can never substitute the real welding training on site or in the shop, but can rather support the training in a very specific way. For instance to represent the very first steps in welding...

What is your opinion?

By the way, I was once again impressed by the AWS people. I could honestly not withstand and have purchased another book once again (my wife meanwhile doesn't say nothing no more!). They had a monitor at the booth where they have presented a video which must have been shown on history channel (Modern Marvels) in the US a time back and wich was entitled "Welding - Binding Ancient Technology to Modern Life".

My colleagues an I were fascinated due to the content and you know what? The AWS persons who have recognized this, have donated each one of us an appropriate DVD of this movie!

I must say this was an absolute great action. As I always say, the AWS is somewhat quite special - even excellent!

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 12-04-2007 17:00
Next year it's in Las Vegas.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-06-2007 04:27
your kidding me.........."what happens in vegas, I'm telling everyone" - I'll be there!

Regarding Stephans post : I think it is absolutely excellent to have a "video game" type of learning program for beginners. I have always been around welding, so I learned hands on. I think the reason that there aren't more professional welders out there is because it is one profession that is totally aggravating to learn at first. No matter how much you study, it wont make you a better welder, (hands on).

I really believe that most people who try to weld and quit, they quit because they give up prematurely. If they stick with it, they will fall in love with the blue light like we have all fallen in love with it. With the technology we have, I really don't understand why there hasn't been more focus on simulated welding .............
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2007 11:01
I spent over an hour with the guys doing the "Virtual Welding"

The military and several prison systems have invested in this stuff.

There are some very real benefits...  Can they replace arcs, sparks, noise, smoke etc?   Not on your life.

Can they get beginners to start learning to read the puddle with better gun angles?  Yes yes yes!

A simple review of the technology and hardware?  I like it alot.

The drawback is cost... In order for a training facility to make these things work, there must be one virtual welding unit for every learner, and the cost for each unit is very high... Many thousands.... 

So until the cost comes down to earth... Only the military and other agencies who are spending tax money without oversight  will be likely to buy this kind of learning tool.
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 12-06-2007 13:33
Did anyone look at the system from France? From what I saw last year I liked it better.
Andy
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 12-06-2007 18:26
Hey Lawrence,

great fellow!

I hope you are doing quite well!

It was a true pleasure and honor to having met you in Chicago...

Good points from you, in particular the apprenticeship of beginners to guiding them on the very first steps and thus providing a fundamental understanding of the subjects you have mentioned.

I was both impressed and surprised as well, how realistically the program works (simulating spatter,...).

Although I have not asked on the costs for the software I can imagine that it will have its price and thus each welding school might consider twice before purchasing it. On the other hand it saves long-term the costs for base materials, consumables, electric power,... .

But as Sourdough has already stated, "Hands on" is surely the secret to fall in love with the "blue light".

Will be interesting to observe the future progression in this field!

Best regards, as well to your charming lady!
Stephan
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 12-06-2007 18:07
Sourdough!

Cheers for your estimations!

Good to read!

I like in particular: "If they stick with it, they will fall in love with the blue light like we have all fallen in love with it."

Take care and best regards,
Stephan

P.S. Perhaps next year in Las Vegas there will meet some members more..? :-)
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-11-2007 21:39
I also think they ought to make it mandatory for folks renewing their liscense in any state that has blizzards to spend an hour in a simulator...........?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-12-2007 03:57
welding is my life i started when i was 14 in high school and chased owning my own rig for a long time and i caught it in 1997 for 1500 10 years later lots of pipe pens and gates and fences and drilling rigs latewr and my pipe welding still aint all that great but i never had any formal training reading you guy's and the other fellas post on here is helping alot thanks guys for being so informative and willing to share your experience by the way i'm 39 now 1 day i'll catch that root pass and it'll all be over with i'll hit the line if theres any left
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fabtech