Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Greetings, from Aktau, Kazakhstan!!!!
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 00:56
Hi everyone, I haven't been back in much because I've been traveling to my new job, starting today... working now in Aktau, Kazakhstan.  So far, it doesn't seem real bad but then I won't really have a grasp of what I'm up against until I get to the job (oil works).  All I really know is the crude has a very, very high H2S concentration and the temperature in the region has fairly significant changes.  For the moment, it's not too cold, maybe about 40F.  I'm very much looking forward to the technical challenges offered by this project!  Hope everyone is well and doing good!!!

Jon
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 12-03-2007 00:59
Very Nice.   I liiiike!!!
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 01:01
Kazakstan... oh boy. Well at least you have the right attitude for it. "looking forward to the technical challenges".
That area gives a whole new meaning to "sour service".

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-03-2007 02:43
Is that in/near Afganistan?
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 12-03-2007 03:20
Take care around the H2S, that is some nasty stuff, keep an eye on where the wind is blowing.

Charles Welch
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 12-03-2007 03:56
I worked in Tengiz. H2S concentraton was about 27%. Drug up after 6 weeks.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 12-03-2007 06:27
jon , happy to hear from you . just got my new keyboard so try to be on more . be careful and keep us posted . let us know if we can help . wish i could travel but can't . hoping to hear more about your adventures . good luck . willie
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 08:50
Thanks all.  I am working ONLY onshore, no offshore required so H2S exposure (at least for me personally) is limited.  Really, from what I've seen so far it seems like its going to be a very, very good gig.  Will keep y'all informed!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 15:23
We'll look forward to hearing of your escapades!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-03-2007 16:15
Say hi to Borat for us!
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 12-03-2007 17:28
Good luck in your new adventure....sounds like a hell of a change!!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-04-2007 07:32
Well, to be honest, it's a going to be one hell of a challenge, the technical specifications are very, very tight... I understand with the H2S environment but it seems things may be a bit overdone... still, I only have one day on the job behind me so maybe they'll make more sense as things progress.  Much, much, much tighter than the nuclear world, thats for sure!!!  I've a good friend who's been in Tengiz for about 6 years now, he's on a 28 day rotation whereas mine is 6 weeks on, two weeks off... he likes it and I am thinking I will also like it but may feel a bit different once my initial 6 weeks are behind me.... ;-)
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 12-04-2007 17:19
Jon!

It's good to hearing from you and to see that you have duly arrived and... that you have the ability to e-mail us!

Well, I'm looking forward to read what you may experience over there and I am sure that I am not the only one ;-)

Take good care of yourself and my best wishes,
Stephan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2007 17:59
Hey Buddy! Glad you made the trip OK...
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 03:09
Thanks again all, I have excellent access to internet etc., so I'll be coming on a bit more regularly once I get sorted out (still haven't unpacked my suitcases yet, been that busy, lol).  Good hearing from everyone and thanks for the well wishes, so far everything is fine and I'm looking forward to many new technical challenges and continuing to acquire knowledge in our field!!!
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-05-2007 04:46
jon, what company  if you don't mind my asking do you work for and do they hire welding supervisor etc. Curious.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 07:28
Richard, I am with KBR, International (formerly Haliburton until this year and before that Kellog, Brown & Root).  We are doing Project Management here and the Contractor's all have their own Welding Supervisors.  On our level, it is simply a managment role, sorry I know that's probably not much help to you however, from what I've heard, KBR has been awarded a major contract in Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico so you may want to visit the KBR website and see what's up.  The Corporate offices of KBR are located in Houston, Texas.  Good luck to you!
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-13-2007 04:32
Good luck jon, and be careful. Always know which way the wind is blowing.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-09-2007 21:24
any camels over there?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-10-2007 10:53
None that I've seen.  However there is a mascot or symbol if you will that's a double hump camel, dunno what it means or stands for... this is not the middle east by the way, it's considered Asia.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-10-2007 20:57
im didnt do very well in geography
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 12-11-2007 04:46
There are camels there up north towards the Chinese border
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-12-2007 00:52
There were the two hump type of camels in the Bugs bunny cartoons, because they sat between the humps.  The single hump type camels I belive are more commen in the middle east.  I would imagine they would be more uncomfortable to ride.  Anyway, be careful over there, I'm not familer w/ the area but don't call a camel or inanimate object Muhammed, they might get really pissed off at you.   chris
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-16-2007 22:33
GOOD LUCK KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE FLAPPING ORANGE CONE AND CHECK THE BATTERIES IN YOUR PERSONNAL H2S SENSOR DAILY AND REMEMBER IF THE GUY NEXT TO YOU PASSES OUT RUN LIKE HELL
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Greetings, from Aktau, Kazakhstan!!!!