Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding S shapes AWS SEC5 fabrication - Beam
- - By geralderik (*) Date 11-27-2007 21:34
We are uniting web flange beams there is any restriction in terms of welding the web as the flanges, in Peru usually make welding web with the flange are separated at a distance of 300 millimeters minimum.
I looked into the D1.1 2006 section 5 reference 5.17.1 which sends Figure 5.2 displays the cutting beams is straight with acces hole there was no overlapping joints.
Can anyone have more information about this.

Greetings

Erik S.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-28-2007 10:00
Sorry Erik. I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. Can you attach a sketch?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By geralderik (*) Date 12-03-2007 20:03
Scheme 1 shows splice of the beam straight ahead.
Scheme 2 is a kind of bridging is done in Peru, someone has knowledge whether the AWS D1.1 contained something of this splice.

Thank

Erik S
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 20:09 Edited 12-03-2007 20:12
Hello Erik;

I guess there was a long lag due to the wireless connection I'm using. The sketches came through after a bit of a wait.

My experience has been that most splices are as shown in detail 1.

Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-03-2007 20:13
I can see just fine Al, ,look at first post
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 20:52
Hello Ctacker;

I'm missing the point of you post.

The first post didn't have any sketches attached.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 20:37
Same here...I usually see them as detailed in the top sketch.

However a bit off topic....we are now seeing end plated beam-moment connections with no rat holes. My shop just did 4 of these beams the other day and didn't look closely enough at the dwg and added access holes through the web as they have been doing for many years and when I asked the engineer about this, he made us cut off the end plates plus enough of the beam to get rid of the access holes and weld on thicker end plates to make up the difference. That mistake cost us about 80 man hours to correct that lil boo-boo.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 20:50
How did you ensure CJP for the flanges or were fillet welds the only requirement?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 21:41
Al, I have to run so I'll be brief...but they were full pen at the flanges(with backing welds placed first, backgouged through the open bevel to clean the root) and fillets both sides of the web. Yes, there is a small spot where the web and endplate meets that you can't get. It is a newer seismic detail per our engineer Ron Meng.(sorta new,1996)
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-03-2007 22:39
does your engineer realize if a crack propigates from the center of flanges at the web, it will crack into the flange and web, versus having a rathole to stop the crack? I'm no engineer but a rathole seems to make the most sense!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2007 11:02
Ctacker,....Yeah, he(Ron Meng) is well aware of how this connection reacts...he was involved with all of the destructive testing on these joints back in 1996 after Northridge was shaken.
Reference the AISC's Manual of Steel Contruction 13th edition page 12-9, paragraph: Shop and Field practices, this explains what his findings were.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-04-2007 15:02
John,
Unfortunately, I haven't worked around AISC in close to 10 years, but I would be interested in seeing the results of his findings.
I posted a link to a website where i used to work a couple weeks ago, that showed a slotted web moment connection being destructively tested, made an interesting video!
Parent - By Danfer Date 12-04-2007 18:59
Hi Erick
the detail is very problem, because, no good practice to CJP.
The best is CPJ with weld acces hole for the flanges
The other detail only exist in Peru

Regardes

Danfer
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-04-2007 02:25
erik,

You wouldn't happen to be on that LNG project down there south of Lima would you?

I've seen the connection your talking about in number 2, but for information there is not much to add. If your doing it to D1.1 you have the relevant information, and assuming again that your drawings call for D1.1, then I would suggest trying not to re-invent the wheel and go with the details per engineering specs.

If your trying to design, and trying to figure out which is best, There are pluses and minuses to both. However; the one detailed in D1.1 is tried and true, so it might be a good idea to stick to conventional wisdom on that one.

Regards,
Gerald
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welding S shapes AWS SEC5 fabrication - Beam