Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GTAW Testing Procedure
- - By Seabass (*) Date 12-03-2007 20:10
I want to implement certification testing for my students in the GTAW process - V groove on 3/8" thick A36 carbon steel plate. Very similar to the testing requirements in the D1.1.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a prequalified welding procedure from an outside company or organization rather than sending out reduced-section tension specimens to qualify a new GTAW WPS? No D1.1 prequalified WPS for GTAW.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-03-2007 20:31
SeaBass

Here are some thoughts.

3/8 thickness for GTAW is overkill anyhow unless its pipe and then D1.1 would not be the best choice again.

I think (I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that D1.3 has prequalified procedures and is targeted for steel thicknesses more suited for GTAW.

Also AWS sells SWPS which could be reasonably used.

If you are a tech school than I would encourage you to consider becomming involved in the AWS SENSE
program http://www.aws.org/w/a/education/sense/
The AWS SENSE Program has good a GTAW Curriculum guide and member schools are supplied with SWPS for Carbon, Stainless and Aluminum GTAW as well as SWPS for SMAW, FCAW, GMAW (short circuit and spray) steel and aluminum.  That alone is worth the price of membership.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2007 20:59
At what cost to the school Lawrence?

AWS is not noted for being a charitable organization.

I believe a prequalified WPS can be written for stainless steel under the auspices of D1.6. A welder qualification under D1.6 also qualifies for any of the base metals listed in D1.1.

I don't have all my references with me (I supposed to be vacationing), but I just finished a WPS involving stainless steel and I believe the welder is qualified for all of the listed base metals for D1.6 and D1.1.  This caught me a little off guard because it is too much like ASME Section IX.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2007 03:10
Hey Al,

That D1.6 cross over is news to me... It sounds like something to look into.

As for a SENSE and cost...   It's a bargain (the only one I know from AWS) 

Becomming a member School and getting the whole package can be done for less than a grand.... Which is about the price of 3 SWPS.

The SENSE EG2.0 and QC10 doccuments are the best curriculum building tools for welding training available..

This will all change when AWS begins to do Accreditation audits for all participating schools... But that is sometime down the road... and until then the cost is really not a limiting factor.

In fact I'm pretty sure it's cheaper for an entire institution to join and pay it's annual SENSE participaiton dues than to keep a current copy of D1.1 on the teachers desk.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2007 03:36
That's good information to  know.

As for the cross over, look at welder performance qualification under Base Metals.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Seabass (*) Date 12-03-2007 22:22
Lawrence,

Becoming a SENSE member is our next step.

In my opinion I don't think it would be practical to use GTAW to weld 3/8" carbon steel material. I am trying to get a copy of the ASME Section IX.

I would like to see my students certified in several different welding processes under various AWS welding codes. Just the most practical WPS,to become more employable.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-04-2007 01:07
Seabass have you given any though to D17.1 for your testing. Just a though.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2007 03:02
Milt

D17 requres all WPS's to be qualified by testing, so it's pretty much the same problem.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GTAW Testing Procedure