Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What Rod types requires an OVEN?
- - By awspartb (***) Date 12-03-2007 21:44
I know low hydrogen (E7018, E9018, etc) require storage in a rod oven once the can is opened.  What other types require heated storage?
I had a disagreement with a coworker today.   I removed the 5P rod from the oven as I know this is a no-no.  They just toss everything into the oven to keep it dry. Does jet rod (E7024) needs to be stored in an oven?  Can someone post a link showing what types of rod require heated storage once removed from the can?    Thanks
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 12-03-2007 23:16
awspartb - look in you training material from your CWI test.  I can't recall the exact book or section, but the topic is discussed, and the last number in the electorde number tells you if it is low hydrogen or not.  If I had to say off the top of my head, I think the ending number of XXX4, XXX5, and XXX8 are the low hydrogen type.  Again, that was a guess from memory so I'm not giving you the answer, which is what I'm not wanting to do anyway.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2007 03:18
These guys have sold a few stick electrodes
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c210.pdf

See pages 46-47
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2007 03:43
My recollection is that any limestone based flux system has to be stored in the hot box at 250 degrees F or above. That would include EXX15, EXX16, and EXX18 as well and EXXX18. Then reading D1.6 for stainless electrodes; any coated electrode is supposed to be stored in the hot box. That is different that what I had been taught because those stainless electrodes with titania based fluxes didn't need to be stored in the hot box. The point is, you can learn something new everyday if you keep an open mind.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What Rod types requires an OVEN?