Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some Questions
- - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 12-05-2007 12:05
For those of you that own your own business and or your own shop......
A few questions.....

What do you do to bring worthwhile steady work into your own shops.?

What kind of work do you and don't you bid on.?

How does your word of mouth reputation ( by proven example) in your industry's mainstream help.?

What are the repetitive steps you take in building a customer base.?

What kind of customers and or jobs enable you to keep your shop open and enable you to pay into an extended lease
(if you don't own the building) while making a fairly decent profit.?

What attributes of a Good Fabrication Shop would move you to hire them to contract work for you.?

Thanks Again.

Brian  
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-06-2007 01:30 Edited 12-06-2007 05:31
check this topic out, it should answer some of your questions :)
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=13839
Parent - - By norsky63 (**) Date 12-06-2007 03:42
1. always take alot of pride in your work
2. never take short cuts on anything you do
3. be positive when dealing with customers
4. believe in yourself
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-06-2007 10:24
I concur a lot with the above.

I don't run a business anymore but two persons I use to work for (who were very successful)  had a few simple philosophies which I took to heart because they were simply just truth.

1. You can sell high quality work for almost whatever price you want to ask....but you can't give away sh8t no matter how hard you try.

2. Build it like you never want to see it again.

3. Never under-value your work.  If its good and you know it NEVER be scared to ask for what its worth.  Being firm brings respect...being unsure makes others unsure of you.

4. Stand by your work and mean it.  Fixing a mistake without hesitation will be retold to 50 more new potential customers before that story gets old.

5.  Your reputation is your business.

6.  Never take a job on when you know its over your head or beyond you when you start.  If you are over your head ...get help and see it through to the end.  We all take our lumps sometimes but we don't EVER have to break our word.

I know that did not answer a lot of your questions directly but nonwithstanding.....if you keep your head screwed on straight and you keep your commitments your will succeed.   I remember a welder I respect greatly offering me his entire shop, contacts and business for 10% of the net till it was paid for......I looked at him and let him know I was not ready to be at the shop till 4 a.m. on a Saturday morning spraying primer on a set of handrails for the State (like I had seen him do many times) and taking home less then I was making.  He owns a shop now that takes in probably 30% of all the serious fab work in the lower half of the state.   If you want it and your honest....all you have to do is work work work and pretty soon you will have more work then you can deal with then you can pick and choose your jobs.

I wish you good luck
Best Regards
Tommy
Parent - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 12-06-2007 12:35
Thanks Fellas,

Great Feedback...  I will add all of your comments in with my notes...   And yes, at times I do repeat myself... Perhaps a little impatience on my part.  I will try to post more often, but if it's later rather than sooner, have some patience will ya...!

Thanks Again,

Brian
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some Questions