Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A numbers
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-04-2007 14:08
I am trying to qualify a procedure in accordance to ASME section IX standards. I understand that a lot of the info that will be on the WPS is derived from the PQR but I'm am unclear about some things.                                                                                                       
1.) On the PQR test piece, how do you arrive at the amperage settings?
2.) What do you use for amperage range for the WPS? Unless I am misunderstood, an I & E change according to 409.5(GTAW) is a non essential variable. Surely a significant change in amperage would effect the integrity of the weld?
3.) In QW-401 it states " each variable is applicable when referenced in QW-250 for each specific process." Does this mean the variable does not apply to a chosen process unless it is listed in the brief of variables?
4.) When filling out the WPS how is one to determine the "A" number for the fiiler metal.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 12-04-2007 17:15
1) I usually start with the filler metal manufacturer's recommendations combined with input from my welders.
2) True and very true but, some codes are more restrictive than others. I&E are nonessential variables for GTAW by QW-256. As I come from a D1.1 background, I tend to fall back to +/-10% for Amps and +/-7% for volts when in doubt.
3) Yep, see above. I would still expect to see nonessential variables addressed on a good WPS even if it's not strictly require by the code. There's nothing stopping you from having a more restrictive set of rules beyond that covered by the standard.
4) Check out QW-422.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-04-2007 21:03
I can see where QW 422 addresses S and P #'s of base metal, but I am concerned with filler metal "A" #'s. QW 442. has a chart but what if you do not know the make up of the material. What I am actually trying to figure out is what "A" # would a weld done on A 108 with ER 70S be classified as.  As far as amperage ranges the reason I bring it up is a wrote a procedure and had it kicked back by a sourcing engineer and was told the reason was because the amperage range was outside the limits of the PQR. Again, since we were GTAW welding QW-409.8 states that as non essential. Still a little confused
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 12-04-2007 23:27
QW-404.5 starting on page 63 lists a numbered of methods to determine your A number. The data sheet from the the filler metal manufacturer may have the information you need.

As for your sourcing engineer, that is incorrect by the code (or at least the 2004 edition - I haven't purchased 2007 yet). I would say something along the lines of, "Amps and volts are a nonessential variable for this process under QW-256 on page 31 of 2004 ASME Section IX. Section QW-251.3 on page 19 defines nonessential variables and explains that a change in these variables may be made without WPS requalification." ...or something like that. I've found that a majority of inspectors don't know the code that well and, while rarely admitting they were wrong, will "okay" it if you're correct and very specific in your reply.

...Assuming that the the inspector is judging it exclusively to this version of this code.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-05-2007 13:48
Thanks RickC. That will get me started
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 16:07
"Surely a significant change in amperage would effect the integrity of the weld?"

Yes, you would normally think that wouldn't you?
But the reality is hilarious.
ASME has no requirement limits for amp/volt ranges.
AWS in 4.5 says 10%/7% (except for SMAW where it says manufacturer recommendations-and try and aquire those some time).
But here's the kicker, at least for me. Take a look at AWS
D1.1 Table 3.7.
So it seems that AWS really agrees with ASME they just make you write another piece of paper.
Now someone needs to explain to me how another piece of paper is a better method of ensuring weldment viability.
Everybody seems to think that AWS has made some sort of viability statement with their 10/7 requirement but that really isn't the case.
But in AWS's defense the problem for me is not AWS's sincere effort to establish a minimum standard, but that minimum standard being misinterpreted as some sort of metallurgical statement.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2007 17:01
Hello js55, it is interesting that there isn't a more definitive interpretation or requirement for voltage/amperage parameters on the various types/diameters of electrodes. In particular I have experienced some definite issues with under voltage/amperage of a given FCAW/gas shielded wire diameter and also over voltage/amperage of various FCAW/gas shielded wires. In particular, I observed a 1" unlimited plate test where the candidate welded a very aestetically correct plate, but upon preparation and bending or this plate it fractured completely through the weld section. No inclusions or obvious lack of fusion was noted. He did however, run an .045 diameter E71T-1 wire with 75/25 shielding gas at around 20.5 volts, the voltage should have probably been more in the neighborhood of 24.5 to 27 volts. My deduction for this failure was that the fluxes in the wire didn't receive proper heating to correctly do the job they were designed to do. On a similar note but at the other end of the spectrum, when you run a given diameter of FCAW/gas shielded wire above the "normal" or recommended voltage range it is possible that you may start to see some "worming" or possibly even some porosity or pores. SMAW can exhibit many issues from over-heating it by running above the "designed" amperage ranges, almost all rods will start to have serious flux loss issues when they are run above the limits of their amperage range, notice how E6010 will lose it's arc stability and develop "warts" and obviously spatter excessively when it's run "too" hot. E7018 and other rods of that family can exhibit puddle explosions where you have to back-up to fill the voids and will also have the flux flake off ahead of the point where the arc is burning off the end of the rod and do some pretty serious spattering as a result of over-heating. I would wonder why this wouldn't be addressed in a better manner if that isn't currently the case. Interesting commentary and topic, will be interested to hear more and alternative views. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 17:27
Allen,
But don't you sorta make the argument. I mean, your PQR test coupon failed. So you never even got to the point of establishing a WPS volt/amp range.
I think (and I emphasize, just my opinion) that the thought seems to be that once you have a 'successful' PQR then what criteria would you use to establish volt/amp ranges.
AWS and ASME seem to take a pretty liberal approach, though AWS appears to be more restrictive (and I suppose are to a slight degree-I mean, no minimum current 'AT ALL' on SAW, for example, and a max of 600 amps for single wire-thats quite a range).
Perhaps it has to do with a hesitancy to impose restrictions on total engineering irresponsibility, or in other words making the code idiot proof, in which case D1.1 and Seciton IX would be the size of the Encycolpedia Britannica.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2007 18:12
Hello Gerald, I certainly see your point. As you stated in the case that I described, the coupon failed. I guess the question is really aimed at where the point of failure starts, is OK, and then, fails again, hence, the allowable range. The question might ultimately be: what is the true mid-range value? and then what percentage of variation +/- is allowed and are there percentage differences with process, electrode type and composition. Who is responsible for setting these parameters? and should there be governance by AWS, ASME, API, or other governing bodies. Is this possibly the base of the discussion here? I kind of jumped in here and hope I haven't sidetracked the original intent of the post. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 18:33
Allen,
I think Rick answered the original questions to help the orginal post. But I also think that the questions play into a bigger issue.
And I believe that is where your posts fit.
I think the problem is, they can't find that percentage. Somewhere between what a terrific welder can do and what a lousy welder can do? But we're talking about procedure quals. do we want welder skill sneaking into paramter criteria for procedure quals?
Of course, maybe I'm missing something here.

So the philosophy of choice appears to be one of relying upon 'Engineering Judgement'.
The Forward to ASME Section IX would be, in my opinion, an excellent read as pertains to this discussion. Especially the second and third paragraphs, column 1 page vii.
I do not find parallel language in D1.1 but I'm guessin its there somewhere. It certainly seems to implicit everywhere. Somebody better versed in D1.1 may help us out here.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2007 18:58
Hello again Gerald, one of the reasons that I brought up the story about the 1" unlimited example had to do with the fact that I watched the visual part of this through and through, there were no visual indications at any point, once the coupons were cut they were also clean and didn't show any visual issues. I would venture to say, that had I etched them, I wouldn't have found any problems either, similarly I don't believe UT or radiograph would have noted anything, maybe a charpy test might have picked up some issues. So at some point there should be some limitations to keep from having issues like this actually happening once a welder gets out in the field and is left up to their own discression to make welds. Likely an impossibility in all reality, but some form of an attempt should be considered. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 19:43
Allen,
If I may, WPS limitations won't keep welders from cheatin when nobody is lookin.
But then, we're not really talkin about welders cheatin, we're talking about parameter ranges at the welding engineering stage. Before the welder ever even sees the thing.
The whole system relies upon a welding engineer doing his due diligence on applications (this is critical since as I said, I don't believe a code can idiot proof fabrication), writing a proper WPS based upon a successful PQR and "sound engineering judgment" (or prequal), and proper oversight by a QC Department.
If any one of these elements are missing you can write a code as big as the Library of Congress and it won't matter (and I'd venture to guess that there are just as many WPS violations under AWS 10/7 regimes as there are in ASME regimes-perhaps even more).
And one other point, which gets to the jist of it in a different way. Where are the failures to substantiate that AWS and ASME have it wrong?
The forward to the D1.1 Commentary states that they believe that in many instances (and I paraphrase) they understand that they are overly conservative, but that the requirements represent sound engineering practice. Close to ASME IX's Forward language.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2007 20:08
Gerald, I know from my days as a welder in various capacities that I certainly was guilty of "fudgin" the parameters on weld procedures. As I would look around me I would see other welders with various settings that they would swear by and if I tried to work with their "gospel settings" I would go insane, didn't necessarily mean they were wrong and I was right, definitely meant we had different understandings of correctness. One of the most difficult test that I ever endured was a Mil spec. test and in that case the "testers" showed up on site and set your machine for you, you sat down and proceeded to lay-it in there and then they X-rayed it and gave their verdict. I did pass, but the characteristics of the arc and such were not completely what I would have generally been comfortable with. I guess the big picture still revolves around rates of catastrophic failure and an interpretation of how critical and at what point is there an issue that will impact things drastically enough to do something about it. Enjoying the conversation here.
      A part of this topic could possibly be to raise awareness of the importances of fully understanding proper procedure and application of welding and making as many welders aware of these issues as one possibly can. Ultimately, in many instances, it is up to the individual welder to make the correct choice, hopefully that individual will have the knowledge or information at hand to make the correct choice as it could be the hinge-point for some very large safety issues. As a welding instructor I do believe it is part of my job to spell out some of these issues. As engineers, inspectors, shop personnel, and others involved in this process, it becomes the responsibility of all to do their parts too. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-05-2007 20:04
Thanks guys.I appreciate all the input. I just pulled a spec sheet off the internet for a well known electrode manufacturer and they give a range for FCAW .045 E71T-1 as 22-31V and 175-525WFS. Talk about a wide range. Wow! I was not sure if the ASME code had actually stated a range based on what the PQR was and I had written the WPS incorrectly but after seeing the procedure variable of QW 409.8 it makes me wonder if in fact I was right and the engineer was incorrect. But in either case I still am not sure what to write on my procedure. I really dont feel comfortable with a range as wide as those I mentioned for wire speed on the FCAW portion of this procedure.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-05-2007 20:13
Hello jsdwelder, it would be scary to see a weld bead that has been run at 22V and 525 WFS. Sorry, I couldn't resist putting that up here. Also sorry if I have taken your post too far off track, but if you have been following Gerald and I you can see, as you have stated above, that some of these parameters seem a bit far fetched. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-05-2007 20:37
jsd,
Those are certainly broad parameters, and make no mistake, regardless of my argument I would certainly advocate limiting the parameters to less than those 'recommended', er, 'quoted', er, 'listed'. But not due to weld viability as such, but due to the fact that some welders would most likely not be able to handle those parameters.
You write WPS's for your worst guys, not your best.
I've welded .045 FCAW at those parameters without detriment (having done some testing).
We would go that cold on 2" sch 40 5G pipe (If memory serves ~21.5 was about as cold as I could get it and still feel comfortable-you had to or you'd blow a hole in it the size of your thumb-or at least I would-felt like stick rod to me) and that hot on the big stuff, not wanting to change our wire to 1/16"(unless we had a bunch'o big'ens), because we were lazy, and always racing for productivity (friendly competition).

I would say that its difficult to go wrong with the 10/7 regime from AWS, as recommended earlier(the reason why they put it there), but my belief is that it is more restricitive than necesary (but perhaps they're writing the code for the worst guys too-oops, I didn't imply idiot proof did I?).
But always always depending upon the alloy. The basic assumption for me here was C steel.

As a recommendation, and not meaning this condescendingly, given your question I wouldn't push the envelope like that, though I think the 10/7 is unnecessary as I've stated. If you want a hard number have your good welders run some beads, get their input and decide from there. Do some testing even, though management hates that stuff. If you're doing enough volume it can be justified.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2007 00:58
How many times has this subject been tossed around?

One common question I see on a regular basis is, "Where do I find the values for voltage, amperage, wire feed speed, etc. to enter in the PQR?"

I see the same question for writing WPSs.

There are engineers and inspectors that are new to welding and are assigned the task of documenting the company's welding operations. It is unfortunate that many are totally unprepared for the task.

ASME seems to take the "hide your head in the sand" approach by covering their butt with their position that only qualified "welding engineers" write welding documents. Life would be grand if this was always the case, but most forum readers will agree this in not reality.

AWS and some military welding standards seems to take the conservative position that if the procedure passes all the required tests the acceptable ranges are X percentage above and below the values used to weld the test coupon. This may be a little too conservative for some folks, but at least it provides a rational approach to developing a production WPS. There is nothing that prohibits testing multiple coupons using different ranges to broaden the parameters listed in the production WPS. The goal is to develop a WPS that has predictable results.

As a starting point I usually use the magic of the Internet to contact the electrode manufacturer to ask for their recommendations for the welding parameters and to my glee, most have the information listed for all to see.

Once I qualify the initial WPS, I write a WPS just for qualifying welders. The ranges of the welding parameters are rather wide, thus allowing the welder plenty of latitude in how they set their machines. Fortunately, I have more than thirty years of welding experience to draw upon in making the final determination of what is a reasonable range for the welding parameters to be used in production. Between the allowable ranges permitted by the welding standard or the lack of direction by other codes, I write a WPS for production. The one goal of the WPS is to provide sufficient information to the welder to ensure the level of quality required is met. When justified by market demands, the WPS should also promote consistency between welders where the welds will be subject to the scrutiny of the consumer. It may be acceptable from a metallurgical standpoint to weld with weaves or stringers, but when the welds are viewed side by side by the consumer, it is best that the welder use similar techniques so they look similar. The handy dandy Excel spreadsheet with the statistical analysis tools is great way to establish a reasonable range when there are sufficient data points to analyze.

The last point that I feel is worth repeating is that the WPS should be written with the welder in mind. The information that has to be included is stipulated by the appropriate welding standard. Additional information that can be used by the welder should also be included. I use a system of annex to provide the added information needed by the welder such as a listing of material specifications included in a P number grouping (only those that will be used in production). Another annex lists the standard joint details with tolerances for groove angles, root openings, alignment, etc. A third annex is used for acceptance criteria appropriate for the work being performed.

I guess that the end of the rant for this evening.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-06-2007 14:58
Al,
First of all I don't believe there is what I would call a 'once and for all thread'.
These debates keep popping up because they are important and unresolved issues(at least for those that are asking the question), and new people confronted with these issues keep coming into the forum. And even though there is definate redundancy some have not as yet discovered the Search function, AND, each time the subject comes up something a little different is added to it.

Also, I have no argument with the general jist of your ideas of PQR development and WPS's, at least as far as I perused them. But the issue is not good practice, the issue is whether or not it should be a code requirement. What you have when arguing for it to be a requirement is simply that, an argument, logic (good logic to be sure, but logic nonetheless). But I don't believe that logic alone can justify the generation of a code requirement. ASME far from hiding their heads in the sand (even though this may be the case sometimes-but having witnessed code activities and the debates of the ladies and gentlemen involved I believe its rare and very counter to their participation-lets not forget that ASME is a collection of individuals volunteering their time because they do care-though I'm sure there are exceptions-the problem being primarily, in my opinion, one of collectivity) perhaps overreact when faced with failures(and when I say overreact I do not mean that injury or death is unimportant-not at all-I mean that requirements have been imposed in the face of failures even when they are not exactly sure what caused the failure (usually it comes down to educated guesses)-just to err on the conservative side). So I ask, where are the failures that would justify this particular code requirement. The Section IX guys, many of which you know personally, do not seem to think they exist. If someone has evidence of such present it to ASME.
BPV and PP are minimum safety codes (see ASME Section IX para. 2 line 1-not necessarily speaking to you now Al) and even though something sounds like a good idea, and perhaps even IS a good idea does not mean it should be a code requirement.
As you may have surmised I am a minimalist when it comes to the code. I do not want to have to deal with a 20 volume set of Section IX's based upon good practice requirements (the growth is already enough with the changing industry and interpretations), becasue there is possibly 1000's of instances where good practice logic could be imposed in the code.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-06-2007 15:04
One other point. The bigger the code, the more it will be misunderstood. Good for consultants (many of which sit on code bodies and vote minimalist in a sense counter to their own income), not so good for the industry.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-07-2007 20:56
Sorry if I touched upon a raw nerve. Ouch!

There are basic philosophical differences between the codes developed by ASME and those developed by AWS. I want to laugh every time I hear someone say, "There's no useful information in the ASME Code!", "I can't design anything using Section XX.", "Where does it tell you what filler metal to use with base metal YY?" I'm not kidding, those are the types of comments I hear in the course I teach. Now I can tell them it is because of ASME's minimalist approach to writing codes. I used to reply that ASME codes "don't tell you how to build anything", but now I can tell them its ASME's minimalist's philosophy. :)

Now that I understand ASME uses the minimalist philosophy, it goes a long way in explaining why I see pressure vessel drawings with the notation: "Weld Here". ;)

You know I'm having a good time with this and I hope you aren't offended by my sense of humor. When you make the comment that you wouldn't want to see the ASME B&PV code expand to twenty volumes, I can only laugh at the thought of you and I trying to drag all that paper through the security lines at the airport! It's bad enough there's about 15 volumes now! :(

I know all too well how much time, effort, and money we committee members contribute to developing codes and standards for AWS and ASME. Never do I want to minimize what the committee volunteers do on behalf of the different societies like ASME, ASNT, or AWS. However, I do see some humor in what we do and how exasperating it can be to put all the time and effort into those endeavors only to have someone sucks the wind out of our sails with a comment like, "There's no useful information in that code!" Then again, maybe there is some truth to what they are trying to say.  

I always enjoy stirring the puddle just to muddy the water. That's when the good discussions begin!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-07-2007 21:15
No raw nerve on my part. Stir it as much as you like Al. I can't imagine a scenario wherein I would be offended by your opinion and wit.
Motivated to respond enthusiastically? Of course.
Offended? Next time your in Houston and I offer to buy you a McRottweiler at McDonalds for dinner you might assume you've offended me. Other than that,,,,,,,,,,,
I enjoy spirited debate and discussion. How boring it would be if we all agreed.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-07-2007 21:16
Sometimes what comes outa collectivity is mud.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-08-2007 04:23
I'll look forward to that the next time I'm in Houston!

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / A numbers