Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Business Advice From Seasoned Professionals
- - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 12-02-2007 16:18
I would like to thank the many of you contributors to this forum. For your time, your diligence and for the various detailed topics I have been able to glean from. Sorry I have not been a regular contributor. As I attempt to elaborate, I trust you will see why. I am by no means a novice.. Although I have never been in the military, I at times consider myself an Industrial Soldier... I am fighting to be busy with good things...To contribute to worthwhile projects, to stay sharp in my trade, and grow my business. Gentlemen in 2 years ( as some of you already know) there will be a major-traumatic crisis in our field of work..  For Weldors-Fitters-Fabricators-Millwrights and the Likes...  A Profound Shortage of Skilled-Seasoned Tradesman, when the American Baby-Boomers Retire. I am not looking for a pros and cons discussion of the situation I have just mentioned, although it might come up.. A Bit of my backround...
I am a New Jersey resident. A Weldor-Fitter by trade...(Pipe-Plate-Structural) I work in the R.& D. Facility Section of a Major Power Industrial and Engineering Co., Where I could be working on anything from Heavy-Wall or Thin Wall S.S. Pressure Vessels (Built to ASME Code) To Structural Platforms, Miscelaneous Stands and Skids. I am the only weldor in this whole complex. And although there have been great opportunities for me, there are also big voids of time that pass, due to a bit of mismanagement here as well as being part of the R.& D Mainstream. Sometimes it just drives me crazy.... In addition to this, I have my own business as a steel fabricator.I Firmly Believe I was Fervently Motivated and Catapaulted into starting my business as a result of the Sept. 11TH Attacks on American Soil. I have never been much on volunteering, but I know that it does work for others. Although I am always learning, I can handle the basic triangle of metals; (Carbon- Stainless Steel -Aluminum)  Occasionally Some Nickel Alloys. (All-Positions) I am not a designer, but over the years I have been able to improvise and effectively revise certain work especially when some so called engineer is dead wrong... I have just started the 4TH
Year of my own busines while I continue on my regular job... (Although I began in this line of work in 1981, remaining fairly consistant over the years with the exception of a few layoffs.) The first two years were a loss. At the middle of the 3rd Year I won and completed my first government contract with a major infrastructure entity. My situation right now is I am trying to win my second contract, but it just isn't happening... The only other work I have received from non-government industrial or commercial businesses are small deadend jobs.
What I am striving for, would be all job-shop work in my own place, with regular paying customers..  I admire many of you seasoned field winners who are out doing your portable thing. One attribute of positional work that I have not yet attained is being able to switch hands on a 6-G Open- Butt Tig Joint...

Good Health, Merry Christmas and a Profitable New Year to you all as you persue your own endeavors.

Brian

Parent - - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 12-03-2007 16:24
Is this post placed in the wrong section...?
I thought I would have received some feedback from you fellas.....
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-03-2007 17:52
Not to be a smart aleck but.

1. You wrote a brief work history.

B. Made statements about Military and Worker Shortages but said you weren't looking for discussion.

3. Talked more about what you do.

D.  Wished us a merry Christmas.

5.  Asked no questions

So I guess the only feedback I have is......... Merry Christmas!

And keep working on that left hand in the New Year....  Most of the time those kind of things work themselves out when you finally get stuck in a position that only a left hand will fit.... You walk home that day suddenly able to do that left handed weld.  A good feeling!
Parent - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 12-03-2007 19:42
Sorry...

What do you folks do to bring in worthwhile steady work into your own shops....?
What kind of work do you and don't you bid on..?
How does your word of mouth reputation (by proven example) in your industry's mainstream help..?
What are the repetitive steps you take in building a customer base...?
What kind of Customers and or jobs enable you to keep your shop open and enable you to pay into an extended lease(if you don't own)
while making a fairly decent profit.?
What attributes of a good fabrication shop  would move you to contract work to them...?

Thanks...
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-03-2007 19:45
good explanation lawrence
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 12-05-2007 21:23
I can answer a few of your questions...  I work for a high end residential contractor as his super, he's also my father-in-law.
Since Montana started observing international building codes all of our structures have lots of steel in them and we've done buisness with a few fab shops. The shop that I really liked was the one that was small enough to give  me direct access to the  boss/owner. Ten minuets with him and I knew if it was going to  work or not and if he  knew  what he was doing.  I  used that shop untill he got discovered and became so  busy that  he was booked 6mo. out. That's when we started doing it ourselves. So that's one attribute to a good shop, easy access to the main man. Another I look for is good equipment. Not new, just good. Also, can you carry on an intelligent conversation with most of his help. I talk to the steel supplier and mention his name just to see their expression, that's all I'll need to know. Last, are his rates in the middle of the road? We're not doing this for our health, right?

We will not do buisness with a client that gives a bad vibe. That doesn't mean the client is bad, just not a good fit. If your out on your own than your finances better be good enough to be a little pickey. Believe me, the headaches are many and not worth it.

If you plan on staying in one spot, word of mouth is everything. Heck, even with all these pipeliners here that travel all over the country, it only takes a few hrs. of reading to see that they keep track of their own. How your peers and community view you is obviously critical. PAY YOUR BILLS!

The clients that keep us busy are the ones with money, it's that simple. So go where the money is and work to fill that niche.

Merry Christmas too!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-06-2007 10:30
Well Heck  Merry Christmas and all other holidays to all of your here.

Left handed tig welds?   Just force yourself to do it when you don't have to.   It will become easy before you know it.  I did all my last 6g certs right and left handed just because I am a smart aleck and I wanted to see if I could do it.
Parent - By trlblzr302 (**) Date 12-06-2007 12:44
A Many Thanks To Your Timely and Detailed Responses.

I appreciate your clarity, your efforts and your class...

Good Health and Prosperity..

Brian
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Business Advice From Seasoned Professionals