Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS WITH IMPACT TEST AS PER ASME SECTION IX
- - By mujibali_m_a (*) Date 12-06-2007 07:19
I WANT TO QUALIFY A WPS FOR 6MM TO 32MM WITH IMPACT TEST. BUT I HAVE TWO PQRS ALREADY QUALUFIED. ONE IS WITH TEST COUPON THICKNESS 7MM WITH IMPACT TESTED & OTHER MECHANICAL TESTS DONE AS REQUIRED BY ASME SECTION IX (THIS COVERS THE RANGE FROM 3.5MM TO 14MM) SECOND PQR QUALIFIED IN TEST COUPON THICKNESS OF 19MM (WITHOUT IMPACT TESTED BUT OTHER MECHANICAL TESTS DONE AS REQUIRED BY ASME SECTION IX) (THIS COVERS THE RANGE FROM 5MM TO 38MM) BOTH ARE QUALIFIED WITH PREHEATING (100 DEG C). BOTH THIS PQRS WILL SUPPORT MY WPS REQUIRED FOR 6MM TO 32MM WITH IMPACT TESTED WITHOUT PWHT. AND IT WILL SUPPORT FOR THE WPS 6MM TO 38 MM(WITHOUT PWHT AS BOTH PQR1 & PQR2 ARE QUALIFIED WITH PREHEAT)?
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-06-2007 13:17
Please turn off you caps. It means you are yelling and it is really HARD TO READ!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-06-2007 15:51
kahunna,
I just figured he was in a state of panic.  :>)
Parent - - By David Lee (*) Date 12-16-2007 00:11
ASME requires two qualifications at this point, one with PWHT, one witout. since this will be two different procedures intirely.
Parent - - By john baxter (*) Date 12-30-2007 07:42
You will need a minimum of three PQR's for ASME IX. One qualified at 6mm thick and the others qualified at ca.12mm thick and at ca. 16mm thick bearing in mind the supplementary essential requirement for welding positions.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-31-2007 15:18
It appears as though you have an understanding of the the 2T limitation of tensile and bend regimes. Thats a start. And if your tensile and bend PQR's cover your thicknesses you have no need to do more tensiles and bends, provided you stay within the established essential variable limits.
Keep in mind that under ASME IX impact testing limits minimum thicknesses only, not maximums. QW 403.6.
The problem for you will be the codes of construction, such ASME B31.3, which limits thicknesses in impact regimes more severely. Table 323.3.1.
Parent - - By mujibali_m_a (*) Date 01-05-2008 06:33
MR JOHN,
IN YOUR POST WHAT IT MEANS ca.12mm thk & ca.16mm thk?

You will need a minimum of three PQR's for ASME IX. One qualified at 6mm thick and the others qualified at ca.12mm thick and at ca. 16mm thick bearing in mind the supplementary essential requirement for welding positions.
Parent - By john baxter (*) Date 01-05-2008 16:12
Procedure at 6mm thick will qualify up to 12mm, procedure at approximately (ca) 12mm will qualify welding 12 to 19mm (no PWHT) and procedure at 16mm (with PWHT) will qualify welding up to 32mm.
- By MuhammadMA Date 06-07-2016 08:05
Dear Gents,

We have different thicknesses, I have to confirm for the Impact Test (-20 degree Celsius) requirements According to API 1104 Minimum thickness qualified with the PQR is Restricted for the sour service or it is as mentioned in API 1104 (A3.2 Essential Variables) we can go +/- 0.125 inch (3.17 mm) for the Procedure Qualification according to our job / project thickness requirements.

My question is if we qualify a procedure with a thickness 10 mm with a mechanized (GMAW)  & Manual (GMAW/FCAW) Processes two different PQR & WPS, then can we go up or down in thickness to weld of thickness +13.20 mm up and -6.83 mm Down possible. can we weld these thicknesses.?? our PQR will cover these thicknesses or not.? Restriction is minimum thickness qualified in PQR can we go down from that or not.?

Restrictions of OD +.5D & -0.25D as well mentioned.

Thanks for your consideration,

Regards,
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WPS WITH IMPACT TEST AS PER ASME SECTION IX