Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plumbing shop gas lines
- - By Bill M (***) Date 12-06-2007 15:21
(This is in regards to gas cutting and preheating torches)

We currently use bottled gas now at various work stations (Oxy-acetylene) in the shop.  Some preheating is done with large propane bottles and weedburner torches.  I am investingating the pros and cons of hard plumbing natural fuel gas vs. the acetylene bottles in the shop.  Any comments on cost savings, safety concerns, cutting or preheating performance, etc would be appreciated.  Regarding cutting torches:  I would assume at a minimum some tip changing is required to switch, but can the same torch body be used for both natural gas and acetylene or would we have to buy completely new cutting torches to convert?  thnx!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-06-2007 16:08
Hello Bill M, I believe from the preheating standpoint, the folks on the floor would notice an improvement of the preheating capabilities of having hard-plumbed natural gas when using the correct style of preheating tip(would use the natural gas/oxygen heating tips designed for this purpose and not a weed burner, these are usually natural gas/air combination). You should be able to use your current torch combinations with a change to the oxy/natural gas type tips, this would include using the same cutting attachments and bodies for cutting. The rub here is when individuals are used to using oxy/acetylene for cutting there is a learning and patience curve. The two different gas/oxygen combinations behave a considerable amount differently. Oxy/acetlene tends to preheat fairly quickly and maintain the cut fairly easily and the natural gas/oxygen combination tends to take longer to start the cut and possibly loses the cut more easily if the cutting speeds aren't paid close attention to. My $.02. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-06-2007 16:35
I can't speak for cutting with natural gas but I can for preheating. First of all you will need to spreadsheet it based upon your plant and personnel and the number of assemblies you fabricate that requires preheating, but in most circumstances you will realize considerable savings with natural gas preheating. Just not at first because you obviously have to factor in the cost of running your headers, both time and materials. In many instances the gas company will allow discounts for volume users, making it even cheaper.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-07-2007 04:17
A point You need to look into is what pressure the natural gas will be delivered at. Normally it is much lower than what You are likely to need for torches. With regards to cutting torches, there are injector type torches that are supposed to work better with fuels other than acetylene. The weed burner type torches will need a larger jet opening for natural gas. With regards to safety, any other fuel gas is less shock sensitive and has narrower explosive limits than acetylene, so in that regard should be safer.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2007 04:51
Dave, you brought up a very good point in regard to pressure of natural gas. As you stated, it will likely not have sufficient pressure to supply the torches properly, however you can have the gas company change the pressure regulator setting to better serve this purpose. I know of a number of shops who use natural gas on their burn tables and in our machine shop they have a foundry that is natural gas fired and they had the pressures upped to supply this particular piece of equipment. So worth checking into. Regards, Allan
Parent - By rootpass Date 12-11-2007 23:35
I just switched from acy to Propylene on my rig and I love it.It heats faster is more forgiving when cutting rust or if I blow out the cut by moving too fast. It is cheaper, safer (like LP gas) and goes much further than acy. I can't say enough about it and all I had to do is buy new tips. I think it preheats great with a rosebud. Just my two cents and another option to look at. I'm sure your supplier would give you a test run.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Plumbing shop gas lines