Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / mig welding 5556
- - By EVWELDER (**) Date 12-06-2007 01:10
I have been aluminum welding for 10 years tig and mig 6061t-6 material with 4043 we are switching to 5556 filler the tig welding no problem but mig doesn't look no where close to what mig welding with 4043 I know there is going to be some difference but its not even close.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 12-06-2007 18:27
My company has been using 4043 wire, and we recently came across some problems that indicate our choice of filler might not be all that.  So this week I am playing with some 5356 wire.  The first thing I noticed is that "clean" for 4043 is a world away from "clean" for 5356.  The first time I fired up, I got more soot than a pine log in a fireplace.  The second thing I noticed is that the appearance of the weld is somewhat rougher.  I appear to be getting deeper penetration with the 5356 wire.  For the record; 100%AR@40cfm, 220ipm, 22v@165A in 1G/2F.  I have a lot more playing to do, and I think next I need to go to a He/Ar mix, maybe 5/95 or so. 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-06-2007 18:51
Hello bozaktwo1, I believe that you will not realize the same appearance when comparing the two fillers. There are inherent differences between the two that will preclude that from happening. On numerous occasions there have been threads and posts here on the forum speaking of some of the differences betweeen these two fillers. What makes one(4043) more tolerant of centerline cracking and cracking in general, is the same thing that doesn't make it applicable in some cases(less strength). The lack of certain alloying elements in this same alloy also doesn't make it suitable for certain chemical environments or physical exposures. So when you are looking at using the 5356 you will be giving up some of the ease of application and physical aesthetics that the 4043 posesses, yet you will gain the feeding ability of the wire as it is stiffer than the 4043. This stiffness might allow you to use a smaller diameter of wire in some cases and allow for tailoring the weld bead size to more suitably match material thickness. As you have also stated you will see an increase in the "soot" that is present upon completion of the weld. I believe Al stated very well where this comes from, if my memory serves me correctly it is from the additional magnesium that is present and is vaporized in the arc. So, this may not go away even with a change in shielding gas. Hope some of this makes sense. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2007 19:58
Alan is right...

And furthermore the hotter gas mix you suggest will only add to the volitization of the Magnesium in the 5356 and cause more smut.

Smut reduction (not elimination) will be achieved by careful surface prep and the minimum arc voltage to produce the transfer mode that is required...  The higher the voltage the larger the arc plasma cone and arc length thus, the more smoke/smut.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 12-06-2007 21:16
Yeah, thanks Allan and Lawrence...just got done with a good read over at weldreality.  I'm staying with 100% Ar, and I'll adjust my voltage, cut and polish samples until I'm happy with the penetration and profile, then start welding coupons.  3/64" wire all the way.
Parent - By EVWELDER (**) Date 12-06-2007 22:07
I beleive I will try a smaller wire right now we are using .035 the welds were also little larger with the 5556 wire compaired to the 4043.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / mig welding 5556