Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig with dc+
- - By rtnnhazel (*) Date 12-07-2007 01:57
i went to the library the other day and got a welding book. im still new. i was reading and the book said that dcep does put more heat on the tungsten but has a very good cleaning action on the work better than dcen. so what im wondering is if im running low amperage say 50 with 1/16 thoriated on 20 gauge on a 51 chevy pickup will this still put too much heat on the tungsten. would this cleaning action help on my very dirty 1951 steel? i can get the front clean but not the backside of the work. just a thought any help is appreciated
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 12-07-2007 04:15
Instead of tig, try silver solder it takes alot less heat to do the same job. Just a thought
Parent - - By rtnnhazel (*) Date 12-08-2007 00:04
will silver solder hold up in the long run and what about large holes?
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 12-08-2007 02:07
Well It's rated at 70,000 PSI so I think it'll hold up. A pro body guy told me this trick.
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-07-2007 07:51
mig is the only way to go on body panels. Give it a little zap then move to anouther area spreading out the heat as much as possible, trust me your gonna have to use some body filler no matter what. I worked in a bodyshop through highschool and this is how they do it. Try to avoid tig on body panels if at all possible as for cleaning the backside try sand blasting it might be a pain but if you want a pro job its not always the easiest
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig with dc+