Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Question about paying for CWI certification
- - By rford Date 12-02-2007 04:40
I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of any programs to help pay for the CWI certification.  I would like to take the seminar in April in Nashville, TN, but would also like to see if there is anything out there to help pay for it without having to get some type of loan. 

Thanks for your help,
Richie
Parent - - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-02-2007 11:54
the only ways i know possible is to get it out of your pocket or get with a company that is willing to take you for the ride.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 12-02-2007 21:45
If you are a member of the UA (United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters) there are programs available to cover the costs of the classes.  The testing fee is not covered.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-05-2007 19:11
To pay for the certification all you need is around 2 grand. This will cover the books you need to study, the testing fee and the a coach class RT ticket to where most places give the test. You will have to do the hard work yourself. That means studying. IF you do not have the self dicipline to study 45 minutes to an hour for 6-8 weeks, you can invest 1200 for the seminalr, have 6 days expences and the RT coach airfare. THen all you have ot do is study 45 minutes to an hour 2-3 weeks before you take the seminar and test. IF you are working for a company who will reimburse you for it, then you are sparkles. IF not, then it is called investing in yourself. A CWI certification with experience and marketed by a person who is not afraid to get NO said to is worth 50 to 75K a year. If you add other certifications to the CWI low to middle 6 figures is not out of the question. I have several national certificatons which I have paid for. My CWI was paid for by a former employer who really got rightous when I left. They thought it was THEIR certification. I mean they paid for it. No I did not attend the seminar, it was just the lousy $750 for the test and a Southwest RT ticket.

You figure out what works best for you. Scraping up 2-3 grand for a certification which could be paid back in less than a month seems a pretty good investment. Deliver some pizzas, work some OT, what ever you need to do. But if someone pays for YOUR educations, they believe they have a hold on you.

But then I could be wrong.
BABRT's  
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-08-2007 04:46
I spent a total of $1250 (not counting the 1/4 tank of gas to drive to the exam) for books, a 2 year membership in AWS and the cost of the exam, and studied for 3 months. A small investment that i should've done years ago. After my company found out i passed, they reimbursed everything(except the gas,cause i forgot the reciept) so i was out $10  after it was said and done, and i get a 4hr min to show up for 20 minutes if second shift needs me to inspect something. a very wise investment i made!
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 12-08-2007 16:09
If you are a Vet look at your state VA and Federal VA and see if they have something.
regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 12-11-2007 21:24
Ya, they have a VA program thru AWS heres the link.
http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/va
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Question about paying for CWI certification