Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Heads up everybody!!!
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 12-09-2007 18:28
Just wanted to give everyone a quick heads up about the rise in cable theft going on right now. I just had 100+ ft. stolen right off my spools. Had to have happened at night while I was sleeping. Right in my own driveway!!! The nerve of these little bastards is unreal! Anyway, I had to pay $3.00 a foot to replace it and no; my insurance didn't cover it.(Didn't meet the deductable.)

Anyway, just my $.02 worth. Try to secure or keep a very close eye on your cable. Copper scrap prices are up right now so these thieves are more active. Also, the local police told me that if they show up to a scrap yard with less than $100 worth it generates no questions and no paperwork. In short our cable makes the ideal target.

GH Weidman
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-09-2007 19:19
That sucks must b happening everywhere,they got me in broad daylight at my house.nobody was hme though.I would have rather them stopped and asked  for 100 then steel my leads.I would've gladly paid it
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-09-2007 21:40
ofcourse it happens all the time. Copper is way up. it costs1.2 cents to make a penny right now. feel lucky it wasn't your catilltic convertor, they have platnium in them, hundreds of them have been stolen around here.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-09-2007 21:49
21 welding trucks hit in one night in enid oklahoma. it took 600 bucks to replace mine.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-10-2007 00:26
beenhappening for a year up here in alberta got all my buddies last summer, I started pulling them off and puttingthem in the garage but now i got a little rape alarm like the kind a chick puts on her purse hook on the base and one end on the cable just remember to unhook from the cable before you start to unreel if they start unrreling your cable it'll go off and crack heads will go runnin for the hills
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-10-2007 04:40
wont be long and we'll be stealing from each other cause we cant afford to replace the stuuf that got took from us lol
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-10-2007 10:16
Yea i work for Att during the day.theve been climbing up in the trees stealing phone cables.Crack head got fried in south dallas the other day and the firemen had to climb the tree to get him out.that was his last climb LOL!!I quess sometimes you need to ask yourself,is this really worth it.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-10-2007 15:22
in our area we use to have several Al guardrails on bridges
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-10-2007 22:32
where do you buy the rape alarm? anything that will scare them off besides a bullet.,.,,,,bullets next!
Parent - By louieRD (**) Date 12-11-2007 02:08
a laser sight on a person and a warning shot makes the curious culpret think twice,   unfortunetly! thats what its come to . Always keep an eye on youre truck  (because ,GAURANTEED someone else is.)
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-12-2007 00:00
i dont know where you would buy one down there  maybe a purse and accessor ystore they were originally designed to go on a womans wrist and her purse so if a thief ripped it out of her hands the pin would seperate from the alarm activating it and they are LOUD and easily rigged to your cable i think they are 20 bucks
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 12-12-2007 22:35
I was having trouble with graffitti sprayers on my back retaining wall.  I installed one of those motion-sensor floodlights, but replaced the floodlight with an extension chord to an electrical sprinkler valve on a hose aiming a sprinkler in the general area of the wall.  Graffitti guy aproaches wall and gets hosed.  It actually was effective!  I guess you could activate somethin' else besides a sprinkler with this setup, use your imagination. 

Bob G.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-13-2007 17:13
add a non toxic die to the water
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-13-2007 02:53
I keep all my cable inside a jockey box at the back of the truck for that very reason. I am building the rolls so that they will fit inside and can be cranked up from the outside have not as yet master minded all the mechanics to make that happen but soon very soon. I was told latley that 02 cable was selling for $9.00 a foot if you could get it I did not need to get any myself but thats all it took to confince me that it needed to be locked up. A friend of mine had his on a locked roll and they just cut it up into 1ft chunks to get it off and away they went with some 600ft payday for the crack heads not so good for buddy.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Heads up everybody!!!