Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 316SS unstable spray arc
- - By chopperchuck Date 11-25-2007 14:14
I'm using a delta weld 302 with a 60 series feeder 27V amp? shield gas 98/2 argon co2 wire 316 L mode of transfer spray.
now i have been doing spray transfer sense the mid 80s and have ASME certs in spray for carbon ,cu/ni,and stainless.
but I'm stumped ,i cant seam to get this machine tuned in at the start of the weld the arc is OK but not great the tip of the wire is all most
square but its filling in good then toward the end of the weld (about 30" long) it as if the spray is being repulsed away from the part
kinda like spraying water on an oiled surfs.
any help would be great
thanks chuck
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-25-2007 19:04
Chuck,

Sounds like Arc Blow

Although arc blow is more typically at the end of the weld rather than the beginning.

Try having the work clamp close to the starting point and welding away from it.

If you are on a work table, Give your work lead three wraps around the table leg before you clamp it.

Let us know what happens.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 11-28-2007 20:09
Is the end of the fillet open or are you running it into a wall so to speak?  What is you gas flow rate and is there anything at the end of the joint that can interup the gas flow coming out of the nozzel causing turbulence?
Parent - - By chopperchuck Date 12-06-2007 22:57
thank for the response ,it was two things first arc blow ,putting the ground cable around the part helped,second was cheep wire
i ran out just before the last header was done grabbed a spool of crown alloy 316 and it run prefect.
now if thay got stainless for me to weld then get me good wire :)
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-10-2007 16:12
Watch out for Crown wire, sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's not.  The reason being is that they don't make their own wire, they are just a re-packager of wire surplus that they buy.  On stainless sometimes the Crown wire will be Sandvik, Avesta, (both are top notch) or any off shore junk, what ever they happen to have that day is what goes on their re-spooling machines. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 316SS unstable spray arc