Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Gun Dogs
- - By UCSB (**) Date 12-12-2007 14:14
Been a few --- well more-- years since I've been bird hunting.  Had some pheasant for Thanksgiving. Going out again soon.
Been looking for a good bird dog. Settled on a Brittany. I had a Brittany before.
What do you guys hunt over?
Roger
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-12-2007 17:32
In my case it's someone else's dog.  The family pet could probably do it if it was trained, but she's more interested in finding crickets and bumblebees.  (Not sure what gauge shotgun to use for those..)
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-12-2007 21:04
Can't help with bird dogs, but all hunting dogs are amazing in their own field.  I'm into running rabbits, cotton tail and snow shoes.  We usually hunt in 8-10 inches of snow in late January so I have a 15 inch beagle.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 12-12-2007 22:43
When I was a kid, I had a beagle that was a natural rabbit dog.  Out in the fields, he used to love to not only chase rabbits, but he would try to maneuver them towards me.  And this with absolutely no training!  After I saw him do that a couple of times, I carried a slingshot on my field trips.  I took a lot of shots but never hit a rabbit.  Dog's name was Squeaky.  Sorry about the jerky name.

Bob G.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-13-2007 15:02
You never have to apologize for a dog's name.  All you need to do is blame it on someone else.
Parent - By PlanB (*) Date 12-14-2007 02:18
I had a dog named Sancho. Wife was not happy when the kids asked about Sancho in public. I thought it was cute.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-13-2007 17:41
I have a female cat named Slob, who tries to match wits with the turkeys I feed in my back yard...turkeys always win!
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 12-13-2007 12:42
The type of dog you use depends somewhat on your type of hunting, type of birds, and conditions.  For example a Visla is a fine upland bird dog but would not be suited to pulling ducks out of the Chesapeake Bay in January.

Do you like a pointer or a flusher?  A brittany is an excellent flusher for upland game and can be used to a certain extent on waterfowl.

My personal preference for an all around gun dog would be the Labrador.  Yes I know everyone has one but they make excellent retrievers in the duck blind and can also be trained as flushing or pointing dogs for pheasants, chukars, etc.

If I were looking soley for a waterfowl dog I would choose either a Chesapeake Bay dog or a Lab.  There are other fine waterfowl dogs out there but these two will get the job done.  Lab's are typically easier to train than a Chessie but a Chessie will retrieve in water that a Lab will just look at.  Currently I have a Lab and use him exclusivley for waterfowl.

He is very well trained and knows his business.  In the end it is you as the owner who makes the dog.  My Lab and I work out 3 to 4 times a week for 20 to 30 minutes each session.  When he was younger, 8 weeks to 6 months, sessions were about 5minutes each once a day.  I have done all training myself and would put my dog up against a pofessionally trained retriever any day of the week.  Come up with a training program and then stick to it.  Consistency is the key!
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-13-2007 14:16
Yep, Goose has it right.  The owner makes the dog. 

They are like professional athletes, training and discipline makes them the best in their sport.  Family history lays the ground work, and training hones the natural skills.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Gun Dogs