Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 305D fuel pump
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-19-2007 05:59 Edited 12-20-2007 12:33
Trying to get an experienced opinion on this one. Since i have had this machine it has bogged out in altitude. It now does this all the time. I noticed that it gets very little fuel in the primary filter bowl. I have always kept both filters fresh but it has always been an a**, the higher I go with it. I have had it in the shop, and got raped by the idiot that told me every time that he just didn't know what the problem was. Of course at these times,my machine was at a much lower elevation.......can someone please help me, because nobody feels like doing it - not even Lincoln Electric, they told me that I would just have to live with it.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-20-2007 07:10
SD: Isn't there an electric fuel pump option on some of these machines [at least the gas engines] for high altitude operation? Perhaps You could add one and see if it helps. The other thing that comes to mind is that at altitude the engine will be much more sensitive to air filter restriction. You could try it briefly in a cleen place without the filter and see if it helps. Maybee You could retrofit a bigger filter if that is the problem.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-20-2007 22:50
I ran it w/out the primary filter and same thing. I talked to a diesel tech and we're going to do away with the mechanical pump and see what happens with an electric pump.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-21-2007 04:16
I use a little pump made by Purolator on the diesel in My sailboat. It is about $35 at Pep Boys, NAPA sells the same product under thier own name. The pump is tapped 1/8 NTP and comes with hose barbs. The overall dimensions are about 2"x2"x2" and it runs on 12 volts. You could put it inline between the tank and mechanical pump, no need to remove the mechanical pump. Ideally the first filter/water seperator will be before the pump, as the water droplets seperate easier before they are run through the pump.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-22-2007 04:33
We'll get it figured..........
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 305D fuel pump