Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / saltwater Welding Machine
- - By Sandlapper Date 12-19-2007 09:56
Hi All, I have heard that a welding machine can be made from two copper (coated) rods emersed in a barrel of brine.  120 V in one rod and welding current out the other. Anyone heard about this?
        Any input welcome, Sandlapper in SC
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-19-2007 11:41
Welcome to the Forum Sandy

I keep one of those in my garage right next to my magic carpet, which of course I bought with the pot of gold I found at the end of the rainbow.   :)
Parent - - By Sandlapper Date 12-19-2007 12:01
Thanks Lawrence, I know it does sound kooky but, according to Ohm's Law: "If you lower the voltage you automatically raise the amperage".
I've asked everywhere. Looks like I'll have to build one.
                               C ya  Hey! It's snowin'. Must be that global warming kickin' in.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-20-2007 02:01 Edited 12-20-2007 02:04
The salt brine simply varies the resistance. I use the technique to load my power supplies and burn out the carbon from the diesel if hasn't been worked hard enough. Just be warned of the hydrogen gas that is generated by the disassociation of oxygen and hydrogen from the current passing through the salt water brine.

Amps = voltage / resistance; increased resistance reduces the amps if voltage is held constant.

Try building one anyway, it will be educational.

Here's a website that might provide some equations that can be useful: www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-20-2007 05:44
Al, Doesn't electrolisis of salt water release chlorine too? I think I would be pretty worried about that as well.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2007 01:21
Hello Dave;

I use a five gallon bucket of water with one pound of salt dissolved in to act as the electrolyte. I believe the sodium and chlorine are deposited on opposite electrodes as chemical compounds, but most of it simply stays in solution. If the sodium and chlorine came out of solution, the values of voltage and amperage wouldn't stabilize. Instead, one electrode is consumed and the other isn't. The oxygen and hydrogen evolve at opposite electrodes. The electrodes are copper/steel plates that are welded test plates that didn't pass radiography. They are suspended from a wooden rod across the top of the bucket of water. I control the voltage and amperage by moving the copper plates closer or further apart in the brine. It is interesting to note that the weld deposit between the carbon steel and copper is the first component to be consumed.

The diesel welder will "wet stack" if it isn't worked hard enough and carbon deposits can build up in the cylinders. The heavy load produced by the current passing from one plate to the other puts a good load on the engine so it heats up and burns the carbon out. The engine really growls under the load.

The kids get a kick out of the explosive fire ball produced when I touch the two copper plates together to ignite the hydrogen and oxygen gases. It drives the neighbor's dog crazy. Great fun, this welding game!

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-21-2007 03:48
I have read that when boats become flooded that there is chlorine released from the electrolisis of the salt water [due to the imersion of the battery bank and electrical system]. Fortunatly I never experienced it first hand. It might only be noticable in an enclosed space. A similar systen to what You describe was used in the old days to dim theater lights. How big are the electrode plates and what amperage are You working at?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-20-2007 06:10
I see another edition to the farm code in the making
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 12-20-2007 11:53 Edited 12-20-2007 11:57
if you could use a sausage as a rod holder then you could cook as well as pickle with that salt'o'welder.
if you can get it to work maybe you could throw in some onions and use it for high frequency tig  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EweASjo68Q
resistance bank is a pretty good idea al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2007 01:22
I believe you're on to something!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-23-2007 03:34
Hello Dave;

I believe you are referring to the diesel electric drive submarines that had huge banks of storage batteries for underwater propulsion.

The batteries contained acid which did react with seawater to generate chlorine. In this case, where salt is added to the water to make it a better electrolyte, there is no acid involved.

Merry Christmas.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-23-2007 05:02
Al, the story I read was about a sailboat that took on water. As I was living on My sailboat and cruising at the time it hit pretty close to home.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / saltwater Welding Machine