Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 day oilfield welding class
- - By mody454 (**) Date 12-17-2007 20:27
has anyone ever run across a 3 day class like the one up in canada on pipe line or oil field stuff im not to worried about the pipe line  but i would be interested in setting well heads and stuff youd do in the patch  if not maybe there are some old school guys out there interested in doing a three day class like that
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-17-2007 22:52
man i wish you could find something like that  down here
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 12-18-2007 12:40
yea canada is a long haul for just a three day class   at my school we cover pipe line pretty good but nothin to do with the patch i have been looking all over  be nice if there was some retired patch guy with some spare time and the need for a little money
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-18-2007 17:18
the co's o worked for dont require any kind of special training or even certs jus show up and prove yourself pretty much if you can fit and weld you got it made. usually most oil filed co's just ask for a 6g cert and some will ask for insurance but mostly insurance that way if your weld breaks and some1 getsd hurt it dont fall on there insurance
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-19-2007 02:41 Edited 12-19-2007 02:44
Hummmm,OK
I have a 3 day oilfied welding class I will put on. You show up Welder, weldor, rods and gas. Bring some pipe as we will be welding. Only $3000. If you are not satisfied, give me another 3K and I will do it for 3 more days.

Still not satisfied you are qualified, I will offer a special 6 days for $6K. By the end of the week you will be ready to hit any oilfied job!

Satisfaction guaranteed! Have not had any complanits from anyone so it has to be the real deal!

Will cover all aspects of oil field and pipeline welding with special emphasis on the new edition of FC2002 with all appendix.

Cash or Western Union Money order. No Checks, credit cards or them Iowa nickel pop cans.
BABRT's
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-19-2007 03:16
Since You will be covering FC2002, that is a bargain. You cant get instruction on that code anywhere else for love or money. :-)
Parent - - By turningnburning Date 12-19-2007 04:27
You dont need no three day class. Crank up the heat and smoke that bead in. High heat/low talent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-19-2007 05:14
To shadow the majority: the only 3 day class I've had was the "lets see what you're made of" sort of 3 day class.......that is a class of it's own. Makes you nervous, funny in the gut, but means that at the end of 3 days - everything xrayed and you're good..............huh?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-19-2007 05:20
turnnburn - low talent i think not. low talent means that when the xray truck comes along you are the first one to burn rubber...........
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 12-19-2007 16:13
well thanks guys your alot of help  (sarcasm) n  no i m not worried about the welding aspect of it im a little more concerned about the fact i dont know what a well head is or looks like  so here is a better question any buddy need a free helper for a couple of weeks
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-19-2007 21:13
a well head is a delicate thing. You better get it right, cause if you don't - that's your a**. I do maybe 100 wellheads a year, and I never EVER slack on them. What are your specific questions?
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 12-19-2007 21:56
is this like a bevel with root hot and cap?
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-20-2007 23:07
I've seen guys put their root in with 5p, but I don't do it. LH all the way out. 3 big passes on the bottom and hopefully 1 inside. On some of them you can't see enough of your arc under the bevel. If you ever have one that wont test the first time, I guarantee it will be the inside leaking.
Parent - By NMWELDING (**) Date 12-21-2007 19:32
You are right Sourdough,Lo-Hi all the way,never use 5P at all on wellheads. And if you are refering to the inside weld of the wellhead you are absolutely correct,difficult to see and for me it involves a little bit of feel your way and a little bit of guess your way. Never had a problem with wellheads in my 28 years of oilfield welding,but the inside weld is getting more difficult see. Lately I have been putting a second weld on top of the first inside the wellhead always making sure it does not protrude out past the inside wall of the pipe. This I view as added insurance against leakage. Thanks.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-21-2007 15:18
No it is not the caseing bowl fits over the pipe and you weld an overhead fillet on the outside and a fillet on the inside. I m asumeing that a well head and casing bowl are the same thing.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-22-2007 04:28
Never heard called a casing bowl in the time that I've been welding them on. Learn something new everyday.......
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 12-22-2007 18:01
Also keep in mind that you need to be 100 % sure what alloy you material is. Communicate with your part guy too. Ive run into several well head jobs that Ive had to use different preheating procedures because the material was 4140 or T1. 300 degree preheat and 11018  all the way out and NOTHING ELSE! Casing Bowl??? New one to me too.........
Parent - - By mody454 (**) Date 12-19-2007 16:15
hummm ok  kuhnah got jokes   lol you got a payment plan  lol 
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-20-2007 01:07
Ya betcha,
Send me the money any way you want. 10 dollars here 10 dollars there when you get the full $3000 come on down and we will do the schoolin. Just keep them Iowa nickle pop cans.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-20-2007 05:02
$50.00 dollar down ,$50 dollar a month, for 50 years. Cheap at any price.LOL
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 3 day oilfield welding class