Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / so what
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-19-2007 06:36
I gotta say - what is a welder?

A welder is someone who can take plans and make them a reallity.............are you a true welder?

A  true welder is one who says, " you know what, we need to change this a little, that aint gonna work!"

A true welder is one that knows that if an engineer built it - we need to work around that!

A welder knows that if he goes to bed and does not sleep - he is really not a true welder........

A REAL welder makes code welds every time, period!

Are you a true welder.........?
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 12-19-2007 15:37
hi sourdough, when you go to a job in the field, what is more typical for your type of work as far as w.p.s's go? do you already have a bunch ready to go in your rig that you use or does the company that you're doing contract work with provide them to you?

thanks,
JJ
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-19-2007 21:22
I have worked for pipeline outfits that supplied everything, but offered a lesser wage. The money is good, because you are working every day. BUT if I supply all consumables on a job, I'm not spending more than 200 dollars for myself............so - somebody offering to supply consumables isn't really doing you a big favor.

As a general rule, I have everything I need in my rig - 2 of everything.........
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 12-19-2007 21:50
thanks for the reply, that's good info to know. but if a person where to go out into rig work, would you have to have weld procedure specifications pertaining to the specific job to be done or do outfits usually provide those?
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 12-19-2007 23:21
A WPS is not a consumable.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 12-19-2007 23:43
i am aware of that, i was just reverting back to my original question. but figured i should show some appreciation for the info sourdough gave me.

regards
JJ
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 12-20-2007 02:38
a real welder knows what a WPS is. harhar
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-20-2007 23:13
The procedure is what you decide it will be when you get to looking at it. Unless you have a boss that wants it done a certain way. So many times when you're doing a repair on a rig you are working with junk iron. The tool pusher always wants to "save" money and give you what they have laying around to work with. If it's impossible to make it code - well, throw a bunch of LH on it till you feel good about it. Sad,but true - that is what it comes down to sometimes.......
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-21-2007 04:46
SD: Is this sort of work not covered by a code or do they just ignore it?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-22-2007 04:29
Damn right they ignore it....that's ther job - or so they think.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-24-2007 01:25
This is where the red book kicks in Dave trust me he's right i do it almost everyday the tool pusher wants it done yesterday. His rig is down so the comapny is loosing money get in do it and get out no thank yous or are you sure it's suppose to be done that way just do it and be quick about it and if you're lucky he'll have the material in the junk box or you might have some on the truck if not use what you can find or like Sully said weld the hell out of it and pray it works when you're done it usually does
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-20-2007 04:35
For me I do the same, every thing on the rig is yours for what I'm charging that day. Something new for me is I offer 5% off for anyone that pays within 14 days it's work'en great try it =tip for the day
Parent - - By banshee35 (**) Date 12-20-2007 02:40 Edited 12-20-2007 04:35
If you want to talk about war go to the "Off Topic Bar and Grill"
If you want to talk about how good you are go to "Off Topic Bar and Grill"
If you want to tell everyone how much money you earn go to "Off Topic Bar and Grill"
If you want to tell everyone how many "Coded" welds you do go to "Off Topic Bar and Grill"
If you want to tell everyone how big your gun is go to "Off Topic Bar and Grill"

That allows those of us who are only interested in serious discussions on welding the option of not venturing to that part of the forum.

I quote mr. feder on the above quotations. I am a welder, a true welder, but I don't go bragging like some people do. I make code welds everyday, period. No one cares. I was told once, that if someone is bragging about doing something( at the time it was about having sex), then they're the ones who really aren't doing sh*t!
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 12-20-2007 03:56
I agree with that 100% banshee.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-22-2007 04:34
Check out Justin O's particulars - they are quite interesting.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-20-2007 23:15
I love you man, are ya still angry?

I say this : better living through chemistry - it works for me.........
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / so what