Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / quick question about towing a sa 200?
- - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-22-2007 20:55
I have a 98 jeep wrangler with a maxium towing of 2000 pounds and have come across a sa 200 about 5 hours away from me and was wondering should I look into rent a truck to get this thing back home? I was going to tow it on my 5x8 trailer that is a 2000 pound trailer but it says on the trailer to not exceed 1560 pounds what are your opinions on this? I have read some say yeah you can pull it up to about 2000 pounds but the scary part is braking. I'm thinking if I drive slow like 55mph and not like a maniac I should be able to pull it. What are your opinions? I know the SA 200 is about 1300 pounds correct? Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-22-2007 22:25
I have always said, you can be the best driver in the world, but if some idiot slams on their brakes,cuts you off or a deer jumps out in front of you, most people that respond fast enough slam on their own brakes or swerve hard, you take a chance everytime you take a breath, I have seen people die sitting at home watching tv,sleeping or anything.
It sounds like your setup will handle the SA200. just take it easy and expect the unexpected, and you should be alright.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-22-2007 23:00
thank you for replying I have checked out prices for a truck to rent and the price isn't bad at all, I may end up going that way so we'll see thanks
Parent - - By sparkin (*) Date 12-23-2007 00:05
I think your on the right path now, your insurance deductible is probably more than the truck rental anyway. Once you get it home you can see what the Jeep is made of. If braking is the only problem and your going to be towing it around a lot, just put brakes on that trailer. Good luck with it.
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 12-23-2007 00:10
I have towed my SA-200, and 250 with my CJ-5 many times, not a problem. Just take it slow, because a Jeep is not a 1 ton truck, and the trailer will crack the whip on you before you know it.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-23-2007 04:11
Thanks guys
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 12-23-2007 07:45
Well, with a 98, he would have a TJ, which should have an even more stable suspension on the road. 
That being said, while the Wrangler has the same "pulling" capacity as the Cherokee, the reason the Wrangler's listed "towing" capacity is so much lower than the Cherokee and other similarly built trucks, is that with its very short wheelbase, the vehicle can get pushed around by the trailer very easily.  Brakes on the trailer will help with this to a degree.
Does your trailer have bias, or radial tires.  Bias tires tend to follow better on a trailer.  Getting the tongue weight right, and the trailer balanced correctly also very important, as is securing the load (something this large should probably be bolted down, welded down, or chained, but I'm not providing any rigging advice here).
The SA200 weighs in at around 1300lbs.  Taking it slow may help, but maybe for the long trip, a bigger truck would do better.  Its all up to your comfort level.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-23-2007 16:11
rlitman yes it is a TJ and no I don't have trailer brakes and really not sure what tires are on it other then there like brand new. I'm gonna see about renting a truck and if I can't get one I will use my jeep. My comfort level well I could probally do it hell I drove a nissan sentra over 300 miles with no clutch and there weren't any grinding so yeah i could probally do this but if I can get a truck then there is no sense in useing me jeep. Thanks for all of your comments.

Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / quick question about towing a sa 200?