Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Forum and what it means to me
- - By aevald (*****) Date 12-21-2007 06:10
Hello everyone, I typically try not to get tied up in the rants that sometimes occur on the forum here. I first came to the forum because of all of the interesting topics and information that were presented here. I still come here for that reason. I have had the joy of making many different contacts with many different people from all walks of life and any number of different areas of expertise. I consider many of these folks to be friends with whom I can converse, ask questions, and share points of view, information, ideas, and any number of other things. I thoroughly enjoy the inquisitiveness of many who frequent this site and the energy that they bring with their contributions and questions. Consider the range of individuals who are present on the forum at any given time, there are wives, husbands, moms, dads, sisters, brothers, girlfriends, newbies, rookies, artists, the list goes on, each of these folks bring their own perspectives, questions, ideas, and other considerations for everyone to comment on and give their wisdom and observations to. The large majority of responses from all of the folks here are friendly, encouraging, supportive, informative, and technically laden, definitely the ones that I enjoy reading the most. 
     When I see folks get a bit over-the-top with their responses, I just think that it is very likely that if these same individuals were just in from a day in the trenches and having a beer talking over the days challenges the atmosphere might be considerably different, I almost believe that I could guarantee it. After all, think about your conversations with friends or co-workers, don't a lot of these revolve around the challenges you have been up against and what it took to overcome them? When I have been involved in threads where I have had differences of opinion or other disagreements I try very hard to consider that if I can put aside my personal beliefs for a moment or two and consider others, I might just see where they are coming from and learn something outside of my own personal views. Believe me, I am not trying to show myself as being infallible or better than anyone else. My age has taught me a bit about learning from others, observing, separating the B.S. and going with what I believe to be the best choice. The nice thing about personal choice is, you can listen to everyone and hear everything about anything, but in the end you make the choice of how you choose to use the information.
     Another really neat thing about this forum to me, revolves around the ability for me to keep things fresh in my mind and not have them go dormant. You know the old saying, " if you don't use it you lose it", well I would be losing a lot of different things if I didn't see them posted on here a number of different times and discussed in a number of different ways. That's the other nice thing too, Even though you may think there can't possibly be any more information or a different way to look at something, I still see new information, a different way of looking at, using, or considering a given topic. I have also run into some views that I held on certain topics that I felt I knew correctly and when I have seen them discussed on here I learned differently, call it humble pie or whatever you like, I learned, I learn, and I will continue to learn.
     I am very appreciative of all of the folks who come here to contribute, question, share, and be a part of this group. I do feel this is one of the best sites that I have ever frequented. I hope that people will continue to join and share both their work related issues and other topics as I do believe that "variety is the spice of life". I hope everybody enjoys a great holiday season and a terrific new year. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 12-21-2007 17:20
Hey Allan,
Your post is superbly defined, as usual. Like you, I feel this forum is the absolute premium website for the most informative topics, solutions, suggestions, and help that anyone in the welding arena could want. There is indeed a group of primo welders, engineers, CWI/CWE's, and the everyday experiences of the most talented who are willing to share their knowledge base. Even in my "cruisin'" years, I still learn and seek answers to issues that arise or I question. I've never had a problem that wasn't solved thru the assistance received here.

I can see, thru the words projected here, those who are great sources of info., wisdom, and kindness to help another become better.....the neverending goal of we who have a passion to weld. With that quest, there are a few instances where personalities can clash because of the interpretation of a response. Also, many times, words are cast before the thought process has engaged. There are a multitude of beliefs, experiences, temperment, interpretation, and all the associated parameters of our culture that will, at times, initiate a heated conversation. I, too, generally stay away from interjecting my personal beliefs into a post, even if I know, or feel, the post should be challenged. Many seem to take offense or cannot accept constructive criticism, or even take the opportunity to just think and take it into consideration. Human nature.....the infinite conglomeration of emotions.

We, indeed live in the most satisfying and comfortable country with the freedoms and opportunities others envy. Guess, at times, we should just say "Thank You" to the "Creator" for being born in a place that some would kill or die for.......Thanks Allan for the reminder...Denny
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-21-2007 18:17
Allen, Denny,
I too am grateful for the forum and the broad knowledge base that make it up...lots of very experienced and knowledgeable folk who are eager to lend an ear and a helping hand. When I was getting started in my QC/QA position I relied heavily upon the forum and it's members to help me get through some very challenging and rewarding decisions. My QC manager that was helping me break into the field of weld inspection was in poor health and ultimately went on to be with the Lord way before I was ready to tackle any of this. Feeling all alone and very unworthy of the position I came here to the forum to ask the members for help. I was very surprised to see the great responses and openness to share. The majority of advice that was offered was spot on, many included references to point me in the right direction so I could make an informed decision. We do have a great group here, and I feel very appreciative to be a part of it.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-22-2007 08:44
"when you think you know it all you are one thing....useless."  qoute from a welder 30 years my senior many years ago.

I am learning here and thats why I comeback to read time and time again.....yes I impart opinions as well as common welding truths when I see fit to do so but for the most part I read and expand my knowledge because I know that it will become useful to me at one time or another if it happens to be out of my realm now.   The little kid things that get said are just part of the net and human nature as well as an indicator of our lack of social development in our education system.....no biggie its just there and don't mean much.

The second reason this place is important to me is I feel kinship toward many here.  Some have developed into true friends despite the distances.  Like any forum this is a community without a physical location and it is wide open to anyone who wishes to visit or to stay.  That is fine by me because I gain much more here than I lose.

Best Regards Fellas + Gals
Tommy
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-22-2007 10:17
Absolutely agree with every single comment in this thread!!!  Leave it to Allen to come up with a positive, uplifting and concise posting!  Great job all around!  What I've learned, after 34 years in our business and having had the pleasure of meeting many of those I consider "the great ones" is just what a teeny, tiny little bit I know for sure about our field!  I guess that's why in my entire career I've never felt a desire to change the course... Great friends, excellent insights and an opportunity to omeet people from around the globe to share our wonderful trade with.

One of "the great ones" whom I will miss dearly for the rest of my life, Chuck Meadows, who quite literally became like a brother to me... it's his kind who share so willingly and openly that make this forum so very rewarding.  One thing you'll notice about "the great ones" like Chuck, they're usually the most humble people you'll ever meet.  I mention his name only because he and I were so close but this forum is just jam packed with "the great ones."

Thanks to all who have given their time and expertise in making this such a wondeful place.

Jon
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-23-2007 08:48
From the little ole country of New Zealand (some call it Godzone) I send seasons greetings to all on the forum.
I hope you and your families all have a great Xmas and all the best for '08,
Best Wishes,
Shane

P.S. Jon, I will be having a quiet rum for Chuck at some stage, he was a true gentleman.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-23-2007 10:07
Thanks Shane, I'll tip one (or more, to the both of you!)... My mother-in-law calls NZ a "tiny little country at the bottom of the world, that nobody knows about."  Man, if we could only keep her that way!!! ;-)  One day, maybe in the next few years, we'll meet up in Godzone and sit around and tip a few.  I've really appreciated the wisdom and wealth of diversified experiences you've shared with the forum these past years Shane, you're a true gentleman yourself!  I'm looking at either the Nelson or Blenhiem area as home when we finally get to that point.

Regards,

Jon
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-23-2007 10:24
Hi Jon,
I'm at home at my Mum and Dads in Mount Maunganui  drinking Tanduay rum (Philippino special) that I snuck away in my bag coming home and talking to people all over the world via the internet.(It's 11 pm here so the typing is slowing down big-time)
Would be honoured to share a rum or three with you when you finally arrive on NZ soil,
Have a great Xmas Jon and all the best for '08,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-23-2007 11:29
Amazingly small world Shane; we spent the night in Mount Maunganui while we were there in October!!!  Very nice place!  Nice to know the time differences, it's 4.20pm here and 6.20am at home!  Hopefully my wife Karen will be awake soon so she can skype me!!!  It's been a horrible, windy, icy, rainy day here in Kazakhstan, I wanted to go across the road to the little deli but am not setting foot out of the room today!!!  Enjoy the rum Shane, you deserve it!  We'll be in touch!

Jon
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Forum and what it means to me