Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld strength of 304 Stainless
- - By - Date 07-27-2000 16:02
I am wondering if anyone has any current info on acceptable weld strength for fillet welds using 304 stainless steel. I am first assuming the weld material is as strong or stronger thank the base material. The yield strength for 304 is 35 ksi. One text I have suggests using 40% the yield strength of the base material for shear and 100% of the base material for tension or compression.

To calulate the stress I am making the area calculation based on .707 x l x c

l= length c= fillet leg size.
This assume the fillet throat does not penetrate the base material. I believe it is a TIG process used.

I would appreciate any comments or feedback on this approach.

Thanks,

John
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-01-2000 19:13
Take a look at the answers posted to the question "Weld Strength", asked by an unidentified person in this same site. The book you have is correct in saying that the material's yield stength for shear is about 40% of the yield strength for tension, compression and flexion (this latter it's me who added). This, however, doesn't preclude you from selecting a suitable safety factor for figuring out the allowable working strength.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weld strength of 304 Stainless