Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Blue or Red
- - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-24-2007 20:48
Im buying a plasma cutter after Xmas.
Do i buy milller or do i buy lincoln?

Im looking at a ProCut 55 in a Lincoln Product or
Miller Spectrum 2050.

I would rather go red, but i need YOUR imput. Thanks for Responding
Parent - - By crazydog (**) Date 12-24-2007 21:54
At the school I taught at and our shop we have had every brand of plasma cutter, Lincoln, Miller, Esab, ThermoDynamics and have had the best luck with Hypertherm. They have given us the best performance. I know they are not red or blue but they work.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-24-2007 23:57
tell me more!!! i have not made my decision yet!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-25-2007 03:54
Darin, a few years ago one of the local welding supply shops told Me they COULD sell any brand as they are dealers for practically everything, but they felt that Hypertherm & Thermal Dynamics were enough better that they tried not to sell the others. Recently KSellon mentioned that Hypertherm was best from Her point of view ["Plasma Cutters Anyone" page 2 of this section].
Parent - - By DLWood (*) Date 12-25-2007 00:23
Hypertherm seems to be the one of choice from what I've seen. I have a 600 on my Plasmacam, never missed a beat. Use OEM parts and clean DRY air. My thoughts haev always been to buy the best I could afford even if they don't match color or make. Like a Milwaukee grinder, Dewalt miter saw, Stihl chainsaw. My reasearch shows Hypertherm wins on this one.

DLWood
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-25-2007 03:55
i will check hypertherm out! thanks DL,dave,crazydog.  I get to buy my own xmas gift. im in the mood for a plasma cutter
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-26-2007 04:14
I'd go with the Hypertherm, if I recall right they are at the higher end of the price range. I've useed about all of the brands of Plasma Arcs. What ever the thickest material you think you will cut, step up the machine. What I mean is if you are going to cut up to 1" don't get a 0"-1' machine get a 0"-1 1/2". Ofcourse that is all set by the volts you can get to run the machine and enough air flow from your compressor.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-26-2007 14:33
thanks for your reply!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Blue or Red