Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / band saw blade coolant.
- - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-26-2007 03:20
i have another question about the band saw. what coolant mix do i use to quench or cool the saw blade.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-26-2007 03:38
You might try using the saw without any coolant. I have used saws with and without in industry, but My little saw at home I run dry. We used water soluable oil in the shops that used coolant, it is messy and will get really stinkey if You don't use the machine often enough.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-26-2007 05:01
1 thing you should do is break in your blade the way the manufacturer tells you, a poorly broken in blade will make the best seem like junk!
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 12-26-2007 05:53
what are you mostly cutting?
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-26-2007 14:31
angle, channel and 1/4wall tubing.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-26-2007 16:41
Hello shorthood2006, you have received really great replies already. Consider that using coolant will extend the life of a blade considerably in certain situations, I put it that way due to the different uses that saws get and the different materials that many people cut with them. Cast iron is somewhat of an exception here, generally you should saw cast iron dry. All of the various blade pitches and tooth configurations have specific purposes and are suited to certain materials and thicknesses. Band speed should be a consideration if your saw has the capability to change this, generally, slower speeds are used for harder materials and thicker solid sections, faster speeds are generally used when cutting softer metals. Blades with more teeth/inch are used for hollow shapes and thinner sections. You also need to consider rate of blade fall when cutting any material, less tooth pressure for harder and hollow sections, more tooth pressure for cutting solid and softer materials. Most blade manufacturers or saw manufacturers will have charts and written materials available that will provide more of the specifics with regard to these parameters. In some cases cutting waxes will be a really good choice for using on saw blades, particularly on vertical band saws where they are using rubberized idler and drive wheels, or in some cases if you're using a portaband or similar type saw. There are synthetic coolants, cutting waxes, and good old soluble oil, you may consider trying some of these and seeing which best suits your purpose and pocketbook.
     As others have said: break-in new blades, try to use a band speed suited to your particular blade type  and the material you are sawing, if possible select the band saw tooth-type and configuration that best fits your sawing uses, and based on frequency of use and personal preference select a coolant if so desired. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-26-2007 18:02
this puts a new prospective on things, thanks alot aevald!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-26-2007 22:41
Hello darren, those are some really good and informative links. Thanks for sharing. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / band saw blade coolant.