Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-22-2007 02:39
Has anyone on the forum  taken the cwi exam though the Hobart Institute if so I would like to hear your opinion.

M.G.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-22-2007 03:23
does Hobart give the exam, or just teach you to pass it?
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-22-2007 03:50
The way that I'm ready it on the tenth day the test will be given to accepted applicants.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-27-2007 05:43
CWI exam on the 10th day????AWS QC1 has specific hoops to jump prior to taking the AWS CWI exam. Any one can write a test and issue a card, but it will NOT!!! be an AWS-CWI!
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-27-2007 10:49
Hobart Institute is an authorized testing location for the AWS CWI Exam.  You can take the training there and take the examination the AWS QC-1 CWI Examination the next day.  IT IS THE REAL AWS QC-1 EXAMINATION!!!

You still have to complete the AWS application and have your Eye Examination Etc.

I would recommend the Hobart Institute two week course to enyone.
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 12-27-2007 15:38
has anyone ever heard of real education they give cwi exam as well. anyone have any commenets on them.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-27-2007 17:12
Thanks for the response Joseph P. Kane, I was thinking about taking the two week course.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-27-2007 18:19
I took the two week course and the test at Hobart years ago and highly recommend them. Their instructors know their stuff when it comes to this. I had plenty of schooling and plenty of hands on experience before I went there and I'm still glad I went. They say their pass rate is double that of the AWS's 1 week course. Honestly, I cant see how anyone would pass the test with only 1 week of training. I felt the test was quite grueling,but the rewards of being a CWI are worth it. I work for a welding school in New York and am not affraid to say that Hobart is one of if not the best out there. Just to tour their facility is way cool. First class all the way.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-27-2007 23:00
"I cant see how anyone would pass the test with only 1 week of training"
I passed it by taking just the exam, no 1 week or 2 week training, and I know there are others that have also!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-27-2007 23:21
Apollogize for not being informed on the AWS and Hobart. The point I should have emphasized is that make sure the prerequisites (application and eye exam) detailed in QC1 are folowed so you know it is an AWS CWI. I know of a couple of Tech Schools that give students mock/outdated CWI exams and there has been a misunderstanding as to the graduate's inspector status. Just remember, no matter what school you attend, one is always self educated. There is no substitute for diligante study. "Chance favors the prepared"! Good luck on your test. They do throw out the darndest questions!!!
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-28-2007 03:46
Due respect to all whom have posted a response here, but training and experience are two different things. I do not believe that an individual can be trained to pass the CWI examination in two weeks!
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-28-2007 04:00
I agree, the week seminar AWS has i hear is just a course on whats on the exam,  like a refresher course, but i think i did see on hobarts site they guarantee you pass or they keep letting you take the exam, its been months since i seen it so my wording may be off a little. I hope the latter isn't the case because if anyone tests enough times, your bound to pass eventually!
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-28-2007 23:38
If you have a good background in welding and welding technology, are diciplined in study, and understand code formats, then 2 weeks is pleanty of time to absorb the information to pass the test. THere are too many of us who did inot take a CWI prep class and passed. IT would be interesting for AWS to find out the percentage of those who took a prep class and passed and those who did not and passed. If you have an understanding of welding, inspection and codes, the passing the test should not be a problem. But it takes dicipline to grab those books and put in the study time.
BABRt's
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 01-03-2008 19:08
Amen brother I just took the exam after alot of self study and guidence from friends.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-28-2007 14:00 Edited 12-28-2007 14:03
Milton

I took their course in 1992.  I wasn't sure if I would need it or not.  Even though I was not a CWI, I taught the CWI course in my local AWS Section.  I had the money, so to me the UT review part was worth it.  However, In the end, they didn't have a very good UT review and the only advantage to me was that it was a confidence builder. 

Hobart Institute taught the subject in the first week, but the second week seemed like a cram course on the examination.  I would recommend the two week course, if you have the money to spare, of if you are unsure.  If you legitimately have the welding to a code, and other experience, and you can force yourself to read those books, twenty pages a night, several times over, and then take the Hands-On AWS Training, you can pass the examination without any other course.

In another string on the forum, one comment stood out to me.  The entry made a remark about so many of the people in the class who didn't seem to have a clue.  I recently ran into several people who do not meet the experience requirements, but who are going to lie about it, and take the examination. ( I'll be waiting for two of them with an ethics charge after they make the AWS richer by a couple of grand.)

So, I would recomment the Hobart Institute Two Week Course, without reservation to anyone who can afford it.  If you go there, plan on studying every night and on the weekend.  Do not watch TV, and do not go sight seeing. (Except maybe to the Air Farce Museum in Dayton.)  Make sure you have the recommended books before you go there, and read those books every day for as long as you can before you go

Joe Kane.
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 12-28-2007 16:39
I say kudos to those of you who passed without any outside help. But when I took mine I was told that the AWS's pass rate was around 30 %. Not exactly a number I was comfortable with considering the $$$ involved.So unless you fall into that percent I would suggest some formal help. I do agree that two weeks training does not replace years of experience and training was probably not the best word to use. What you will get from Hobart is a prep course related to the subjects covered on the exam. I too agree with Joe Kane with the amount of reading and studying.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-28-2007 17:43
To Joe Kane, Thanks again for your input, I have the certification manual for welding Inspectors the fourth edition have you any more suggestion or study material that you think I need. I've welded for 35 years on many different welding processes, but I really didn't think about technical part of it until I joined this forum which I think got me thinking and have learned a lot just by reading. I would like to think you and many of the people on this forum for there help.
                                       MG
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-28-2007 17:58 Edited 12-31-2007 15:06
most of this you probably know. aws a2.4 welding symbols, you don't need to memorize anything for the code portion. just have a good understanding of how the code is formated. be proficient at looking up specific requirements, including footnotes. for the hands on portion, forget what you already know. answer all questions from the sample code provided. as far as the general knowledge portion, after 35 years you should know this. also, tab your code book. i took mine to d1.1. i used one color tab for chapters, one for common tables ( 3.1, 3.2, 6.1,...), and one for typical references and the index. the index, if your testing to d1.1 start trying to anwsire all questions using the index. this code is so well indexed. all i studied was the cert manual 1/2 hour a night for 3 weeks prior to the test.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-28-2007 22:25
Milton

Get A2.4, A3.0, the WIT and the AWS Welding Handbook Volume 1.

Read 20 pages of A2.4 and A3.0 every day, until you are done wtih the book, then start over again.  Read one chapter of the WIT every night, then start over.  If you can get the WIT Work Book of sample questions,  test yourself after each chapter.  Time yourself for 45 seconds per question, then look up the answer in the WIT and read the paragraphs before and after the paragraph with the answer.  This approach will give you an insight on how long you have on the exam.   Save one of the sample test question sets, until the last day before you take the exam.  this will be your last minute confidence builder!

Hogan sure is right on the rest of it.  I would recommend the Hands-On training from AWS if you do not go to the Hobart School.  You need to know how to use the AWS tools, becaus that is what you get on the examination.  It will save you time that you will sorely need during the real exam.  I aslo recommend the D 1.1 Code because it has an index.  If you are more familiar with another code do whatever you feel more comfortable with.   Hogan is right about the Tabbing.

I wasted my money going to Hobart, but I could tell it was superb training, professionally run with excellent teachers.  Don't listen to people who tell you it is the hardest test they ever took.  That kind of talk will just psych you out.  If you study in advance, and you know the subject, the test is not that hard.  Above all, don't psych yourself into a failure mode.

Whatever you do, don't go around asking people what questions they remember.  The questions in the Certification Manual are very similar.  You can do this on your own.  When you get the passing grade, it will be all yours, and you can have real pride in it.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-28-2007 22:55
What also helped me was having a printed copy of the D1.1 Index, so i didn't have to keep flipping the codebook!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-28-2007 22:53
I have the WIT and workbook, both are used but in good shape, workbook has no writing in it. neither does the WIT and they dont have highlights in them, they are clean books with some use on the binding part but they are not falling apart. I will sell for $150 and i will pay shipping. I dont do paypal or credit cards. this is a good price on the books, if interested email me!
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 12-28-2007 23:44
ctacker- You are totally wrong about the AWS instructors teaching to the test- they don't even know what will be on the test. As far as having a printout of the index- that's not allowed. NO loose paper is allowed for the code portion of the exam. Not even scratch paper.
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-29-2007 05:48
Man, that is different than I had when I took my 2nd test.

I pulled both the index, and the table of contents out of the book, stapled them together, and put them on the table in front of me during the code portion of the test. That saved an immense amount of time. I also had a printout with  all the different joints indexed. The proctors saw no problem with this. The only bad part was that they took up a little more space than those 1' tables allowed lol.

Mike
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-30-2007 02:51
I did the same thing, except I had copied the index, didnt use the contents so i didnt need it and i stapled the left side all the way down to make a "book" if you will! did the same for the Errata and redlined my code book to see Errata on the pages the Errata replaced
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-29-2007 06:02
I never said AWS instructors taught the test, and as for the index, I asked the guy giving the exam, and he allowed the index to be in a printout but said I could not get caught writing in it or i would be failed!
Parent - By huey guillory (*) Date 12-30-2007 15:04
I have taken the CWI exam without going to a seminar. I didn,t pass the 1st time. I have been a welder since 1982. I paid $200 for precourse study material. It was worth the money to a certain degree. I made a 50% on the practical, 70% on API 1104 and 72% on fundamentals. It took me 45 minutes to take each portion. I then went to a Real Educational seminar for one day, it was the last day of the seminar. That day was designated for the Practical or Hans 0n portion, but all they were doing were practicing for the Practical part of the exam. Day wasted. I recently attended the seminar given by the AWS in Baton Rouge, LA. The instructor was Rich Depue. He is also a CWI/CWE, welder and also is a Radiographic Interpreter. He was very informative, easy to understand and a very nice person. He could answer ?'s as fast as you could ask them. If he didn't have the answer, he would find it. Before I retest, I will attend the practical portion of the seminaragain. The test is not stressful, it is the time allowed. Consider this; the AWS seminar cost you around $1000.00. But, the material you get at the seminar is yours to keep. The books you get are worth approximately $600.00. It contains alot of books that you can use as an inspector. Ex: welding symbols, practice tests, terms, definitions,. Here is an idea: go to the AWS seminar, pay attention, especially on the practical part on what is acceptable or rejectable on inspections. This way, if you are not sure, you have the books, the information you learned at the seminar and the time to get outside help, such as going to a NDT/Inspection company that will let you observe testing. Good luck!
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 12-29-2007 01:18
I think that if you have the chance to go and do the 2 wk program at their facility, that it would be foolish not to. I went in 2001. Never studied so hard for anything. They worked you for 8 hours a day and gave you about 3 or 4 hours of work to do at night. Instructors are top notch and dedicated. I also took a couple of inspection classes with them prior to the CWI prep coarse and test and passed on the first shot out of the hole. But brother, you'll work for it!
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 12-29-2007 13:13
"I agree, the week seminar AWS has i hear is just a course on whats on the exam, "- ctacker

MY comment about you saying that the instructors teaching to the exam is based on your quote above. I just took the exam this month in Syracuse. There were absolutely NO loose papers allowed. You were allowed pencils, calculator, and D1.1. Nothing else.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-29-2007 18:39
"i hear " are the key words here, and also from what "I HEAR" if you have a photographic memory and can remember every single thing taught at the seminar ,you should be able to pass! and where did i say i had "loose papers" I said I had a copy of the index, AND I had a copy of the Errata sheets and how can you be sure you pass the exam without the errata sheets? I believe my exam was given by a past president of AWS. but i am not 100% sure! The copy of my index was put in a book form, along with the errata sheets in another book form and to be on the safe side, I asked before the exam when the Instructor looked through our D1.1 for loose notes if I was allowed to use the Index I had, He said I was, as long as i dont write in it, you cannot write in your D1.1 during exam either!
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 12-29-2007 22:12 Edited 12-29-2007 22:16
Yeah - you're right.  I'm telling you what we were told THIS MONTH. Not to mention that if you knew your code, you wouldn't need a copy of the index, and errata sheets were never mentioned in the original post. Of course they would be allowed. When I took the test, a copy of the index would have been considered "loose papers". Find someone else to argue with.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-29-2007 22:21 Edited 12-29-2007 22:49
i didn't start this, i took my exam in October, i don't think things changed since then!
i guess you cant take the errata sheets in either. now i feel like i cheated!
also I am to assume that if you printed your codebook you couldn't print your index???

edit: this is where i got my idea about the index,         http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=70000#pid70000 
so i'm not the only one that has done it!
and I do know my code well enough to pass, I dont think there is a CWI out there that didnt have to reference his index  at least a few times during the exam, at least the D1.1 or ASME.
So dont start the arguement, then back out, at least not until i prove my point!
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 12-30-2007 14:07
I took my test in 1996. I passed first time through. I studied for a year on weekends and evenings. I had the required experience, but I lacked the ability to bounce any questions off of anyone who knew anything about inspection. I went to the one week AWS seminar and studied even harder. Ken Coryell was my instructor. He answered all of my questions and helped me put my previous study to practical use.

I took copious notes in my D1.1. I removed tables of contents for annexes, tables and figures at the front of the code and the general index at the back. I was instructed to staple them together however I wished as long as there were no extra pages that were not part of the D1.1.  I stapled the metric pages in  section 3 together, so as not to have them in the way as well. I altered the format of my code book but not the contents. We did the errata changes to our code books in class.
As we went through the code book, Ken stopped at those places that he felt were ripe for test questions and showed us how we could get fouled up if we did not understand the footnotes and and language difficulties in the code.

Ken told us that the altered code books were legal and that we would not be allowed to write in our books during the test, but that any notes already in the book were fine. I think that AWS didn't want the test questions to be marked off as we took the test to keep it fair for those that would take the test in the future,  hence the rule not to write in the code book during the test.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam