Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / new hobby
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-30-2007 03:34
My wife being the wonderful lady that she is looked thru my bookmarks and purchased me a full collective-cyclic 3d aerobatic capable electric helicopter.....been wanting one for over a year (but I won't blow money like that when I got credit cards, kids, house repairs etc.).  Its not a toy.... it says so on the box...lol.  Actually after spinning it up once its easy to see its quite dangerous...akin to a flying electric weed wacker on the bodily injury scale.  The battery tho it fits in the palm of your hand can support a 60 amp discharge rate (albeit at the price of the battery leads)...yep definitely not a toy. 

Well after much tinkering I got a scary fifteen seconds of operation straight up then straight down...resulting in a locked up main motor.  50 bux in spare parts later I realized how expensive this little hobby may become especially if I get the boys into it.  Oh well maybe it will make my guitar collecting look reasonable in money spent with little time.  So if you think I am not around just consider I am probably machining billet parts for my little chopper and doing electrical hot rodding of some sort.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-30-2007 04:58
WAY COOL!!! I have seen a few engine powered 'copters flying at air shows, and have seen a home built one at a hardware store in the Florida Keys. I tried to find out more about it, but with the owner/builder's really limited english and My complete inability with Spanish, about all I understood was that it was really hard to fly. I don't know if these had collective and cyclic controls. Good Luck!!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-30-2007 06:02 Edited 12-30-2007 06:12
Almost all the nitro powered ones have collective and cyclic controls.....only set you back about $100-150 to get started in the electrics...close to $600 to touch a basic nitro powered job....but its after you get going is where the money starts to leak in replacement parts. 

Dave if you can stand on a bowling ball covered in grease barefoot, rub your head and pat your belly all while keeping your balance in one spot you will have no trouble flying one of these....other than that its just a bit tricky.  LOL  I am gonna have fun with it....I am just chomping at the bit waiting on my new motor. 

Here is a link to a very good 3d model at a great price...but definitely not a beginners chopper ...very difficult to learn on.  Watch the stunt video in the middle of the page.   http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/catalog/esky-honey-bee-king-helicopter-p-53.html
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-31-2007 05:03
Is the large and small main rotor systen used to counteract rotational force to the airframe? is the tail rotor used for this too? From what My buddies told Me of the Sicorsky 58Ts & 61s they worked on and ocasionally got to fly, both hands and both feet were pretty busy, how do You controll the tail rotor pitch with the RC?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-31-2007 07:05 Edited 12-31-2007 07:21
Ok   dave there are four ways to counteract the rotor force: Manual , which is manually spinning up the tail rotor vs. rotor torque, mechanical, mech actuation to compensate for rotor torque, ccpm (collective cyclic pitch mixing) which is new and common on the electric helis...it is electronic compensation for rotor torque....the tail does not move in space until you tell it too..no matter what other inputs are made. the last is to have two counter rotating main rotors that way they cancel each other out in torque.  

Some RC helis are called two motor or dual motor; in theses the speed of the tail motor compensates for rotor torque.  The second kind (better in my opinion) is a variable pitch tail which is driven off the same motor that drives the main.  All serious nitro helis use this method either by belt or by shaft drive.  the tail rotor does its job by variable pitch instead of speeding up and down.

I just hooked up a playstation like controller to a simulator tonite for practice.  It is intimidating to say the least...to try to maintain all the controls simultaneously .  But it costs me nothing to crash the simulator...so its a great practice bed.   If you like I will pm  you links to a free sim and all you will need is a two joystick playstation like gamepad....this will get close to the real thing.

all your control inputs revolve around two joysticks   so   you have eight inputs  up-down-left-right x2   on american transmitters the left joy is throttle (up-down) tail (left right), [right stick] up-forward, down backward, left roll left, right roll right.     This same scenario works for planes as well.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-01-2008 05:24
Tommy, I could probably stand on a dry bowling ball if I could hold on to something with both hands. I don't have any joysticks, and if I got into something more to do with this &*#@%&++**^%$#$@ computer I would never get to bed, but thanks for the offer. Hope the simulator gives You enough experience that the chopper can survive the rest of the learning curve.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 01-01-2008 18:31
Ive got two helis and two planes.  YES it does get expensive. I have a great simulator but it is never like the real thing because you take chances in the simulator that you would not do in real life.   Ive had tons of fun with my toys and im sure you will too.  Sounds like youve had a great Christmas!    
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-03-2008 07:51
Dave I already crashed again trying to fly it in my living room....dumm dumm dumm  I should have waited for the wind to die down outside LOL!

Rander  I had a great Christmas as well as the family...we were blessed simple as that.  I really enjoyed having some time off let me tell you.  What kind of Helo's you got?  I am attempting a Walkera 22e....not the best to learn on so I am told.  I have tried one dual rotor type but I was dead set on the real thing...so here I am buying parts LOL!    I plan on moving into a honey bee king 2 if I can learn to control this beast.  But I might go straight into nitro if I find the right deal.  
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 01-03-2008 14:53
It is very optimistic to assume that one can learn to fly a complicated RC chopper alone.  The RC club in Jacksonville has certified flight instructors and many hours of one on one instruction are required.  At first, a computer simulator is used.  Then there are only video crashes.  Next, a tandom tether box is used so the flight instructor can take control with his RC transmitter if the student gets into trouble.  They also use several tether lines with people holding fishing poles sometimes.  They also use ballast on the skids to add weight that stabilizes.  There are simple cheap choppers that anyone can fly - a child could use them, but all they do is hover - no acrobatics.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / new hobby