Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / When would you use a Pancake hood?
- - By Mat (***) Date 01-04-2008 13:15
I'm sure they have their place, but I've never seen one in person.  I've been thinking about picking one up for sh*ts and giggles, but what were they designed to be used for and when did they come about?
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-04-2008 14:23
As far as the history goes, I'll leave that for someone else. As far as the usage I can add a little here. I see these used quite a bit. Very popular still among the pipeliners - where I have to believe they originated. Fairly light weight and good air flow due to it only has one side of your head covered (along with your face obviously). I don't believe they are made by any of the welding hood big boys, i.e. huntsman, jackson, speedglas...whether you can use one or not will depend on how the safety manual was put together by the company your working for, and who's inspecting. If the policy is to use safety glasses with side shields while welding - they're a no go. You can't fit these under the custom fit wood face mount. I'll allow them if the welder has a helper and the helper is doing all of the grinding. So it helps if the pancake also has an auto-darkening filter lens. The guys that have them usually carry a normal one as well. Restrictions will change from one company to the next. And they must be ANSI approved.
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 01-04-2008 15:26
They are OSHA approved and you would use them while welding pipe or on a pipeline  I wouldn't use them for general purpose or all positions.   Made by Sarge's Inc.  2010 3rd. N.E.     Ardmore, OK 73401     1-800-396-4065   I'm on a line right now doing tie'ins sittin in the truck on my laptop.   Dam I have a hard life.
Parent - - By downhill798 (*) Date 01-04-2008 15:43
justin sent you an email thanks
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 01-04-2008 16:07
I use one whenever I want to get a spark burn on my lip.
Parent - By Justin O (**) Date 01-04-2008 16:08
ha ha that's a fact.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 01-04-2008 17:32
did u get rid of the suitcase welder yet?
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 01-05-2008 01:33
Still got it give me your email address I just figured out how to email pictures.
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 01-05-2008 07:00
ebnance@sbcglobal.net
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-05-2008 02:04
Quite a few people wear glasses under pancake hoods. There is an optical supply company that makes glasses specifically to fit in a pancake.

Of course theres no need for safety glasses in a pancake as they protect your eyes better than safety glasses, they seal all around.

JTMcC.
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 01-04-2008 17:24
sarges or a wendys
Parent - - By jbeard (*) Date 01-05-2008 00:47
pancakes are  good for working in the sunlight,"keeps glair out of your sheild".you also have to whittle the eye piece to fit your own mug,also you need a california head peice to wear a pancake shield.
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 01-05-2008 07:00
what is a california head piece?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-05-2008 02:01
I use one anytime I strike an arc.

George Gilchrist built the first one right after  WWII when everything was in short supply including welding hoods, and he made them until he died right around 1998. You see them primarily on the pipeline but I use them for everything.

They seal out all light, dirt, wind and sparks, they're very light and comfortable, and they don't fall off when you're laying down welding the bottom.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 01-05-2008 03:50
best darn hood i have ever had.. the elastic head band sure beats a plasic head gear that will break in subzero weather.
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 01-06-2008 05:01
ive never used anything but a pancake, when i was little i thought thats wat all welders used , thats all my da ever used and the only thing my grandpa ever used that i saw but im sure he didnt have one back in the day, now that im a third gen pipeline welder its all i will use and im sure my baby boy will use one wen he gets of age, i use sarges i like them but thinking about ordering one from wendy i wanna try out a white one
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 01-08-2008 11:58 Edited 01-08-2008 12:07
Hey thanks for the info guys, It's interesting too see how different ideas came about.

Another thing I've always wondered is what the first ever welding hoods looked like.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / When would you use a Pancake hood?