Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What pistols are you guys using and why?
- - By Kix (****) Date 01-03-2008 16:38
I'm allmost ready to purchase a new Glock 22 .40cal, but I was wondering what some of the pro's say about this gun?  Does anyone know if the Glock 22 has a safety on it?
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-03-2008 17:18
Glock 21 here in .45 ACP...trigger safety.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-03-2008 17:42
I'm a newb in this area so bare with me.  Do they all come with a triger safety?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-03-2008 17:41
All of the Glock DAO models I have seen have only a trigger safety, although newer models may incorporate some sort of integrated locking device.  These are pretty new additions to production models; my Ruger P345 has one.  IMO, a DAO pistol doesn't need any more safety than the trigger device.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-03-2008 17:43
What does DAO stand for?
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-03-2008 18:30
Double Action Only
Parent - By QCCWI (***) Date 01-03-2008 20:05
I own a Glock 31 (.357 Sig). I have had it about 4 months and I love it.
The new Glock's are supposed to have 3 safetys (I think). One is the trigger safety. Another safety prevents the firing pin from engaging unless the trigger is pulled. Of the top of my head I do not remember the third one.

Soon as I can convince the wife I am going to get Crimson Trace for it.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 01-03-2008 22:11
Kix, I'm looking at a glock myself but currently shoot a .44 mag desert eagle it's a real crowd pleaser , a .357 mag GP100 Ruger, .22 buckmark plus and a .50 cal kentucky bounty just cause I like all that smoke and fire. Have only shot a couple of glocks but have never heard any thing bad about them most of the boys I know rave about them.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-04-2008 00:45
IMO Browning Hi-Power (Belgium of course) the finest auto pistol ever made!!! 7 safety features built in. Downside is they are extremely finicky when it comes to hollow points. Personal favorite in the armoury this year is the S/W .460 Mag. 5 shot revolver. Fondly refer to it as the "Hand Howitzer". Can't wait to drop an elk this fall!
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-04-2008 01:32 Edited 01-04-2008 01:37
You are correct QCCWI in that they do have three safety features. Well, I went to the range and rented a Glock 22 and a 23.  Out of all the pistols I have shot those were the ones I felt had the best feel and grip.  The 23 was a bit stocky and thick for me, but they both had about the same amount of recoil.  So I am going to go with the 22.  I'd like to get one of those laser grip sights, but i'm afraid it will make the grip to stocky like the 23.  I can't even imagine a 23 with a laser grip sight.
  Here are a few facts about the safety features of a Glock pistol that i found on this sight. http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/glockpistols.htm  As for the rumors of a lack of safety, they were based on the fact that Glock handguns were one of, if not the first, semi-automatic handguns designed with no external safety lever. However, there are more safeties on a Glock handgun than there are on any revolver. The Glock handguns all have three safety mechanisms: 1) the trigger safety, 2) the firing pin safety, and c) the drop safety. The only way a Glock handgun will fire is for the trigger to be pulled fully to the rear. The Glock is neither a technically true Single Action, nor a Double Action. Glock calls its action the "Safe Action", which is close to a Double Action. The rumors of a lack of safety also stem from the integration of polymer into the receivers. Up until the Glocks were introduced, Americans were used to all-metal handguns (maybe some wood or plastic grips, but the rest was metal). To integrate something like plastic into a handgun was tantamount to allowing Fisher Price to build your weaponry! However, the polymer used in Glocks is actually stronger and more durable than steel, does not rust, and is far lighter.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-04-2008 05:30
I havn't shot handguns in years, so My preference is rather dated. I shot a Browning Hi Power only once, I would have had a lot of "getting used too" with this one. I played with a Glock that had the "New York Trigger" which was new at the time, never got to fire it, but it felt good and pointed well. For acuracy, I don't know if I would EVER get used to a long trigger pull, but at least the NY trigger had a definate feel before the sear let go, so in theory You could re-align the sights. Amongst My requirement for a handgun when I was shooting was that it be legal for deer hunting in Pa. so that left out ALL autoloaders. I have a S & W 27-2 .357 with a 6" tube and a partrige front sight. At that time I was thinking about shooting NRA matches, which I never did. This is a really easy gun to hit with, but I wouldn't want to carry it daily.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-04-2008 05:38
For Auto's I stick to Glock. Models 17, 19, 20, and 21. Of them the 10mm model 20 is my favorite.

For revolvers I stick to Ruger. MK II, GP101, Blackhawk series, and Super Redhawk.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-04-2008 13:25
CWI555,
     Can I ask why the 10mm over the .40cal?  What perks in your opinion does the 10mm have over the .40cal?  I also started to eye down the 10mm, but I ended up buying the .40cal.  I can't pick it up till I receive my Wisconsin driver's license in the mail though.lol I didn't know all you needed was a Wisconsin driver's license to buy a gun here.  In Illinois you have to have a FOID card to even pick one up and look at it.  So I went to purchase the gun and they told me that they could not sell pistols to Illinois residents and my FOID card was no good except to buy a long gun. After trying to get a Wisconsin driver's license 4 times I now know why that's all you need.  After the second time of trying to get a license I said screw it "I'm keeping my Illinois license".  I finally had to break down and get one so I could get this gun and went the third time, but I forgot that I needed proof that I was born in the U.S. and left my passport at home. So I went home and came back a forth time. GEEEEZ what an ordeal that was.
     So the DMV said I would have my new license in 10 days and then I will be the proud owner of a new Glock 22.  Next item on the list is a Remington M40 tactical .308cal. ;-) I've got an 800yd range right down the road from where I live so I'm pretty fired up about that.  That's a pretty far piece and I'm looking forward to building up to be able to shoot that far some day.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-04-2008 15:22
i carry the Taurus PT-92 9 mm in the truck it's not to heavy and dead on 15 round clip and will shoot any type of round i have had others tell me they jam up alot but i have had no trubles i bought it off an ex deputy sherriff for 300.00 at the time i checked it in a book and said it was worth 500
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 01-04-2008 15:35
I carry a S&W 99 and love it I also have a ruger P89 and a mint Dan Wesson .357.
Parent - By norcalwelder (**) Date 01-04-2008 16:29
I use a Glock 22 .40 S&W. It's my dad's, but he doesn't mind me using it as long as buy the ammo. :)  Its a awesome pistol. I have been shooting the cheapest Walmart loads I can buy and its never jammed once.  My pistol is a .22 S&W 422. What can I say? the ammos is less then 3 cents a round.:)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-05-2008 03:57
Kix,

Some basic history on the glock 20 and the 10mm round. It started life in the 80's as the bren ten auto pistol. The original cartridge was a 200 grain .40 cal bullet just peaking 1,200 fps. Which if you do some comparisons, puts it in the a hair above .357 magnum energy, and the .41 magnum, and just below the .44 magnum.
Reason for the cartridge:
(original factory specs for given round)
357mag 158 gr bullet  1240ft/s muzzle velocity @  539 ft lb. muzzle energy; Typical capacity 6 for wheel gun, I believe up to 9 for desert eagle
.41mag 210 gr bullet 1125fp/s muzzle velocity @ 590 ft lb. muzzle energy; Typical capicity same as .357
10mm 200 gr bullet 1200ft/s muzzle velocity @ 639 ft lb. muzzle energy; Glock 10 capacity 15 rounds 10 for the politically correct mags
.44mag 240gr bullet 1180ft/s muzzle velocity @ 732 ft lb. muzzle energy typical capacity same as .357 except desert eagle is max 8 mag

Reason for the choice of pistol:
a.) it sits on the same frame as the .45 acp model 21 which I have as well.
b.) some other makes had cracking problems when firing a full strength load, the Glock model 20 does not have this problem.
c.) unlike certain federal types who's constant belly acking about excessive recoil axed it from the said agency and gave birth to the weaker .40 cal round, I find the recoil to be very light as compared to the original smith and weasle model 1007.
d.) again unlike certain federal types who complained about over penetration, I load the right bullet for the round, rather than trying to make the round match the bullet. Put the wrong bullet in it and it will in fact have over pen, but federal hydrashoks, winchester silver tips, and speer golddots work fantastic and do not exhibit the same problem as the standard run of the mill fmj or jhp.
e.) all other factors considered, I just like the firearm. It's a damned fine one in my opinion. I've dropped a deer with it, one shot kill.

As for the remington m40, Dunno what to tell you there other than there is no substitute for a custom built rifle. I built a .300winmag improved on a Sako 85 action. I would be more than happy to put that rifle up against any at Camp Perry, or any other "tactical" rifle in it's class.

Anyways, always remember, asking opinions about firearms to those who own them and believe in them is going to get about the same reaction as politics and religion questions.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-04-2008 18:27
I have read a number of articles about how the Glocks have been subjected to "torture tests" to see how well they hold up.  One part of a test was to throw one off a 4 story building to see if the primer would get dented (hopefully it was a primed case in the chamber and not a loaded round).  It was amazing to read what the Glock went through and still had no malfunctions.

I have handled and fired a 9mm Glock (17?).  To be honest, I didn't think it shot as well as the Ruger P89 I had at that time- (and I wasn't impressed with the P89 -too much like gripping a 2 x 4).  The Glock just didn't shoot as tight as I would have liked but there was nothing wrong with it otherwise.  Other folks I know love their Glocks.  I've a hankering to try one in 10mm but I haven't seen one yet.  (Being eccentric as I am, I like 10mm)

I have had several different Smith & Wesson autoloaders that really shot well and handled nicely.  They worked with everything but cast bullets.  Cast bullet were OK but would fail to feed every so often - but no big deal on that ' cause I didn't expect any better.

I recently shot two different S & W 1911 (45 ACP) that were factory condition that shot incredibly well.  One of them gave a Les Baer custom 45ACP a serious run for the money.  I'm really considering getting my own when I can finagle the finances - S & W that is, the Les Baer would be great but just a bit out of my range..

But if it came down to being allowed to have only 1 pistol, I'd choose a good 357 mag revolver - simply because they are reliable, accurate, very versatile to load for, and the caliber is very efficient.  I've shot 10s of 1000s in 357.  You can load wax bullets, snake shot, wadcutters, full-house magnums.....something for any occasion.

So it all boils down to what you like, and how well the gun works for you.  I'll bet that the Glock 22 is a lot of fun and reliable.
For me, that hasn't mattered much.  I always seem to end up trading off perfectly good firearms in order to get something different.  I've given up some good guns that way that I wish I could get back again, but c'est la vie!
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 01-04-2008 19:32
Ive olny gotten to fire 2 diffrent glocks and I have mixed feelings. the first one i got to shoot was a 17 out in las vegas and it felt like the thing was going to fall apart in my hands with every shot. Could have been a maintnence issue as the gun was at a shop where anyone could rent and fire it so it probibly got alot of use. My buddys dad has a glock 22(i believe... could be wrong) in a .40 cal that felt alot more solid and shot well, but it just wasnt comfortable in my hands. Im no were near being a pistol expert, just my 2 cents and the little experience I have.
On the subject of handguns, has anyone had any experience with a FN Five Seven?
Ive had the luck to see a few in person (behind a glass case though :( ) and I know that theres at least one in my area because ive found spent 5.7x28 casings at the range.
If New Yorks handgun laws wernt so redicilous id own several handguns, but at the moment I dont have the money to shell out for the permits.

Happy new years to all
-Clif
Parent - By arrowside (**) Date 01-04-2008 23:33
Remington 870.   :)
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-23-2008 02:56
Chet,

I personally subjected a glock to many of those same test. I still own it and shoot it as well.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-05-2008 02:34
kix , when i was younger , i quit using pistols when i learned to kill with my bare hands . shot colt 45 gave it to a friend before he passed away . used to have revolvers and pistols but most i gave away to make sure my boy would not get into them while i was out working . my brother bought a sw 44 revolver for a remote job he was doing , to use instead of shot guns for bears . we also had 2 , 44 carbines and 6 , 12 ga. shot guns scattered over 12 miles while we were out there . we could of got higher cal.guns but hard to find ammo close by , so stuck with 44 mag and 12 ga. had to kill a brown bear 2 yrs ago in our yard before he ripped up my truck , a black bear broke into my wifes car that morning tore it up , neighbor chased it off , before i got home she was inside after 2 big brown bears chased her inside , i just set down when we could hear noise out side steped out with carbine and 3rd brown bear was tearing off my bug deflecter on truck so had to shoot ,it was a bad bear day . we had 3 transplanted brown bears the year before that tore up most every thing in town , they all were shot that year . we adoped a small puppy last year he is fearless chases them off and protects us so may not need to shoot any more . good luck . willie    
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 01-22-2008 02:07
Glock 22 great pistol, never had a jam im near 2000 rounds.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-22-2008 02:25
Don't forget a "Black Rifle" for more intense situations!
Parent - - By welderdan (*) Date 01-22-2008 22:54
the glock 22 is awesome, I had a glock 27 and found it to be to unpleasant to shoot, and ya gotta love the black rifle I have a rock river car-4 and i love it
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-24-2008 09:37 Edited 01-24-2008 10:03
I do not hunt so I am not an avid gun collector or anything...but I do like to shoot, I believe in keeping what is mine and make those discussions short and too the point.  I have always wanted an HK Havelina (10mm hand cannon) but its a big gun and way out of budget for me.

Ruger p944   - simple, pretty accurate, reliable as heck, good stopping power without overkill, if you can't kill it or run them off with 10 rounds your having an exceptionally bad day and you probably needed an .308 with a 20 round clip or a good ole 870 anyway.  $485 + tax out the door with a case and two clips, not bad for a quality pistol in this size.  I am not fond of 9mm (just not enough oomph for me) but I wanted more then 6 shots and wanted something small and easy to carry...like a 9mm.  This fits the bill nicely.  I've probably only shot 150 rounds out of it but I have had no problems with it so far.  Very good personal protection in my humble opinion.  Have not got a CC permit yet but I hope to take the class and get one soon.

Here is a link to pistol that definitely is an attention getter...perfect for the truck in unfriendly neighborhood.

http://www.taurususa.com/video/taurus-theJudge-video.cfm

Could you imagine unloading some 5 shot out of that thing at four-five feet range?  Maybe one shot shell and one .45 alternating in each chamber?  neat gun.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-24-2008 10:34
I WANT ONE!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 01-24-2008 14:23
nice
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 01-24-2008 15:12
Wow, Damn New York!!!!!!!
thats it im moving to Vermont or Florida.... that pistol looks like way too much fun.

*side note* I got to hold one of the civilian FN P90's the other day and holy cow did it feel nice... fit right into the shoulder and arm like it was suposted to be there... if olny I had the $1800 to blow :(
Its not a pistol but I just thought id share anyways :)

-Clif
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 02-01-2008 17:08
so has anyone been following the rail gun. the navy announced some amazing info on the latest test.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4231461.html
Parent - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 02-01-2008 17:21
Ive heard of them and it looks like fun, if you can get the power supply for it.
I'd want one that could fit on a backpack, even at lesser power levels, because I doubt ill ever get my hands on a destroyer or have the need to reach out and touch something at 220 miles...

-Clif
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-01-2008 18:01
Yes, I saw that...it's amazing, but I'm holding off purchasing one until, I see better reveiws of how effective it is in squirrel or rabbit hunting...
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-01-2008 19:32
Now you see it (squirrel), now you don't.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-01-2008 21:26
Interesting. I imagine the poor squirrel John refers to would be SOL. I'd sure hate to buy the electricity needed for the reload though.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / What pistols are you guys using and why?