Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding of structure steel
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 01-02-2008 16:40
  I want to weld structure steel ( steel 37)  - which equivalent to Astm A 283 -  that was a support of rain drain welded to tank floating roof ,with smaw method the joint was fillet weld - lap joint, the thickness was about 1 cm for every part ,   I suggest to use 60xx electrodes family  ( 6010  or 6013 ) for that , i want to know is right or not and if not wt is the suitable electrode.
Parent - - By three tracks (*) Date 01-03-2008 03:04
i would use lh or jet, yes the other is quicker but not as strong. dont know if there is a right or wrong
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-03-2008 05:20
Interesting response; please clarify!
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 01-04-2008 16:56
It appears that you must be working in a facility that has tanks of some sort. (designed to some standard)
I would also ass-u-me (I hate that word) that those tanks were built to a specification / Code and that construction, was in compliance with those Codes &
performed welding to a Qualified Welding Procedure (using Qualified Welders). Qualified welding Procedures (WPS's) dictate the type of filler metal in relation to
base-metal compatability etc.

Look for the history/information on the Tank, research the construction/fabrication method and the Procedure used.
I doubt that you have a Welding Procedure for just E6010 w/out E7018 cover, ( but you may ). I seriously doubt that E6013 is addressed in your
Welding Procedure. (but it could be)

Either way, Don't guess, match the original design or latest edition of that same standard..

Good Luck

There is no shortcut, to anyplace WORTH going!
Tom
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding of structure steel