Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SWPS "not qualified for notch toughness applications"
- - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 01-04-2008 15:26
Standard Welding Procedure Specifications available through AWS state under limitations, "this procedure is not qualified for notch toughness applications".

Question 1)  How would a typical SWPS like B2.1-1-209-96 (GTAW ER70S-2 Root followed by SMAW E7018) differ from a WPS that did address being qualified for notch toughness applications?

Question 2)  For normal fluid piping under B31.3, is the above mentioned SWPS acceptable to use after it has been properly demonstrated?
Parent - - By toddler (**) Date 01-05-2008 12:49
Are you referring to ASME SWPS or AWS pre-qualified joints?
Parent - - By FloridaSnook (**) Date 01-07-2008 20:15
Any of the joint configurations listed in the AWS SWPS.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-08-2008 00:48
Floridasnook;  This is question of notch toughness testing is something I've asked some B2 Committee members myself. 

To the best of my knowledge, none of the SWPS are qualified by notch toughness tests so, my question was "could an SWPS be used to perform a coupon, and then simply do the notch tests?"  - I havent received an asnwer as of yet.  If we were following ASME IX Rules, the answer would be yes.

Second question, there would be likely little, or no different between a WPS with or without notch toughness testing with the exception of it being supported by the notch toughness testing.

In my opinion, an SWPS would be valid for use with B31.3 normal fluid service temperature after it has been properly demonstrated.  It's certain valid for use within the B&PV constructing codes.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SWPS "not qualified for notch toughness applications"