Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D17.1 section II CWI versus welder
- - By Stringer (***) Date 01-04-2008 04:11
I've got a client who needs some non-flight D17.1 section II work as per his contract through Manufacturers.com. I can do the work, i.e. I can heliarc just fine. However, I'm anticipating scores from AWS regarding my CWI exam, and do not currently hold D17.1 cert. As I understand it, my course of action should include purchase of D17.1 code, qualification of procedure by another CWI and qualification of the welder (me) to the procedure by another CWI.
I really want to do this right, so I'd be beholden to the board for any input.
Stringer
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-04-2008 15:00
You can write your own WPSs if you are comfortable that you can. You would be wise to have someone witness the welding of the test samples to record the welding parameters such as arc voltage, amperage, travel speed etc., unless you have a third eye that can watch the welding machine while you are welding. Based on some of the PQRs I've reviewed, there are welders that have this unique ability, i.e., weld while monitoring their welding parameters.:)

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-05-2008 03:15
Thanks for the reply, Al. In all the reading I've done, I somehow didn't recall the authority of a CWI to write his own WPS even though most are welders or ex-welders. I guess I assumed there must be some ethical/bureaucratic disconnect. I'll make sure it's all above board with witnesses as you suggest. I forgot to mention in my post that my client is an A&P and therefore has some broad latitude in these matters anyway, but I'm just wanting to dot i's and cross t's. I'm not trying to inflate his costs, but he understands my new-found religion and accepts that rules and regulations are coming to a theatre near us, so we may as well do this correctly. I appreciate your time and knowledge.
Stringer
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-05-2008 15:39
AWS B5.1 outlines the expected capabilities of the associate welding inspector, welding inspector, and the senior welding inspector. It is expected that the senior welding inspector can and should be capable of writing welding procedures. That doesn't say the welding inspector can't write a WPS.

The is no document that I am aware of that states what qualifications are required to write WPSs. There are people in industry that write WPSs and have never taken the AWS CWI examination and still they function very nicely in that capacity. That being said, the training (or studying) one does in preparation for the CWI examination provides a fundamental understanding of what a WPS is and what it should consist of. Most codes and standards that involve welding include a sample form that provides some limited guidance about the (minimum) information the WPS and PQR should contain.

Still, there are enough subtleties in every code that a thorough understanding of their requirements are necessary to write a "good" WPS that is of any use to the welder. Many people that attempt to develop welding documentation haven't mastered the code to the point where all the requirements are met. Even the person tasked with reviewing the WPS has to have a good understanding of what is required and what is "good information" to include in the document. Everyone has their own idea of what should be included in the WPS and PQR. 

I suggest that you obtain a copy of AWS B2.1 and review the list of essential variables and then, with your welding experience in mind, include those things that you feel are necessary for the welder to understand what is expected of him. For instance, it is not required to record some of the electrical parameters such as voltage and amperage when welding up the test coupon, but you and I both know that it is important information for the welder to have when setting up for a new job that he or she may be unfamiliar with. The bottom line is, even if it isn't required information, it is useful information when it is time to write the WPS, so by all means, record it on the PQR.  The WPS should be complete enough that a welder can set up the equipment and the material to weld it and meet the requirements of the welding/fabrication standard.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By David Lee (*) Date 01-05-2008 22:00
Al is correct.
The manufactuer has the responsibility to write/test PQR's.
I would suggest looking over some of the form's AWS has to offer for a prequalified procedure and fine tune it.
If you have a welding engineer handy, He can walk you through alot of it. If not pay attention to all the varible's as previously mentioned.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-06-2008 01:07
Thanks, guys, for the great information. I just re-checked the CWI certification quick check and see that my name has been posted today so I believe I have passed my exams and am now an AWS Certified Welding Inspector. With that in hand and the tips available on this board, I feel like I can better serve my client. Onward and upward.
Stringer
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-06-2008 07:18
stringer , congrats. keep us posted on how you do . also where are you located , just wondering ? good luck . willie
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-06-2008 17:14
congrats, keep up the good work

Regards,
Gerald
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D17.1 section II CWI versus welder