Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BIG MONEY Fort McMurray?????
- - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-17-2007 13:02
I've been hearing tales of big money like the days of the gold rush. However I've heard no first hand expierence about this place. I'm wanting to take a couple of years and make some real money and then settle down. I just wondered if this was the place to go for that reason. Any knowledge on actual wages,cost of living, and some real contact info would be greatly appreicated.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-17-2007 15:49
Jesco pressure and Downhandonly have both done some tours through there they would be the guy's to ask. I have heard that the cost of living is really high $2700.00 a month for a one bed apartment but I'm sure it is all relavent to what you make while there , get in-get out is the way to go and a camp job would be the ticket. From Alberta originally myself but have not been up there for work in 20 years so it is all hear say on my part just repeating what I have heard. Cold though this time of year brrr,but when your working hair straight back you don't really notice it that much, If you have never been there it would be worth the trip just to see the country.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 12-17-2007 15:57
I can also vouch for the work and money up there.  We manufacture mining equipment and our service guys are up there now.  Some companies have camps providing "three hots and a cot" basically...since lodging is at such a premium.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-17-2007 16:10
im in one as we speak
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 12-17-2007 16:14
Nice...So what is the weather like?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-17-2007 16:19
weather sucks, but you can cover up in all the green.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-17-2007 16:21
pretty mild right now. done today and going home but last week let me tellyou BRRRR.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-18-2007 00:42
Well Jesco maybe you could be of some assistance since you're on the inside so to speak. I would owe you greatly and if I came would repay the debt.companies and contacts are what I need, but most importantly just how good is the money (I hate to pry but it is important) you dont have to be percise but logical if you would. If going I'm going hopefully as a CWI inspector if not a welder. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 12-18-2007 00:40
depends on who you work for what you do and all that kinda stuff roughly 85-125 an hour full supply and camp or like last winter I stayed in a hotel in town and was getting 150 a day for sub. If you like to freeze your ass off and get no sleep cause your wondering if your rigs gonna get jacked then thats the place to be. I'd rather be in a camp in the middle of the bush far far FAR away from there.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-18-2007 00:44
I not running rigs am I looking at the wrong place to be????
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 12-18-2007 01:15
are you looking to contract inspect or as an employee? Iris NDT, BWI, Canspec, etc. all pay well but I'm not sure of the exact numbers. you should check the yellow pages on the net for Ft. McMurray under inspection services or something along that line and make few calls.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-18-2007 02:01
just looking for the most bang for the buck if i'm selling myself. got to keep the family right.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-18-2007 14:16
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but working in Canada for a US citizen is rather difficult. It is not like you show up at Ft Mac and start working. I was looking at an inspection job up there and the company I was talking to told me it would take 2-3 months before the paperwork would go through the providence process and then they could offer me a job. The $$$ was good, but after looking at it, they want/need young guys up there who can tolerate the cold and BS. Get your sock full and be gone. 1973 Alaska.
Those who want to go and do, it will be something you can tell stories about years from now, but I hear some horror stories. Believe it or not, there are contractors up there who will screw welders just like in the lower 48. And you are in their country a LONG way from home.
Just m 0.02$
BABRT's 
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-18-2007 16:31
no your right it is a process to get your visa in place and you arealso right that there is quite a bit of climbing in the racks to inspect but most of the contractors on oilsands site are pretty legitimate just to get contracts i've never had a problem getting paid unlike when imworking for some smaller outfits in conventional oil
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-19-2007 01:52
It's like anything else, money talks BS walks. They will take a canadian citizen over a US citizen, but they simply don't have the manpower and expertise in canada to do the job alone. A lot of them would like to hire in india's as well, but they are all in the middle east (at least the ones who know what they are doing somewhat) or in China.
There is a world wide shortage of qualified hands, with the oil sands, and other areas, the jungle of Southern south america, areas in africa, and many others on the brink of breaking loose with oil and gas production, there are just simply not enough hands to go around.

The only reason for someone to be out of work in this day in time who can perform any of the required task in oil in gas is if you simply don't want to work, or a career criminal/drug user.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-19-2007 02:37
Lots of companies that are short handed are bringing in US and other citizens because the jobs can't be filled. A friend of mine just got a two year work visa it did not take that long if you have the patence to go through all the paper work. A little homework before you start is all it takes and at least one willing employer. Once you have the visa you can work for whoever you like just make sure you have a job when it comes time to renew. From what he was telling me you just need to display the right attitude and it was not to painful, The first time he tried he was bucking the system and as you can imagine it was not that easy. I have found exactly the same thing going the other way, one top stamp on a custom slip can ruin your whole day.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-18-2007 15:11
Clearwater fabricating   these are union contractors in ft mac.                     Flint          These are clac          
Kellog Brown and root                                                                           Ledcor
Jacobs
Bantrel
lockerbie and hole
Waiward fabricators
babcock and wilcox
PCL
Aecon industrial
BFI
Car-ber testing
Transfield services
reppsco

There are a ton of other smaller companies to. It doesnt have to be ft. mac , I personnally have found better money in other places in northern alberta. As far as wages for QC and inspection thats a little out of my scope but you might be able to find some info on their websites. Also the living is very high in ft mac and traffic is crazy with so much construction on one highway. Camp would be better for a guy new to the area for his first gig as it would be one less thing to deal with when getting acquanted with the area also try  the hrdc canada job bank and see what you come up with. I know there is a big shortage on QC to just like the trades you might even find a company that will help you with your work visa

hope this helps you merry christmas
Jesse
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-18-2007 15:31
Jesse thanks for the info I'll start looking right away. You have a merry christmas as well.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-18-2007 22:38
Jesse after talking with some friends I had a few more questions if you dont mind. How are the taxes for non canadian workers, what is the typical contract length and what is the average work week? Being the materialistic weasel I am when ( just kidding ) when your paid 85-125 per hr (so I hear) do you 1.5 for OT like in the states.
Parent - By hurricunning (*) Date 12-18-2007 23:48
Jumping in a bit on this thread...

The typical work contract lasts as long as they tell you to keep coming back!  There normally is no work term contract per say.  You just keep showing up until the spread tells you to wrap up and go home.  Usually 10 to 12 hour days, every day until the job is done.  There is a bit of a mandate now to give a guy a break (I think by Occupational Health or WCB) every three weeks or so now and that may be enforced depending on who the contractor is.  I like to take as many days straight as possible.  That $85-$125 ballpark figure is sub-contractor rate.  If you can weasel some kind of overtime pay all the more power to ya - definitely not the norm though.  Lots of guys manage to get jump hours added as incentive. What and how you pay yourself through your company is up to you.  You are on your own for overtime, taxes, Unemployment premiums, Workman's Comp, insurance, Extended Medical and Dental etc...  Keep in mind this is for non-union Subcontract Welding.  Union Pipefitter/Boilermaker type jobs are an entirely different affair.  I am sure it works very similarly Stateside on non-union jobs no?
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-20-2007 12:04
i cant help you with any of those except the last one which is generally no. This is a contractors rate and is fixed no matter when in the week or how many hours. Next time im up there i will talk to one of the qc's and ask them for some info ,  when we say contract that means contractor as you do it through your own company as opposed to being an employee. guys up here go anywhere from 5-8s all the way up to 7-12s

sorry i couldnt be of more help
Jesse
Parent - - By kuhndog Date 01-05-2008 18:51
hi, just wondering if you've heard of anything recently in AB - i'm a rig welder with AB Journeyman & B-Pressure, if you know of anyone hiring, I would appreciate the assistance. Is there a slow down for welders right now? Also, do you know anything about the CNRL job, I have seen about 10 different companies hiring for this one job!! thanks!
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 01-05-2008 23:56
CNRL job was behind schedule last I heard and there are a # of co. looking for people, especially competent welders and inspectors...

Two of the fabricators I know of on site are Atcon Group and Penney Group. 
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 01-06-2008 03:30
my buddy is workin for gec installations with his rig 85 an hour but i think they are lookin for guys by hand more than anything. Comfact called me for cnrl but im out with my rig and they wanted me by hand, maybe try them or even try the local 488 pipefitters hall, they are at almost 40 an hour now with the new raise and you get double time on the weekends
Parent - By kuhndog Date 01-07-2008 01:20
thanks for the info guys.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-18-2007 14:56
contract inspect or employee would be me
Parent - - By turningnburning Date 12-18-2007 04:50
You can make money in Fort Crack as long as you keep your nose clean !! I had a guy running one of my rigs up there for awhile , within 3 months he was cracked out and i was lucky to get my rig back at all. There is definately money to be made there if you stay clean.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-19-2007 01:45
fort crack is it? lol That advice holds true no matter where your at in the world. I've been a lot of places, and the guys who prefer to blow it up their nose, or burn it in a pipe, can be found anywhere in the world. Make money, bank end go away happy. Party it up, drink, dope, women; go away broke at best, or end up in jail/dead or dieing.
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 12-20-2007 23:22
It's very hard for Americans to work in Canada.  The tax issue is also very confusing and the Canadians don't help you one bit with it.  The cost of living over there is out of this world. If you smoke cigs or want a case of beer, you'll be in for a real surpise.  They tax everything at confiscatory rates.  Everything from your hotel room to your lunch.  Ive never seen anything like it in my life.  I know nobody wants to hear this but it needs to be said.  The Canadians have open hostility to our government and our responce after the 9-11 attacks.  You'll be confronted with this every single time you open your mouth.  Not trying to cause trouble but it's true.  I know because I just got back from a job in Ontario. 
Parent - - By hurricunning (*) Date 12-21-2007 00:27 Edited 02-09-2008 04:37
Ok so maybe it should be said that it is difficult cross the border to work in either country.  I do know it is possible for qualified American tradesmen to work in Canada after playing the appropriate paper game and I also know that it was (worked in Oregon a few years back) very difficult for a Canuck to work Stateside without a company sponsored L1B or similar Work Visa.   Maybe you can help us all with the cross-border taxation question?  Hostility towards your government - maybe that is just an Ontario issue.  They are bent a little differently than the rest of us with Toronto being the centre of the universe and all, heh.  I have had several American colleagues apologize in jest to me for the US election of Mr. Bush though ;)
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 12-21-2007 00:57
It's much easier for Canadians to work in the USA than it is for Americans to work in Canada.  I know this for a fact because I've seen and spoken to the people who handle this issue on the USA side of the border. 

I can't say I'd ever work in Canada again after the experience I just had.  I've never experienced such open hostility towards the USA anywhere in the world other than the Middle East.  I know that's harsh but it's true.  The taxes and cost of living in Canada will eat up any $$$ signs you may have seen when first arriving.  The taxes are extreme and like nothing you've ever experienced in any city or state in the USA. My tax CPA, who didn't want to touch it, told me it is very difficult to get a refund from Canada as a citizen of the USA.  The paperwork is staggering.  If you knew the paperwork I had to fill out just to get over the border with a work visa!  This was with a company sponsor.  After all is said and done, it's not really worth it for an American to work in Canada. I could have made more oney by staying home without the hassle.  At least that's my experience and that was two week ago.
Parent - - By JescoPressure (**) Date 12-21-2007 02:22
Ontario is really cheap on welder rates they are much better in Alberta . Check hrdc canada job bank and compare rates between alberta jobs and ontario. Even i dont know how someone could make a living there with their wages so low and cost of living so high. I havent met many people with a problem with americans up here just alot that dont like bush. Trust me its a different ball game out west moneywise
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-22-2007 00:05 Edited 12-22-2007 00:09
In the next year the East Coast of canada (newfoundland) will be booming, i hope that if we need fitters and welders we can get some of our American friends to come this way. I have worked with the American brothers in both  Saint John, N.B. and Sarnia, Ontario and i have found them to be excellent brothers to work with through the United Association.   I hope the same don't happen here in NFLD regarding the hiring of trades people from other parts of the world, who don't have a clue about fitting or welding.  Our brothers from the east coast of canada have not been treated as well as overseas people who were brought to alberta to work, so don't feel bad Americans that you are having difficulty in getting work in Alberta.  Hopfully this work will be done by all Union workers, so apply for your work VISA, if you plan on coming this way.  At least you won't have to pay $500,000.00 + for a house like in alberta.

A Move Forward For Proposed Refinery
December 21, 2007

A big step today in the construction of a proposed refinery for Southern Head in Placentia Bay. The Newfoundland and Labrador Refining Employers Association has signed a collective agreement with the construction unions which will help build the facility. That agreement reflects the need to attract tradespeople to the area who are now working elsewhere. The next step from the labour relations aspect is to have government declare the refinery as a "special project." Newfoundland and Labrador Refining Corporation expects to start work on the 300,000 barrel per day refinery in 2008. The president of the Carpenters' Union, Gus Doyle, says the specifics will be revealed in the new year when the agreement is signed, but the wages offered will bring Newfoundlanders and Labradorians back home. He says over 80 per cent of his membership were in favour of the agreement. Doyle says the wages will be competitive with Alberta. Doyle says the advantage of having people working in Alberta is that they have been involved in big projects. He says they don't have to develop new skills. Doyle says the workers have received upgrading over the past year in anticipation of this project.
http://www.nlrefining.com/
Parent - - By Sean (**) Date 12-23-2007 01:37
5354 is not exagerating... he also forgot that on top of the refinery there is also going to be a nickel smelter, two offshore projects and a couple of mine expansions.  I haven't even gotten to the other projects in two of the other adjacent provinces.  Welder's rates have gone up at least $2 - 4 /h here and there is a shortage of qualified folks in the metal fab industry. 

As for the high taxes... it sucks for everyone, but at least most health care services are covered by the government.

5354 where are you from?

Sean
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-23-2007 05:41
Hi Sean, I'm from Mount Pearl, NFLD. Yes, you are right there will be a lot of work here, including the  Lower Churchill Mega Project.
I'm a member of UA Local 740.  We will get a $5.00 increase upfront and $1.00 in may and increases for the next 5 years.
We will be building a new training centre in 2008 to keep up with the future training.
So the future looks good for the newfies>finally, thanks to our Premier who is willing to stand
up to the oil company's and Federal government.
dan
So SEAN, where are u from?
Parent - By darren (***) Date 12-23-2007 09:16
good for the rock. after so many years of hard times it makes me happy way on the other side of our great nation to know that there might be a happy smile on the face of the wives and children of our newfie brothers(and sisters) when you can bring home enough money to maybe buy a little something instaed of just getting by. newfoundland and labrador have had a tough go since the cod went away (maybe all the way back to joining the dominion but i am not that politically savvy) and all their sons had to move somewhere else to make enough to get by. what would a house cost on average out in the eastern coast and what would be the wage range you are expecting.
darren
p.s. Saskatchewan is going crazy pretty good time to invest in real estate there
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 12-24-2007 00:29
I'm living in NS, but have family in Clarenville area and I do work in Lab City.

Hopefully, the folks in charge of your training centre take time to include some of the new technologies in their training centre (eg Arc Link, STT, orbital gear, etc.).  I have many friends that are hoping the bright light in the tunnel is the way out and not a train.

S
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-22-2007 01:51 Edited 12-22-2007 15:39
Hey, Commonarc.  Well you just weren't working with the right people, I guess.  Lots of Americans on the job I'm working right now.  We all get along just fine.  I know this 'cause I've teased a few and nobody seemed to take offence.  I think maybe you should put the 9-11 thing behind you where it belongs.  Be as political as you want but don't bring all that stuff to work with you.  Let's get along - at least on the job....eh!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-22-2007 06:30 Edited 12-22-2007 07:05
well said.

I'm not going to get into this neighbor biting contest but will only say this; having worked and lived in a variety of places all over the world our neighbors to the north are neither better not worse than many other places I've been.  I'm a smoker; try going to New Zealand, where I plan on retiring in just a few years... smokes?  $13 - $14 a PACK.  Cost me $146 to fill the gas tank and buy a carton of smokes.  If I didn't want to be there I would go there.

Updated: By the way, I'm now working in Kazakhstan (talk about cold) and where I'm staying (nice hotel) I pay $30 for a Hamburger!!!!  $5.00 for a small bottle of water and $35 for breakfast.  Life's tough all over guy's.  If ya don't like what's out there, stay home.

Let's leave the neighbor biting offline, please.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-06-2008 00:31
Kazakhstan, talk about building character good on ya, how do you find the people to get along with I'm sure their not all extremists. Have had a urge to try and get there myself. best to you in the new year.
Parent - - By Hoeky (*) Date 02-07-2008 18:45
working in mcmurray right now.  50 below.  allison tranny in my one tonne geled up and kicked a seal out,  three weeks to get it into the shop for waranty.  got to  rent a vehicle in the meantime, in order to keep working.  you win some you lose some.  but why did i by a new truck,    Oh yeah ,,,  reliablity..   well its only got 45K on it.  so it just goes to show, when your chasing dough in the snow, anything can go!
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 02-08-2008 02:05
in that kinda cold a lot of guys have block heaters, battery warmers, and tranny warmers. 
Parent - - By Hoeky (*) Date 02-08-2008 02:17
dude, we got all that man. when its frozen cock stiff,  its frozen cock stiff
Parent - - By Hoeky (*) Date 02-08-2008 02:20
and then when the guy next to you goes to reel up his cable at the end of the day and the insulating plastic just shatters around the wire and all thats left is copper wire.  you look at yourself and say.   " must be nucking futz!
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 02-08-2008 10:37
man!  when the insulation comes off the only good thing that can come out of that is selling it all for scrap so you can at least get some money out of it!
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 02-10-2008 03:25
Brrrrrrr. Last time I saw 50 below had to chop a hole through 5ft of ice and go swimming. nothing but fun ya could feel the hair sprouting. Nothing like cold weather to build character.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BIG MONEY Fort McMurray?????