Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I NEED WORK !!!
- - By Trep71 Date 12-31-2007 16:20
I have 19 years of welding and fabrication experience. I can mig, tig, stick, fluxcore, and spoolgun. I can fabricate and weld all metals. That is shop and field. All shop and field tools and equiptment.

I just got out of prison not even a month ago and I'm haveing a hard time finding a job. I did two years for a bar fight and this seems to be putting a damper on things for me. I can't get a port pass any longer because of the felony charge. I understand that work is a little slow right now but it has been a month since my release and I'm still not working.

I'm willing to travel and/or relocate. If there is any one out there that can give a helping hand or just some good solid advice, please do so.

Thank you for your time
Mike

Michael Pert
306 W. Frierson Ave.
Tampa, Fl. 33603

813 231-3093
pert.usa71@yahoo.com
Parent - By JA (**) Date 12-31-2007 18:12
Ironworkers Union....... local 808 Orlando FL............local 402 Tampa FL.........
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 12-31-2007 23:26
Don't give up you will fine something were do you live.
Parent - By Trep71 Date 01-06-2008 21:54
Thank you for your kind words, I live near Hillsborough Ave. and Florida Ave.
Parent - - By welderdude (**) Date 01-01-2008 00:50
Construct Corps is hiring for a big job in Lutz.  It's gonna be one of the biggest malls in Florida, but I'm not really sure why they need so many welders.  It's gonna be about a 2 yr project, but I also don't know if they're gonna need welders for the whole 2 yrs.  They're gonna pay $20/hr for structural welders and they say they're not working any less than 50 hrs a week.  I hear they're gonna be testing welders starting on Jan 21.

Harper Mechanical has a few jobs around (USF and Trinity Hospital in New Port Richey), but I'm not sure if they're hiring. 

TIC has a couple powerplant jobs around.  Gandy powerplant is new construction and Big Bend is a shutdown going until March I think. 

I hear a lot of jobs are gonna be breaking loose here in January.  I'm not sure what kinda jobs you can get into with a felony though. 

I'm here in Tampa also.  If I hear of anything I'll let you know.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 01-01-2008 01:25
I tell you what, you can get a job. They don't discriminate in Texas, or they wouldn't get anybody. I worked on a job in '99 in Corpus Christi, I heard a lot of talk about checking in with probation and parole officers. We had one helper got busted carrying 600 pounds of weed over the border, he did 6 years in the pen and went right to work for Zachry after he got out...the work is out there, but they don't usually hire till after the holidays.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-01-2008 03:08
Call Tampa Tank. If you do not have the parole meetings, can travel and have transportation, they have work going on. Also American Tank & Vessel will hire you. BUt you better keep your nose clean and none of that jail house crap. And you better be able to weld as they will test you. It is hard work, but they may give you a chance. If you were in my world, I would give you a test. I have 3 CF working for me and they are all jame up hands. BUt I have 0 tolerance for that garbage some people bring out of stir. Be up front with them and you may be suprised how receptive the heavy plate fabricators are.
Most of us have past issues SOMEBODY overlooked and gave us a chance.. You will find someone, just STAY CLEAN!
BABRT's 
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 01-03-2008 16:48
BE&K has some work in Fla check out their web site. North and south carolina are pretty bsuy right now. Got a buddy in charlotte making $30 per hr and $110 a day and they need people. I could hook you up if youd like??
Parent - By GonzoWeld (*) Date 01-03-2008 17:18 Edited 01-03-2008 19:15
BE&K also has a structural job going on starting the beginning of this year in Macon ,Ga !! They are in need for structural welders BAD!! I believe its $22-23Hr. Plus $60 per diem! Good luck hope this helps!! 2-3Year job
Parent - By Trep71 Date 01-06-2008 21:56
I'd like that very much, thank you !!!
Parent - By mgrisham (*) Date 01-07-2008 02:38
Hook a brother up. Where do I sign?!!!! 
Parent - By mgrisham (*) Date 01-07-2008 02:42 Edited 01-07-2008 02:44
Hey, how can I get a hold of this BE&K? I've tried every search I can think of and can't seem to find 'em.  HELP!!!

My name is Matt and my email is ateupoutdoors@yahoo.com

Thanks
Parent - - By Trep71 Date 01-06-2008 22:01
Thank you for keeping an eye out for me . It is much apreciated !!  Where are you working?
Parent - By welderdude (**) Date 01-07-2008 01:34
I'm gonna start at Tampa Pipe & Welding tomorrow.  I tried to get a friend hired, but they can't take anybody with a felony because most of their work is in the port. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I NEED WORK !!!