Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS/PQR within subsidiaries
- - By hung7601 (*) Date 01-10-2008 01:59
Hi All
Could you please site any para. in the D1.1 saying that the WPS/PQR can be used within subsidiaries of a company? I am working for a subsidiary and using the WPS/PQR qualified by our main office (oversea).
I concern about the WPS/PQR that not directly qualified by our subsidiary, Can we apply them on the our job? are they acceptable to D1.1?

Kind regards
Alex
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-10-2008 03:43
Refer to paragraph 4.1.1.1 (AWS D1.1-2006).

Paraphrasing what it says, it simply says that each manufacturer has to qualify their procedures, not that each facility owned by a manufacturer has to qualify their procedures. That is assuming your welding procedures do not meet the requirements of "prequalified" and testing is required.

Hope this helps.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-10-2008 16:11
What about sub contractors per D1.1(2006)?  If they are to start welding parts for us can they use our WPS's and PQR's?  By the way I read it they do have to come up with their own documentation.  Am I correct?
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 01-10-2008 16:19
I agree with Kix,
I would think that if the welding procedure was not deemed pre-qualified, I would want my vendor (sub-contractor) to verify that they can qualify their welding procedure using their welding personnel, their equipment, their base metals, and their filler metals by doing a procedure qualification.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-10-2008 16:22
Para. 4.1.1.1 actually says manufacturer or Contractor. So yes, subs gotta do their own docs.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-11-2008 02:21
In general, I believe it is generally accepted that if the workers are under your direct control with regards to scheduling work, directing their work, power to terminate them, etc, they would be considered as employees. If you do not schedule their work, do not direct them how to do the work, and can not terminate them, they would be contractors and responsible to qualify their own procedures and welders.

This gets some contractors into trouble with the IRS and state agencies when they classify people under their direct control "contractors" so the contractor doesn't have to pay worker's comp, federal withholding, and social security taxes. I guess you could use similar guidelines as to whether the individuals are employees working under you banner and using your WPSs or subcontractors responsible for their own documentation.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS/PQR within subsidiaries