Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Welding
- - By okwelder82 (***) Date 01-09-2008 02:20
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to break into rig welding. I have been welding in shops for the past 5 years and im tired of it. I've wanted to have my own Rig ever since I started welding and now I've almost got it ready. Its not pretty but I think it will do for now. I know how to weld pipe but i've never done any pipeline welding.  Is the best way to start just to get out there and take a few tests and get a feel for it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 01-09-2008 11:44 Edited 01-09-2008 11:52
Work the grind as a helper, that is, work with someone that's been field welding for awhile, and go from there, or join a union and make some contacts.  :)
Parent - By F350Welder (*) Date 01-11-2008 01:55
Personally I started driving my rig around to construction sites (bridges, condo sites, highway expansions, whatever) anywhere you see a crane, look for other Rig welders then pull in ready to work and give the job boss your card.  Foundations (pyle driving, shoring, caissons) is an excellent field to get into.  It's hard dirty work, but it pays good.  I wish I had gotten into it years ago.  Whats better than getting your truck all muddy, working outside and playing with heavy equipment all day?!  Look into the Labourers union.  L.I.U.N.A
Parent - By JescoPressure (**) Date 01-11-2008 02:03
remember if you want to break out into pipe welding with a rig you will probably need pipe stands , bevellers, flange pins , chain grips , and a few levels too, plus a chain vise is always handy on top of your normal tools when you rig up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig Welding