Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Becoming a QC
- - By rusty417 Date 01-07-2008 19:40
I whent to MWI to learn to weld, I graduated in Oct.06

I was wondering if I should keep my feet wet seein how im still kinda green to industry.
Or am I experienced enough to learn in becoming a QC. And Where Can I Learn? I live in Southwest Missouri.
Been Welding Approx. 3-4 years
Parent - By crazycajun (**) Date 01-07-2008 20:05
well welding is not the only part of being a QC you have to know how to read blueprints and all the other tricks that come with being a fitter. after you check all the measurements then you get to the welding part of it.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 01-08-2008 17:59
Opportunity has a lot to do with where you are (I see SW Missouri) and what field you want to work in.  If you're looking to be a general QC inspector, the requirements vary between the different industries.  For example, if your company fabricates aircraft parts, you'll have to be familiar with not only your company's specifications, but those of your customers as well.  As previously stated, blueprint interpretation is a key skill.  Not just being able to read dimensions, but also follow notes, cross reference and research specifications, and sometimes determine the engineer's intent.  Other skills you may need include computer use, ability to accurately read various measuring tools, record and analyze statistics, interpret various code and specifications, and you have to be a little bit cold so that you can tell the welder that his work won't cut it, or tell the boss that the shop lost control of something that cost him a lot of money.  About the best advice that I can give you is don't take a QA job where you work for the production boss.  All you'll end up doing is compromising your own integrity.  As far as experience goes, there's 2 ways of looking at it.  The longer you spend on the floor as a welder the more likely you are to think of QA as a nuisance.  By the same token, the longer you spend trying to get your work bought off, the better you'll know what to look for when you have that stamp in your pocket.  Good luck, hope that helped a little.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-08-2008 20:23
Rusty

Good advice above.

Also look to your AWS section locally. They will have lots of folks to offer advice. Most likely all the major players in your region who have welding related QC personnel will be involved in the section...  Lots of folks use the AWS sections for professional networking. You may find your new boss there :)
Parent - By rusty417 Date 01-11-2008 13:53
Thanks for all the Info Guys. Ill Lookin into the Local
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Becoming a QC