Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Time to weld 12" Diam sched 10 SS pipe?
- - By billhuss64 Date 01-22-2008 16:40
I'm a GC that bidding on a project that includes field welding some 12" Sch 10 SS pipe.  Can someone give me a rule of thumb for how long it should take a certified quality welder to weld each 12" joint in the field?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-22-2008 21:07
Do you need actual weld time or do you need setup, fit up, purge and arc time?  It's about 3/16" wall thickness so it will be a 2 pass weld. I'd say about 45 min of arc time would be safe to allow for grinding and cooling inbetween passes.  I'm sure you will have guys that can get it done faster that don't allow much time for cooling and can slick her in with out much grinding.  The Your talking GTAW for a process right?
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 01-22-2008 23:04
Be careful with this pricing, Kix is right purge time can kill you and welders differ in speed. I would reccomend aligning yourself with a local fab shop and get pricing on spool sheets. Assuming there are spool sheets available (pipe drawings)
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-24-2008 13:09
Notice I only said arc time.  Pipe is allready fit up, purged and tacked.  I agree with the list spools due to be fabed would help out a lot.
Parent - - By louieRD (**) Date 01-23-2008 02:42
what procedure/code ?
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 01-25-2008 01:30
don't forget the cool down time between passes to keep the stainless from "burning up" and hooching up time in windy conditions.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Time to weld 12" Diam sched 10 SS pipe?