Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making the Move from Welder to CWI. Suggestions?
- - By awspartb (***) Date 01-24-2008 17:02
I could really use some advice on how to make the move from welder to CWI.  I'm a union Boilermakers and have worked in a wide range of welding jobs for 21 years.  Just passed my CWI in Sept of 2007 and I'm ready to take the plunge.  I'd like to stay in the Boilermakers and I know many inspectors negotiate a pay and benefits package that pays all the union benefits.  I'd be interested to know how to go about doing this as my hall is not fond of people looking for work on their own.  They prefer having total control over who gets what and nepotism is rampant.

I could really use some sound advice on this one from someone who's made the move themselves.  PM appreciated.

Thanks
Parent - - By weldgault (**) Date 01-24-2008 19:50
What part of the country are you from and what are you good at.  Would not have to ask, except you must be ashamed to post your information.   John
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 01-24-2008 19:56
I not sure why you are insulting me.  I'm just asking a question on breaking into inspection.
Parent - - By weldgault (**) Date 01-24-2008 20:25
Not an insult, just would like to know who and what you are.  John
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 01-24-2008 20:33
Union Boilermaker and new CWI.  I thought I posted that in the first posting. 
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 02-04-2008 01:44
Judgeing from some of your past post you might want to change your attitude a bit so as your life span could be longer.
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 02-04-2008 02:19
Thanks for being concerned about my health and life cycle.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-24-2008 20:33
Easy weldgault and PartB I would of taken that the wrong way to.  Anyway, your in luck if you want to get into inspection because there are lots of jobs out there, but they might not be right in you exact area.  You ought to hit up some of the contracters you've worked for.  A few of my pipefitter brothers have joined up with a few contractors as there inspector/welding guru's.  I came from a pipefitting background and now my title is welding engineer for this company.  I finished school and got my CWI to get here and I know where you are coming from.  I miss pipe fitting a lot sometimes and will probably go back.  I wish I could do something for my Hall and or old contractors so I could work with all my bro's again and get paid more then I used too.
Parent - - By awspartb (***) Date 01-24-2008 20:37
Thanks Kix.  I'm thinking of applying to the union contractors on my own and start off by working under my union contract.  I think this would be best.   Would you suggest just sending them all a resume and see if I get any bites?  
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-24-2008 21:07
Yes, thats a good way.  Are you working for one right now?  If so hit them up.  After I came up here I found out my hall was looking to make a couple guys become CWI's because the U.A. wants each hall to have a couple on hand for certification purposes.  I wish I could go back and then they would give me Foreman scale or GF scale to get a certification program organized someday.  Like when we go out on a job our L.U. could provide the CWI and guy who tests all the welders and makes sure all the welding doc's are in line.  I also know of a few guys that went to work for our contractors that somehow stayed affiliated with our union, but I don't know how they did it.  I know all the guys were allways bad mouthing them though. lol  You'll find out who you're friends really are huh.
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 01-24-2008 23:00
Laid off right now as are most Boilermakers.  Spring and Fall are the outages and then we can't man work.  The rest of the time we starve.
Parent - By Razorbacks Date 01-24-2008 20:40
I'm looking for a job closer to home....near Arkansas. I just got in the Union and  I don't know where to look to find one closer to home.
Parent - - By weldgault (**) Date 01-24-2008 20:48
Kix, why did you post your info. and others do not.  Nothing implied just would like to know.  John
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-24-2008 21:09
Because I have identity theft protection.lol
Parent - - By weldgault (**) Date 01-24-2008 21:23
Best one today.  Thanks   John
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 08:44
Hey John?
Were you born in 1924 or is that the day of the month, and your birth year is missing? Just curious ;) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 08:57 Edited 01-25-2008 09:00
Hey John?
Were you born in 1924 or is that the day of the month, and your birth year is missing? Just curious ;) :) :)

Hey Boilermaker Brother!!! If I were you, I'd give mike a PM shout!!! He's a straight shooter besides, he's a brother who's been there, and done that and, is always willing to help a brother out!!! Hi Mike!!! Sorry I haven't replied back yet when you sent me those funny jokes
I've been a bit busy lately so, you know how that goes :) :) :) Keep-em coming brother because they sure make me laugh :) :) :) All the best you brother Boilermakers!!!
Ya just gotta love that "lifelock!!!" Beautiful one Kix :) :) :

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 01-25-2008 07:35
If you get a dispatch to a job that employs QC personel, there is nothing the hall can do to stop you from taking a job in the QC department. I am out of local 107 and the only job coming up meant taking a dispatch with a contractor that, well, I just refuse to work for. Enough said. I contacted my former boss about having him sign my renewal for my CWI, He asked me what I was up too and I told him getting ready to go to work for a contractor I really did not want to go to. He told me that he would make a call. I got a call back a hour later, with a job offer as a QC superintendent in New Mexico. The pay they offered was great, windshield time, mileage, sub and a dam decent wage and 7-11's for now, and soon to be 7-13's. If the hall sends you to a job, there is nothing stopping you from negociating a superintendents position with that company. The company I am presently working for, is paying all my benefits to the international at 107 rates. If you would like send me a private message, and I will fill you in on more of the specifics. Remember, the ones that are going to give you the most grief about this, are usually the ones that have alot to say, but hide behind the union because, well, you being a boilermaker like me, know exactly what I am saying.

Mike
Parent - By awspartb (***) Date 01-25-2008 11:30
PM sent.  Many thanks for the info.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making the Move from Welder to CWI. Suggestions?