Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anybody using Excel/digital camera to document inspection?
- - By Stringer (***) Date 01-24-2008 03:57
I'm looking at setting up as an independent, replete with LLC paperwork, minimum liability insurance, and my visual inspection tools. I thought I'd use my laptop with a digital camera to supplement a paper record. Any input from the forum on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-24-2008 04:36 Edited 01-24-2008 13:54
I recommend the Nikon S-10 Coolpix digital camera.  It has an internal focusing lens set, and is the only camera with a standard lens that has a macro-focus distance of 20 mm.  The body is split in the middle and rotates about 300 degrees.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-13-2008 22:17
can you explain the macro function, i have it but seemed to not take as good a shot as my normal mode!
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 02-16-2008 00:24
Macro is supposed to be for closeups.  If you can't get it to focus close up, push the macro button and see if it gets better.  But then remember to turn it off (if it doesn't turn off automatically) when you're not close up.

Hg
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-16-2008 13:25
Your operating instructions for your camera should have specifications for focusing distances. These are often listed a minimum focusing distance. If the camera has a Macro function then the range for that setting will be listed also.

Some cameras may not give good results when using a flash at very short distances. I have used a white piece of paper over the flash to soften it a little.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-24-2008 12:42
I've seen the pictures taken with the camera Joe is talking about...it does a good job.

As an inspector following in behind another, you just get a better feeling of the job when you can see pictures of what the previous inspector has taken of the work in his/her reports. Documentation with pictures in reports of any problems or items that may need approval from the EOR is great to see. The ole addage that a picture is worth a thousand words is never truer in a case like this. All parties involved can see exactly what is involved and can make better decisions based on the report.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-24-2008 15:22
Other than the good advice already given, I'd add a few things.
Using excel does ok, but so does word if properly formated and to my mind, it's a bit easier to use when it comes to embedding multimedia such as video.
I would also add that if your going to do this, it would be advisable to pick up a book on photography. Things like proper use of the Fstop, photographic law of thirds, and the host of other matters related can go a long way to creating the image needed to make your point.

Which goes to another point. A lot of people make these little tinny photos and expect them to work. I always take mine in maximum resolution, and keep that as the master photo for that particular one. I can shrink it to fit a report form, but should anyone have questions later, I have a full res version to send along.
It should also be remembered that the photo needs to be an accurate representation of what your looking at. Lighting and magnification can make a 1/16" crack look like like the grand canyon. While that big image of a crack may be an attention grabber, as a mimimum, always use a scale so the image is not mis-representing actual values.

My two cents worth,
Gerald
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-24-2008 16:03
I build most of my forms in Excel, usually adding the Excel sheet into a word document because I have templates with company logo or disclaimer built in to those.  Once this is done, you just call-up the word document, click on the main body and it opens the Excel file allowing you to add data.  Once the reports are complete, I convert to an Adobe (.pdf) file.  Mostly for security, but some of my reports have several pages of photographs and Adobe creates a smaller file making it easier to e-mail.  The newest version of Adobe allows you to create fill-in-the-blank forms from any form (computer generated or scanned). This is very handy if you need to use non-electronic forms. 

I have been through many cameras in 30 years.  High and low end SLR's, Polaroid's and about 5 digital models.  I like the upper end models (as photography is a hobby) but job site's will take their toll on cameras.  The Sony "H" series cameras have been very good to me ($500 range) and late last year I purchased a couple of Canon 570's ($180 range) There are many good camera choices for documentation out there. You need to review features and your budget.

Some things I would recommend would be:

1.  A camera that uses rechargeable AA batteries.  These are the easiest to work with and in a real bind, you can use standard AA's.

2.  Get a camera with a screw on lens extension and a clear filter.  This keeps all of the dust out of the moving parts of the camera lens.  The clear filter also takes all of the splatters or stray sparks.

3.  A camera with a large preview screen.  Small screens make it impossible to accurately preview your pictures.  Also get clear protector sheets for the screen.

4..  Buy a good hard side case.  In mine you can see a mini tripod, batteries, USB cables, memory cards and USB card reader.

5.  Get a good photo program for your laptop.  Some digitals tend to shoot "undersharp" pictures which can be easily corrected, as can conditions of poor lighting or contrast.  You will also be able to add specific identification, notes or arrows to your photographs as well.

6.  Remember that most digital cameras also record video, sometimes even a 30 second video can show much more information than a series of photos.

Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-24-2008 23:11
The best way to finish a report is with Adobie .pdf. You can make your files in Word and excel also add pictures then put thme all together. If you deal with the Gov. all the reports will need to be in .pdf. Also you can lock a file where it cannot be modified. THe cost is 4 bills and change, but a great program.
BABRT's
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-25-2008 02:00
First of all, thanks for everyone's valuable time. I hope I can contribute something to your causes in kind.
As it happens, I've been a photographer all my life and my wife has a graphics and publishing business, so I'm hip to F-stops. My last three camera purchases have been Canon, the latest being the G9. But it belongs to her. Dang.
That's great info about the govt./pdf requirement. Turns out I've got a bridge to do that's on Natl. Forest land but owned by the Utes and the remodel is funded by three oil companies. Should be a great first CWI assignment.
I'm downloading the bridge code tonight, and then I'll head out tomorrow to view the plans and specifications of the bridge remodel. It gets some grinding on old beams, some studs, and maybe a couple of other welds. Then I need to submit a proposal to the sub I'm under. They will write the insurance, so I'm only interested in the experience and building relationships. Besides doing the best job I can, of course.
Any ideas on proposal writing?
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-25-2008 02:02
First of all, thanks for everyone's valuable time. I hope I can contribute something to your causes in kind.
As it happens, I've been a photographer all my life and my wife has a graphics and publishing business, so I'm hip to F-stops. My last three camera purchases have been Canon, the latest being the G9. But it belongs to her. Dang.
That's great info about the govt./pdf requirement. Turns out I've got a bridge to do that's on Natl. Forest land but owned by the Utes and the remodel is funded by three oil companies. Should be a great first CWI assignment.
I'm downloading the bridge code tonight, and then I'll head out tomorrow to view the plans and specifications of the bridge remodel. It gets some grinding on old beams, some studs, and maybe a couple of other welds. I'll need to submit a proposal to the sub I'm under. They will write the insurance, so I'm only interested in the experience and building relationships. Besides doing the best job I can, of course.
Any ideas on proposal writing?
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 01-25-2008 13:44
What has helped me often is to use a camera with the time/date stamp feature turned on.  Helps keeps the pictures in some chonological order.  I have a great memory...just getting kinda short lately!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 13:58
I hear ya Bill...on the memory thing....LOL
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 15:17
Good point
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 01-25-2008 19:45
You can get programs for free or cheap that convert documents to PDF, if you don't need to be able to modify the PDF in any way later.  PrimoPDF is one; I'm sure there are plenty others.  Instead of printing to a printer, you print to this program and it makes a PDF of what you would have printed.

I second the macro mode.  Practice with it in different light conditions on subjects of various textures; sometimes I run into trouble getting our office camera to focus close up even in macro mode.  Not that our office camera is top of the line or anything.

I also second the AA batteries.  The last thing you need is to have forgotten your charger, or to be out on the road nowhere near an electrical outlet.  My camera eats batteries, though, and so do some other cameras I've borrowed.  See what you can find out about the camera's expected battery life.  It seems to me that the non-rechargeables (especially the kind marketed for electronic devices, like the blue energizers) last a lot longer than the rechargeables.  Hang on to the batteries that won't work in your camera any more, though; they'll probably still work in a lot of other devices.

And I second putting a scale in the picture.  That's really important.  If you don't have a scale on hand, use an object of known size such a coin.

Hg
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 20:21 Edited 01-25-2008 21:41
Here is the use of a scale to show what I thought was some weird engineering.

Are the 1" A490 bolts worth more than this W8x10 beam?

Edit: I looked at the head of the bolt it is a A325, not an A490, but still those bolts are worth over 36kips and the web of that W8x10 is between 1/8 and 3/16"

Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 02-05-2008 18:30
They don't look like 1 inch but yes (using my own quick check program) the Gr 50 beam at 3/16" web thickness and a Gr 36 3/8" clip the 2 bolt web safe shear is around 16.8 kips (bolt group 35.8 kips) With 3/4 inch bolts this drops to 12.6 kips (bolt group 20.2 kips) Noting the F1852 TC bolts are not pretension yet. But "Yes" total agreement; take pics of anything/everything, "CYA". It is a lot easier to explain to the Engineer at a later date just why the outstanding discrepancy is there.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-25-2008 17:27
I used an access database with tables setup for customer>projects>purchase order> PO Line Items> inspections performed> related pictures etc. The pictures are best linked as opposed to imbedded as an OLE object as that causes the database to bloat.

Excel will also work as a table with links to pictures or you can embed them in reports generated with most office software. The problem with using individual forms and reports for puctures is the inability to easily search for them later however it is a much simpler setup.

Things to remember for me when using a camera for inspections have been

1) Use the macro setting for pictures showing detail NOT zooming in digitally.
2) Flash for macro pictures can sometimes wash out the picture. I have placed a small piece of white paper over the flash to soften shadows. Additional handheld lighting helps but changes the color balance slightly.
3) If the camera has a voice record or movie feature, I use it to record information about the shot.
4) Small tabletop tripods can be helpful in low light situations requiring longer shutter speeds. Natural lighting seems to work better than flash but requires the camera to be steady.

Have a nice day

Gerald
http://weldingdata.com/
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 01-26-2008 16:05
Wow, these are great posts. Many thanks to all for your knowledge. I have been researching the opinions of others regarding the latest versions of Word and Excel, and frankly, people just hate them. I gave up on Windows 98 recently and bought this blasted Vista machine. It orphaned my printer and Canon G3 right off the bat. I've replaced the printer, but now I'm shopping for a camera and I really appreciate the hints on batteries and macro.
Pipewelder 1999, you mention an access database...could you tell me what version you like? Maybe I'm needing something older with pulldown menus. The knock on the new Office programs is a new 'Ribbon' interface that features bells and whistles, but hides the basic functions.
Parent - By Sean (**) Date 02-13-2008 14:11
Have you considered using a PC Tablet.  Its like a laptop and a clipboard rolled into one and can convert handwriting to text....  Its something I use in doing my visual inspections & crane certifications, then the report is done right then and there.  Combine in with a free pdf maker (www.pdf995.com), a WiFi connection or "air card" and you are off to the races.  I think Access would also be a great help me, but I'm not access friendly

Sean
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anybody using Excel/digital camera to document inspection?