Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Role of ROOT of the weld ??
- - By sachit_baroda Date 01-23-2008 09:47
frds,m a novice for this technicalities of WELDING,so just wanted to know abit about ROOT of the weld and what role does it play in the strength of welding..?? hoping for ur favourable replies..
thnx in advance..kip guiding me.!!! :-)
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-23-2008 19:44
The root is the first pass of a weld, and so it's the most important one; as the root of a tree is the most important part of the tree.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-23-2008 20:38
Hello sachit_baroda, As professor Crisi stated, the root of the weld is the basic building block of any welding joint. In some cases the root could be exposed on the opposite side of a welded joint, such as is the case with a full penetration open-root joint. In other cases the root could be tied into a backing strip where full penetration joints utilize backing strips to aid in forming the root weld and tying the two parts together and supporting the welding filler metal as it is applied. In the case of fillet welds the root weld could describe the initial pass for multi-pass welds used on certain lap-joint, T-joint, socket weld, or other similar type weld configurations. On a single pass fillet weld it would describe the point where the weld bead actually ties the two members to one another. The root has to have complete penetration to the corner of the joint so as not to allow voids, or to trap slag or allow other types of discontinuities to be presents as these could lead to weld failure. Where the root is exposed in items such as the I.D. of piping systems, tanks, or other vessels, it is important that the root is properly formed and void of areas of undercut, underfill, overfill, and incomplete penetration. Any of the previosly mentioned items and a number of others could lead to failure of a welded joint. I am sure others can expand on this explanation. Just my $.02 worth. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 03:29
My response is that the root of a joint is where the two members are in close proximity to each other, i.e., they may be touching or there may be a small space (root opening) between the two members.

As to what roll the root plays is dependent on the joint type and if it is a groove edge preparation, what the groove configuration is and whether the weld is a partial joint penetration or a complete joint penetration weld.

In the case of a PJP weld, the root acts as a stress concentrator if it is placed in tension.

For the rest of the story, I concede to aevald's excellent response.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 01-25-2008 14:05
The root of the weld is the point at which the back of the weld intersects the base metal surfaces.  As for the role it plays regarding strength, it's role is equally as important as any other part of the weld.  
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-26-2008 15:44
I should have read the question more closely!

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Role of ROOT of the weld ??