Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 2205 ss
- - By jbeard (*) Date 01-22-2008 03:54
i have a question about 2205 ss.what exactly is the stuff.that is all i am currently welding right now and i have heard several theories on what it is,for example one hand says all it is is pickle stainless,another person said it has a a coating on it,and another says it is low grade ss,i dont know what to think,i dont think it is low grade because it welds kinda like 316 but better,you can come out of your puddle almost emmidiatlly without leaving a fisheye.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2008 06:02
It's a duplex stainless steel

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=958
Parent - - By QUOCVUONG (*) Date 01-22-2008 10:42
Duplex SS-phase balances in the Ferritic and Austenitic structure
C 0.03
Cr 21-23
Ni 4.5-6.5
Mo 2.5-3.5
N 0.08-0.20
Consumables matching: AWS Class ER2209 for TIG or E2209-XX for SMAW
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-22-2008 14:54
It is absolutely astonishing the misconceptions that can occur in the industry over alloys.
The article Lawrence posted is a good intro.
Phase balance of the material is critical. AWS D.10 committee will be coming out with an excellent Recommended Practice on duplex before too long. It is in the TAC approval stage right now. If you plan on welding more of this stuff I recommend informing yourself more thoroughly. ASM has excellent info in Volume 6 of the Handbook. The alloy is generally intended for moderate corrosion with high strength applications.
The primary difference between duplex and the 300 series SS's is that heat input is to be established as a window as opposed to a maximum as is common with 300 SS's.
Do a search on this forum and you will find a lot more good info.
Parent - - By QUOCVUONG (*) Date 01-24-2008 16:51
By the way we are talking about duplex material
in case of runing PQR coupon is pipe 2" sch 80 with TIG process
one guide has suggestion that should use the shielding gas with 2%N+98%Ar.
he said that it is good for mechanical property of weldment. So what do you think about this matter?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-24-2008 17:46
Nitrogen in the shielding gas is used to replace nitrogen that is lost in the arc process.
2% has been used. Anymore than that and you will notice tungsten deterioration, since Nitrogen is an active gas.
Nitrogen is added predominantly to acheive phase balance with rapid weld regime cooling. If your getting your balance with Ar there is little point,. Unless for some other specific purpose. Do a Search on the forum you will find voluminous discussion on these matters.
Parent - - By QUOCVUONG (*) Date 01-25-2008 00:40 Edited 01-25-2008 11:16
Thank for your response
it has one more other explanation if 2% Nitrogen is added in shelding gas that will improve corrosion resistant property of weldment.
Have you ever heard that?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-25-2008 14:27
Only that it is intended to stabilize the austenitic microstructure, predominantly for pitting resistance (see Pitting Resistance Equivalency Number-PRN). Too much nitrogen or too slow a cooling with higher nitrogen can actually form chromium nitrides (CrN, CrN2), that can be detrimental to corrosion resistance. Nitrogen will also increase the upper transformation temp and thereby reduce the extent of the high temp HAZ and therefore grain growth.
Parent - By QUOCVUONG (*) Date 01-26-2008 04:18
I fully agree with you,
Nitrogen is important for the corrosion resistance of Duplex/superduplex stainless steels as is indicated by the Pitting Resistance Equivalent number (PRE);where: PRE = Cr + 3.3Mo + 16N
When depositing the pass run in duplex/superduplex stainless steel there can be some loss of nitrogen from the weld pool when Ar shielding gas is used.
For example in a wire with 0.14% nitrogen (AWS class.ER2209) we have seen deposit analysis in the weldment of 0.10% when Ar shielding is used.  If the 98%Ar + 2%N shielding gas is used it replace nitrogen that is lost in the weld pool and the deposit analysis is normally approximately the same as the wire.   
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 10-22-2008 23:02 Edited 10-22-2008 23:05
I've been welding Duplex (2205), for about 3 months. We using  Inconnel  ER NiCrMo-14 to weld it.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-23-2008 12:30
NiCrMo-14 (Inco's old 686 Green Death alloy) is a good choice I think, though a bit overkill for 2205. Its a conservative, safe, and expensive choice.
Parent - By 464238 (**) Date 11-03-2008 21:09 Edited 11-03-2008 21:13
Duplex stainless steels (DSS) are finding increasing use in
the refining industry, primarily because they often offer an
economical combination of strength and corrosion resistance.
These stainless steels typically have an annealed structure
that is generally half austenite and half ferrite, although the
ratios can vary from approximately 35/65 to 55/45. The benefits
expected from the use of DSS are maintained even to a
ratio of 25:75 austenite/ferrite volume fraction. Most refinery
applications where DSS are used are corrosive, and DSS or
other higher alloys are required for adequate corrosion resistance.
However, some plants are also starting to consider DSS
as a "baseline" material.

They are using it in applications
where carbon steel may be acceptable, but DSS have been
shown to be more economical considering their higher
strength and better long-term reliability.
DSS are often used in lieu of austenitic stainless steels, in
services where the common austenitics would have problems
with chloride pitting or chloride stress corrosion cracking.

For more information see API 938C (use of Duplex stainless steels in the oil refining industry)
Parent - By vittorio (*) Date 11-21-2008 10:40
this is a good reference for Duplex Welding

how to weld duplex stainless steels (avesta)
http://www.avestawelding.com/3756.epibrw

Vittorio

Corrosion Protection
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 2205 ss